What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-12-2011 (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Went in today at 11:30ish, got the last copy of Cars. There were still about 6-7 copies of The Incredibles left. Got the $22 deal.

Originally Posted by John Gido

The coupons actually say "Coupon may not be reproduced, transferred or used in conjunction with any other offer", and when printed out it states in bold letters underneath, "This coupon cannot be combined with any other offer.".

So, did anyone have any luck combining the offers?
My wife is one of those coupon queens (although I think the ones on Exteme Couponing are morons for overbuying), so she can probably do a better job of explaining it, but here's the deal.

The coupons are manufacturer's coupons. You can use one manufacturer's coupon per item regardless of any price reductions or combo purchase discounts or store coupons that the retailer is offering. The reason for this is that the retailer just has to send in the coupons to the manufacturer, and they get reimbursed the full value of the coupon plus an $0.08 handling fee for each coupon. So, in effect, stores are getting paid to accept the coupons. The language on the coupon is only to prevent people you from redeeming multiple manufacturer's coupons on a single item.

Any store that refuses to accept the Disney coupons on this deal are total morons and should not be getting your business.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

Depends on which last one you are talking about, but the main differences I can figure:

Different slipcase

Adds the DVD (from the original release though the first re-release was a combo)

I think the uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio track has been replaced by DTS-HD (unconfirmed so far)

Someone said one of the shorts had been upgraded to HD instead of SD.

All true except the audio, my package lists only an uncompressed audio track. Haven't opened to listen yet.[/QUOTE]

It looks like the new audio is indeed the same excellent PCM 5.1 track (i think the Canadian version is TrueDTS from reading elsewhere). Another poster did say his original

Bluray audio default was not the PCM track and had to manually selected, but this release the PCM was the default. Same poster also said a couple new previews were

included that weren't on the original release.

Overall a minimal change over the first Bluray release.

Also the new release has Disney Magic Code to get a Cars 2 movie ticket (or at least an 8.50 discount). I don't know anyone who has entered the MAgic Code from the original,

but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that code now allowed a ticket as well. I do suspect that most people with the original would likely have already registered that code, but

I'm sure there are more than a few unused codes.

I just checked my original and both the shorts of Mater & the GhostLight and One Man Band were both 1080p.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I feel fortunate that a BB, not the one closest to me, but one within 20 minutes actually still had both sets last night at 6pm. I called around after the person who was supposed to use my coupons first thing in the morning ended up changing their work schedule at the last minute and couldn't be there until after 3PM.

Much to my delight, when I called the one store left that had stock reporting as available on line, actually held their last copies (they confirmed they had them before I got off the phone) for me while I drove over. $21.98 for two films I really wanted is a shocker. SO nice! :)

Will have to make a point to shop there again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by nolesrule

The coupons are manufacturer's coupons. You can use one manufacturer's coupon per item regardless of any price reductions or combo purchase discounts or store coupons that the retailer is offering. The reason for this is that the retailer just has to send in the coupons to the manufacturer, and they get reimbursed the full value of the coupon plus an $0.08 handling fee for each coupon. So, in effect, stores are getting paid to accept the coupons. The language on the coupon is only to prevent people you from redeeming multiple manufacturer's coupons on a single item.

Any store that refuses to accept the Disney coupons on this deal are total morons and should not be getting your business.

Probably true. But that 8 cents handling fee has not changed in my lifetime, I think. I'd imagine it costs more than 8 cents to process and redeem the coupon now than it did back in the 1980's. So stores probably end up losing money on the manufacturer coupons. If it's a $5 coupon, the retailer gives the customer a $5 discount, then gets $5.08 back from the manufacturer. But it may have cost 50 cents in labor handling and processing to get that reimbursement, so the retailer has lost an additional 42 cents by accepting the manufacturer coupon.

Why would they absorb additional loss on the sale if they're already giving an in-store discount, as well? That's probably why some refuse to stack the discounts.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For anyone having issues with BB taking DMR coupons and getting the $10 discount -- apparently more than a few complaints have been lodged on the BB Customer Support forum and via the 1-800 numbers -- a recent Corporate Moderator recently posted this online. From reading quite a few thread, BB seems to be giving out a lot of free reward zone points to try to soothe some bad feelings over this issue. I really wish BB would just post their Corporate Policy on PM and coupons like Target has and this would be a moot issue, but I've yet to find anything tangible to print out even in the BB FAQ which is less than forthcoming.

"At this time, all US Best Buy® locations should be accepting the Disney Movie Rewards manufacturer coupons on qualifying titles. This includes “Cars” and “The Incredibles” while also honoring the combined savings of $10 off your purchase if both movies are purchased together. The Disney Movie Reward coupons are manufacturer coupons and should be processed as such by your local store.

Thank you!"

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/Disney-Movie-Rewards-Coupons/td-p/269216

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
Originally Posted by David Norman

Thank you so much for this post. After having two stores turn me down, I did call BB Customer Service and they are sending me a $10 gift card for my trouble. If I can still score the deal with the $10 off and able to use the 2 coupons I will be very happy. I will be printing the above link and walking it into a BB store tomorrow. Now I just gotta hope they still have inventory since most were pretty bare on Tuesday much less tomorrow.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Had no problem stacking the $10 BB discount for the combined Cars/Incredibles purchase with the $18 in DMR coupons this afternoon...ended up paying only $22 for both of them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just downloaded the coupon for The Incredibles. But it seems the Disney coupons are only for customers to upgrade from the earlier DVD or Blu Ray of Cars. Since I never got Cars, I guess I'm out of luck for the Disney coupon.

Since that great post above says Best Buy will honor the Disney coupon and the Best Buy offer to buy both discs and get $10 off, I wonder if I buy both I get the $10 off from Best Buy and the $10 off for The Incredibles? Better then a poke in the eye if they do!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from Best Buy. To answer my own question, the Harry Potter exclusives are an either/or situation. You can either get the exclusive four-disc Blu-Ray version with the extra 65 minutes of special features, or you can get the exclusive three-disc Blu-Ray version with the book on the making of the Three Brothers sequence. The Three Brothers exclusive does not contain both.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FYI, the Boynton Beach Best Buy had plenty of copies of both new Pixar sets last night. No trouble at all stacking the coupons with the store discount. If I sell my old copy of Cars for $5 it'll all have been free (once we use those movie ticket coupons). :)

There were also a bunch of catalog BDs on sale for $9.99 with a $10 coupon to see Paul or Your Highness!

FWIW, on the video game front they had the PS3 and 360 editions of Tony Hawk Ride with the skateboard controller on clearance for $20, the collector's edition of PS3 Bioshock 2 for $35 (in a huge box with a vinyl record of the first game's soundtrack), and PS3 Rock Band 3 (probably 360 as well) for $20.

Oh, as for the 8 cents handling. . .unless the shortfall of the 16 cent handling fee for the 2 DMR coupons crosses the cost line, it's still good for the store because it means someone bought the movies there instead of somewhere else. And even if it does, it could work as a loss leader.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Nelson Au said:
I just downloaded the coupon for The Incredibles. But it seems the Disney coupons are only for customers to upgrade from the earlier DVD or Blu Ray of Cars. Since I never got Cars, I guess I'm out of luck for the Disney coupon.

Since that great post above says Best Buy will honor the Disney coupon and the Best Buy offer to buy both discs and get $10 off, I wonder if I buy both I get the $10 off from Best Buy and the $10 off for The Incredibles? Better then a poke in the eye if they do!
here you go use this code to get the cras coupon. 786936244250

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Probably true. But that 8 cents handling fee has not changed in my lifetime, I think. I'd imagine it costs more than 8 cents to process and redeem the coupon now than it did back in the 1980's. So stores probably end up losing money on the manufacturer coupons. If it's a $5 coupon, the retailer gives the customer a $5 discount, then gets $5.08 back from the manufacturer. But it may have cost 50 cents in labor handling and processing to get that reimbursement, so the retailer has lost an additional 42 cents by accepting the manufacturer coupon.

Why would they absorb additional loss on the sale if they're already giving an in-store discount, as well? That's probably why some refuse to stack the discounts.

Why would they absorb a 42 cent loss? Because NOT doing so would cause potential customers to say forget this store and take their business for this and potentially all future transactions to a competitor. Seems like a no-brainer to me for them to accept the coupons.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Any details on that BB exclusive bonus disc for the HP 7.1 BD yet?

I'm debating on whether to save some time/effort (walking to nearby B&N vs heading over to the mile-plus-away BB) and $$$ (like $7-8 worth) on the non-exclusive combo pack from B&N or to go for the BB exclusive. There's a 25%-off in-store coupon for B&N members right now (on top of the usual 10% off) -- and B&N is currently running a 40%-off sale on "kids' titles", including HP 7.1.

In fact, I may also see about trying a stacked coupons deal for the Incredibles BD at B&N (though I'll need to head over to a different, farther B&N for that) w/ that sale going since I already have the original Cars BD and probably won't be seeing Cars 2 at the theater. We enjoy Cars, but not *that* much to feel compelled to see it in the theaters, so the cost savings on tix isn't that big an incentive for us although I may just end up going for that anyway and just sell or give away the old BD version, especially if I end up going to BB to pick up the HP 7.1 exclusive...

_Man_

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

There are two special features. The first is a 45-minute documentary on the making of the movie called "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1: Behind the Magic" (say that five times fast), and the other is a 20-minute featurette about the extensive location shooting for the film called "On the Road". The bonus disc is a Blu-Ray, not a DVD like some past BB exclusive bonus discs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting -- makes me wonder if those 2 docs/featurettes won't make up the bulk of whatever additional stuff comes w/ the Ultimate Edition (or maybe this is actually the Ultimate Edition released early exclusively for BB since it's on its own BD disc although I'd think the UE would include an extended version of the movie).

Thanks for the details, Adam.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those still looking for deals on Incredibles/Cars -- Toys R Us is running a 2 day sale (15th/16th) which gives a $10 discount for buying both Blurays (their regular promo)

plus plus B1 Get 40% off 2nd Movie and so far allowing the 2 DMR coupons for a total pretax price around $15 +tax

Incredibles Blu 29.99

Cars Blu 24.99

-$10 Combo purchase

-$12 (40% off Cars list price of $30)

-$18 DMR

Edited -- it seems to be even better since the computer is calculating the 40% from the list price of 30 instead of the sales price of 25

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the coupon code Tony D. I will try it. Presumably on the Disney site.

Thanks David, I was wondering if Toys R Us would be doing this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks