What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-4-2008 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, there really haven't been a bunch of exciting BD titles coming out over the past few weeks, and HD DVD was on the ropes enough that sales to keep the numbers looking good haven't been necessary. The BDA and associated companies haven't likely felt much need to buy or barter for space in the weekly circulars as they might have in previous weeks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the bulk of the 2 for 1 sales sales were happening around the holidays when they try everything to get you in the door. Besides that Blu Ray is a very small fraction of the market, it's a dead time of year for retail so I'm not at all surprised that there's not many Blu Ray sales and I doubt there would be a sale on Blu Ray or HD DVD even if the format war was still on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

There's been an awful lot of speculation, Keith in the HD Software column about what the end of the format war is going to do to software prices. Some speculate BD prices will increase because it is still a niche market and has no competition now with HD-DVD. Others figure prices will come down as manufacturers try to compete with SD-DVD.

If you are interested, J&R.com is having a Blu-ray sale of sorts on Fox titles...but the sale ends soon!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Best Buy had a small BD sale last week (there's a thread about it here).

Columbia House finally included HD and BD in its b1g1 sale on Friday, but that wasn't hi-def specific.

Also, Circuit City lets you buy online and pick up in store just like Best Buy. Maybe Keith's local store doesn't participate for some reason.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
At this point, might be worthwhile to keep a lookout for occasional Blu-ray sales at J&R. Their previous sale a couple weeks back was not bad at all. Not quite as good as BOGOs, but no worse than B2G1 (and moderately better in some cases due to selection and/or pricing specifics). The current one isn't much, of course, as Mike implied.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yet who went ahead and ordered himself a disc off that very sale...?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

And...I'm a resident of NY and get hit with their sales tax charge! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Hey, Andrea! They are those doodads that get added on to a standard zipper pull to add either function or fashion to a piece of clothing.

Here's a pic of some functional zipper pulls that help people with disabilities be able to use their zippers more easily. You can bet the 101 Dalmatians lean more to the "fashion" side of the equation. :D

Here's some "fashionable" zipper pulls:

I kinda feel like "the answer man!" :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thanks for the round-up as always.

Whenever I see "12 Angry Men" I'm reminded of the hilarious SCTV sketch which should have been included here as a bonus. The SCTV version of 12 Angry Men "starred" Charles Nelson Riley, Truman Capote, Richard Simmons, Don Deluise, Rip Taylor and others. :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That just sounds hilarious based on your description. I immediately went running to YouTube...but, alas, came up empty. :frowning:

Sounds like the proverbial "hoot!" :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For my fellow HD DVD stragglers, BB's site currently has the high-def versions of Into the Wild and Things We Lost... (as well as last week's Beowulf) listed for just $20.99 each.

I doubt those prices are valid in-store (though I don't know), but in-store pickup should work on them tomorrow (or now for Beowulf).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Mike: Weren't the three "fashionable" zipper-pulls on the far right the ones Target gave away with the copies of Laugh-In Season 1 a few years back? :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
This Mrs. Doubtfire is the "re-release" of the new version that came out in very limited markets some time ago, correct?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I was in Target this morning to pick up 101 (LOVE the zipper clips!) and found the SNL: Lost in the 80's for $14.99 along with the TCM Forbidden Hollywood for $39.99! Kinda surprised that they had it and the price is really good.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I was really surprised that they didn't have either Love Boat or Magnum PI, esp. since I seem to recall seeing previous Magnum sets there before, IIRC.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My Target & Wal-Mart didn't have The Love Boat either. That IS surprising.

I got a copy @ Best Buy. I also saw them at FYE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks