What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-11-2008 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Me too. And it really makes me have zero sympathy for all the stories about how bad the financial side of things is at CC. I just have to shake my head at their high prices, poorly displayed DVDs, and overstaffed stores (staffing would generally be a positive, but at CC there are so many associates with nothing to do they just congregate in social packs and, if you actually want to talk to someone, you have to try and tear one of them away from the party). Why do they think anyone would WANT to shop there?

Just look at Best Buy, which this week has a two-for-$30 deal which includes "101". I'd be all over that (because I still don't have "Aristocats" either), except that I just ordered "101" from Amazon for $15.99. :angry:

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Happy Birthday, Mike from another 57 year-old. (Hey, jack, we gotta stick together!)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

When I saw the "101" price in the CC flyer, I thought, "you are prominently promoting this like I should think it's a good thing?!" I could understand walking into the store after release week, wanting to buy a copy and seeing it for $21.99. I would have gone elsewhere to buy it...but at least I would understand it. I can't thinking you are selling a single copy of 101 Dalmatians by advertising it @ $21.99 in your store.

"Oooh! I can't wait to get to Circuit City to overpay on a DVD title!" I gotta think even the casual media shopper would know they can do better than that price at most any retailer...whether it's Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I usually avoid WalMart at all costs, but I went there tonight to buy No Country for Old Men with a gift card I've been saving since Christmas.

The gift card wasn't the only reason I went there. I wanted it on Blu-ray, but I didn't want to pay 30 bucks. They had it for 25. That's about as high as I'm willing to go.

The way I see it, there is no reason to pay 30 bucks a pop. I can:

1. Wait for a 2-for-1 Blu-ray sale. (Columbia House has surprisingly good deals occasionally, among other places.)

2. Buy it used on eBay.

3. Rent it. Blockbuster seems to be stocking more copies of new releases on Blu-ray, both in stores and online.

4. Rent the SD version instead. I know the picture quality isn't the same, but it's pretty darn good on my 1080p TV.

I used to make weekly stops at Best Buy on Tuesday for new releases. Not anymore. I had no problem making blind buys on new releases for 15 bucks. But 30 bucks? No way.

I'm going to be very selective when buying movies until the price comes down on software. I was going to buy The Mist, which was one of my favorite movies last year, on SD in a couple of weeks, but I may hold off for the Blu-ray version.

Sorry for the rant, but I figured I'm may not be the only who feels this way.

Happy belated B-day, Mike, and thanks to you and Patrick for the work on the Round Up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
a coupon for $10 off the br of No Country is in the sd of No Country.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark: I understand your point (rant) completely.

As I've noted several times, the only reason I have a Blu-ray player is because I won it in an HTF contest. But I take a very cautious approach to buying BD releases. To add to your list I am, for some reason, finding a fair number of newer BD releases in some of the BD bins "used" and will consider paying that marked down price.

For that matter, a clear majority of my SD-DVD purchases are also in the used bins.

No Country for Old Men is a BD title I decided to splurge on for release week...so I ordered it from amazon for $23.95.

Prices will have to come down...as has been noted numerous times in the HD Software forum...if there is any hope for HD to supercede SD-DVDs among the masses.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
also over on dvdtalk someone posted a scan for this coupon.
I can't link from were I am right now.
I used it today at walmart to get
No Country for under 17 after tax.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I found at Target today:
Tin Man: $19.99
Stargate: $19.99
South Park: $14.99
Fantastic Four Vol 3: $9.99
ID4 (BR): $29.99
I Robot (BR): $34.99

I also noticed that the store I was in had recently reset the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD section; it had been about 60% B-R and 40% HD, but now was about 90%/10%!

troy evans

Screenwriter
I had the same Target experience as well. I picked up ID4 BD there since no one else in my area had it. I thought that was strange ,but, go figure. I decided to get ID4 over I, Robot because the transfer of Robot is pretty nice already. Where as ID4 screamed remaster. I simply had no choice and picked it up.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Spoken like a true HTFer!

=========================

Significant Other: Honey, don't you already have that movie in your collection?

HTFer: But, you don't understand, dear...I had to. I had no choice!

:D

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike and Patrick for the Weekly RoundUp.

I rented No Country for Old Men and Hitman.

I bought Bee Movie and Nancy Drew at Best Buy and PM'd to Circuit City (thank you CC for including pricing in your ad :) ).

I still need to stop by Target and grab Dan in Real Life.

Anyone who bought, or will buy, Bee Movie: Hostess has a $4 MIR promotion - details:
BUY:
One (1) BEE MOVIE® DVD and any two (2) FAMILY-SIZE
PACKAGES OF HOSTESS® products between 3/1/08 and 5/31/08.

SEND:
One (1) legibly hand printed, fully completed original Mail-In Offer
Form either from inside specially marked family-size packages of
HOSTESS® TWINKIES®, CUP CAKES, or DONETTES® (POWDERED
OR FROSTED) or downloaded from Hostess

The UPC symbol neatly cut from the BEE Movie DVD packaging;

A cash register receipt for the BEE MOVIE DVD purchased between
3/1/08 and 5/31/08 with the purchase price of the BEE MOVIE
DVD circled;

Two (2) UPC symbols neatly cut from any FAMILY-SIZE PACKAGES
OF HOSTESS products purchased;

The cash register receipt(s) for the two family-size packages of
Hostess products purchased between 3/1/08 – 5/31/08 with the
purchase price of the two (2) HOSTESS products circled.

RECEIVE:
$4.00 Rebate Check by mail.
Not a bad deal if you're picking-up Bee Movie. I bought 2 bags of Hostess Donettes this morning on sale for $2.00 each, making them essentially free (except for the postage and envelope costs to submit the MIR).

Rebate form link: http://www.hostessbeefunny.com/rebat...VIE_REBATE.pdf

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

"Essentially free" except for the high sugar content, carbohydrates, calories and feelings of remorse after eating them. :laugh:

Thanks for the info, Jeff! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Welp, went to BB yesterday and grabbed No Country and Gattaca (BD's). Forget I had the NCFOM coupon ($10) and $5 off BD's in March (printed from internet, not original). So I went back in today to do a return/rebuy. Completely shot down. They wanted original copies of both coupons. I did a complete return ($58) and came back to work, ordering them and next week's Enchanted on Amazon for a total of $68. Oh well. :)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
There's also a scan for Dan in Real Life and Enchanted out there too...

Yes it's unethical to use a scanned coupon when the original one explicitly states no reproduction/copies allowed...but that never stopped many a person from trying to use one anyways. ;) And if you're concerned about whether a cashier might balk at accepting a scanned coupon--just use the self-checkout at Walmart... :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Amazon has a package deal on the Blus of No Country and Dan in RL. They're $23.95 each, but if you buy them together they take off an additional $6, making it $41.90 shipped for the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks