What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-7-2010 (1 Viewer)

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Thanks, Joe! I was wondering about that. . .was gonna wait until it's cheaper but I'm willing to pay a few bucks (especially since they'd come off a gift card rather than out of my wallet) for a decent copy of the scipt.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that they want $30 for the exclusive version with the script. No thanks. :(

EDIT 2: Be careful! They are listing both the combo pack and the 1-disc BD for $17.99. Make sure you're ordering the combo pack (if that's the one you want).
It's the Blu-ray combo since I picked it up this morning.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JoeBond

If they have it Travis...it's just weird that they didn't advertise it as an "exclusive."
Well its not really a Best Buy exclusive since I saw the single disc Blu-ray over at Wal-Mart.
[/QUOTE]

That explains why Best Buy's ad isn't saying that it's an excluside. Either way, it's not a regular release because it isn't carried by Amazon, Target or Deep Discount.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from Target where they had plenty of "Inception" on BD and DVD. Had a tense moment watching the cashier pry the BD out of the security case with a pen, but damage to the slipcover was minimal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's even stranger about the Inception (1-disc) being available at multiple retailers...but not others.

I wonder who's choice it was? Did the studio say "pay us extra and we'll allow you to sell this unique item?" Or, was it offered to everyone but only some retailers decided to bother?

It just makes the process of keeping track that much more confusing.

Whichever way it went down...I bet any retailer who's got the 1-disc is wondering why today...especially since the combo pack has dropped down so low in price.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by JoeBond

EDIT 2: Be careful! They are listing both the combo pack and the 1-disc BD for $17.99. Make sure you're ordering the combo pack (if that's the one you want).

[/QUOTE]
Their website lists both the combo pack and the 1-disc, separately but with exactly the same product name. The only difference is the image of the case.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by DennisBassi

Inception for sure

Shrek -- taking my life into my own hands and going against my better judgement, I just placed an order with Deep Discount for 30.36 using their 25MORE discount code.

It's been a year since my last order and the latest reviews on the former King have been depressing, but I'll give them a shot for this kind of discount (once).

I just checked the DD website, and with the coupon code the prices for Shrek: The Whole Story were $40.48 and $31.98 (which I assume were for the BD set and DVD set respectively). Was the price you obtained of $30.36 for the BD or DVD?
[/QUOTE]

DD adjusted the price yesterday to be higher after the code.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

[/QUOTE]
Their website lists both the combo pack and the 1-disc, separately but with exactly the same product name. The only difference is the image of the case.

They also have different SKU #'s.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I just got notification from DD yesterday that they had shipped the final item from my order of September 7th! At this point a price is going to have to be very compelling in order for me to order from them again. Very sad given all of the purchases I have made from DD over the years and their previously excellent customer service.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Originally Posted by MarkBirds

You are not kidding. I just bought my copy and had them remove 3 from their ridiculous security cases before I got one that was only "minimally" damaged. The cashier says there is no other way, but I could do it given the right tool, such as a plastic butter knife. I know theft is a problem, but I find it hard to believe that Target would rather sell every customer a DVD with damaged packaging. A heck of a price to pay and one that may have me purchase elsewhere if the price is nearly the same.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was at Target today too. They had Inception combo packs *and* single-disc BDs on the shelf mixed together, for the same $17.99!

Again, be careful! (The difference is clear if you look at them side-by-side.)

Didn't buy any movies, but I did pick up Lego Creationary for $24. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DennisBassi

You are not kidding. I just bought my copy and had them remove 3 from their ridiculous security cases before I got one that was only "minimally" damaged. The cashier says there is no other way, but I could do it given the right tool, such as a plastic butter knife. I know theft is a problem, but I find it hard to believe that Target would rather sell every customer a DVD with damaged packaging. A heck of a price to pay and one that may have me purchase elsewhere if the price is nearly the same.

The clerk at my Target was trying and trying to get Inception out of their plastic security case and couldn't do it. She then ran her fingers inside the cardboard sleeve in an attempt to pull it out of the case, I couldn't believe she could get her hand in there AND that she didn't rip the cardboard near the UPC opening...but she got it out that way.

I usually don't care so much for slipcovers...but this is a fairly nice lenticular.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My Target (Berkshire Mall Pittsfield, MA) had zero copies of Inception on BD. They had many copies on DVD. Asked the Clerk and he stated that they got zero copies. Said that many people had asked about the disk, but no one got one cause they didn't. He didn't know why they didn't get any. This is a Mall location. Today I happened to be out in the Pioneer Valley (eastern Western Mass) and stopped at the Ingleside Mall in Holyoke. They had about five copies of Inception on BD so I picked one up. I picked up the new Twilight BD and took it to a scanner to check the price when I noticed the back of the Inception BD had been crinkled putting it into the security case. Lucky catch, I returned it and got another one. The cashiere had a heck of a time getting it out of the case though. He also used the pry the inside of the sleeve trick. I guess the case is a little thicker than usual due to the 3D hologram design? Luckily no damage.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Holyoke Mall at Ingleside! I (mis)spent many a teenaged weekend there back during the Reagan Administration. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
BB store easily price matched the 3 disc BD of Inception (17.99) and the BD Shrek set (39.99). I picked up some stuff for me and, with RZ coupons of $65, paid $47 for Inception, Shrek, I Love You Man, Slumdog Millionaire, District 9 and Benjamin Button.

Oh, I got some Christmas presents too.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by Jason_V

BB store easily price matched the 3 disc BD of Inception (17.99) and the BD Shrek set (39.99).

Mine did it, but it wasn't easy. I went up to Eddie, who's been with the store for at least 10 years and hasn't advanced beyond cashier, and told hiim the online price. He said that may be, but the newspaper ad said $24.99. And he proceeded to pull out the ad. I had to go to the service desk to get them to do it.

Now, I appreciate Best Buy's devotion to print ads, but I really wanted to point ol' Eddie to the entirety of his store that sells electronics, most of which connect in some way to the internet. I'm pretty sure they have a few toasters which connect to home networks. It's time to stop thinking of their stores as separate from their website. They are one and the same now.

But Eddie actually suggested I go to one of their dispaly computers and order it online for in store pickup before he was willing to price match to the website.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's terrible, Chad. Seriously. Best Buy store should be able to match BestBuy.com with no problem at all without all the hoops. Both in Michigan and Washington, I've never had to do that. I walk right up to the register, tell the cashier it's a price match and they're done. The worst part is getting a manager for an override.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Chad R

BB store easily price matched the 3 disc BD of Inception (17.99) and the BD Shrek set (39.99).

Mine did it, but it wasn't easy. I went up to Eddie, who's been with the store for at least 10 years and hasn't advanced beyond cashier, and told hiim the online price. He said that may be, but the newspaper ad said $24.99. And he proceeded to pull out the ad. I had to go to the service desk to get them to do it.

Now, I appreciate Best Buy's devotion to print ads, but I really wanted to point ol' Eddie to the entirety of his store that sells electronics, most of which connect in some way to the internet. I'm pretty sure they have a few toasters which connect to home networks. It's time to stop thinking of their stores as separate from their website. They are one and the same now.

But Eddie actually suggested I go to one of their dispaly computers and order it online for in store pickup before he was willing to price match to the website.

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's not easy for BB cashiers to do website PMs on the spot. They apparently don't have direct access to the website prices from their cashier stations, so they either need to walk over to the customer service center to get approval or have someone come over to the cashier area to approve the PMs for them.

Maybe BB will someday make this process more straightforward at regular in-store checkout -- or maybe they just don't want to make it that easy at all...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks