What's new

Weekly Roundup 12/30 (and 1/2) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A messy job? Well, that's when they usually call on me. Or someone like me. Oh yes - my name is Drake. John Drake (quote from Danger Man)

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart prices in the standard Roundup: Wal-Mart sets prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart location. When it comes to Wal-Mart prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Milage May Vary".

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__Costco__SamsClb
Danger Man (1960 B&W) -S1_$69.96__$99.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Order_________________$23.78__$19.99__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$18.47
S.W.A.T. (2003) - WS SE___$20.27__$16.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$18.19__$_N/A_
Sex And The City - Ssn. 5_$32.49__$32.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$32.99__$32.86
Wiseguy - Ssn. 1, Part 2__$44.99__$46.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
American Wedding (1/2/04)_$18.89__$17.99__$16.99__$_"LP"__$18.59__$18.28
Tremors 4:Lgd Begins(1/2)_$22.93__$24.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! American Wedding and S.W.A.T. are both available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* American Wedding also comes in the normal "Rated" edition, or the "Unrated" edition called the "Party Edition". This makes for 4 different possible items on shelves, and all seem to be the same price. Be careful and get the version you definately want. Wal-Mart HAS been carrying some Unrated DVDs lately, so give them a try.

* Don't forget that American Wedding and Tremors 4: The Legend Begins both have a street date of Friday, January 2, 2004. It should NOT be on shelves on Tuesday (though I know some stores have sold it for 2 weeks already).

* Circuit City is giving away a free T-Shirt with purchase of American Wedding...in-store only, while supplies last.

* Best Buy is giving away a free "can cooler" (those stryofoam things that keeps aluminum cans cool in summer) with purchase of American Wedding...in-store only, while supplies last.

* CircuitCity.com seems to have a misprice on Sex And The City - Season 5 DVDs! Currently it's in their weekly ad for $34.99, but at their website (right this second, anyway) it's $19.99! MUCH better a price for a lousy 2-disc set. I've pre-ordered mine, and used their free shipping to boot. I don't mind cashing in, and good luck for anyone else trying to get in on this before they realize their mistake (probably on Monday morning, so hurry!).

* Best Buy has their own Sex And The City deal, and it's the usal sort: Get Season 5 along with any 1 other season (for 2 total) and save $10. Buy 3, save $20. Buy 4, save $35, and buy all 5 and save $50.

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Land Before Time, The (Anniversary Edition) $24.98 $19.98

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City DVD sale items:

$17.99 each:
Legally Blond 2
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Caribbean

$15.99:
Bad Boys 2

$12.99 each:
American Pie
American Pie 2

$8.99 each:
Formula 51
The Negotiator

$19.99 each
X2: X-Men United
Jeepers Creepers 2: SE
Freaky Friday
LXG
Seabiscuit (1 disc)
Bruce Almighty
Matrix Reloaded
Scarface: Anniversary Edition
Pulp Fiction: CE
The Medallion
Hulk: SE
Italian Job (2003) SE

$19.99 2 Packs
Old School Unrated + Road Trip Unrated
Animal House (Double Secret Probation)+ Blues Brothers CE
Fast Times at Ridgemont High + Dazed and Confused

2 for $18:
Edward Scissorhands
12 Monkeys CE
Total Recall SE
Wedding Planning
Gattaca
A Few Good Men: SE
Meet Joe Draft
Backdraft
Legends of the Fall: SE
The Whole Nine Yards
Thomas Crown Affair
The Last Starfighter: CE

$12.99
The Usual Suspects: SE
Die Another Day: SE
The Princess Bride: SE
This is Spinal Tap: SE
Barbershop
To Live and Die in LA: SE

$9.99 DVDs
Dark Blue: SE
West Side Story
Legally Blonde
Clint Eastwood: Hand 'Em High
The Black Stallion
The Birdcage

---------

Best Buy DVD sale items:

So Close $16.99

$19.99 each:
Freaky Friday
Pirates of the Caribbean
Bad Boys II
Jeepers Creeper 2
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Medallion
Belly of the Beast
Chicago
Lion King
Finding Nemo
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Wizard of Oz
Matrix Reloaded
Seven
Pulp Fiction
Scarface
Die Hard
T2 Extreme
Boogie Nights

Braveheart $18.99
Forrest Gump $17.99
Animal House $12.99
Titanic $9.99

$14.99 each:
Gladiator
The Patriot
The Matrix
Spider-Man
Office Space

Fellowship of the Ring:EE $28.99
The Two Towers:EE $28.99
Indiana Jones Trilogy $56.99
The Godfather Trilogy $65.99

---------

Target DVD sale items:

2 for $15 (available individually @$7.50):
Moulin Rouge
Romeo and Juliet (Dicaprio+Danes)
Ever After
Someone like you
Never been Kissed
Dont Say a Word
Cast Away
Men of Honor SE
One Fine Day
Waiting to Exhale
The Sweetest Thing
Rudy
Ghostbusters CS
The Wedding Planner
Panic Room Superbit

2 for $20 (available individually @$10):
xXx
Spiderman SE
Black Hawk Down (1 disc version)
Sleepless in Seattle 20th Anniversary Edition
My Best Friend's Wedding SE
Matrix
Two Weeks Notice
The Shawshank Redemption
Blazing Saddles
Kangaroo JAck
Final Destination
Dirty Dancing UE
Hot Wheels: World Race
Confidence
To Live and Die in LA SE

-------

K-Mart DVD sale items:

$15 each:
LOTR: TTT (Theatrical cut)
Matrix Reloaded
X2
Scarface
Bruce Almighty
The Hulk
Finding Nemo
T3
Harry Potter: The Chamber Of Secrets
The Lion King
2 Fast 2 Furious
Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life

2-packs $15:
Phone Booth/The Transporter
Antwone Fisher/Behind Enemy Lines
Drumline/Big Momma's House
Shallow Hal/Me, Myself & Irene
One Hour Photo/From Hell

$4.99 each:
Clear and Present Danger
Most Wanted
Nine Months
In Love And War
Eye Of The Beholder
Play It To The Bone
Delta Force 4
Wall Street

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Cool. Thanks Dave.

I took advantage of the CC thing myself and let's see if they come through for Sex and the City. Only other item for me is SWAT.

Happy New Year EVERYONE!!

Greg

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Nothing for me in the past 2 weeks. :frowning:
Thank you for all the help and info during the past year.
May ALL of us have a safe New Year's Night and a health and properous New Year.

Peace to all

Mark

Rodon

Second Unit
Thanks for the listings Dave and Patrick.
T3 again, this time from Kmart (they had both Full and widescreens) - gave my 1st one away as a gift.

Also picked up Fantasia Anthology and Life of Mammals from Overstock. Not the greatest deals I have seen but Fantasia is one of the disneys going to the vault soon.

They really have a lot of Criterions at overstock as well.

Happy new years. Stay indoors and be safe and responsible - watch all these DVDs with your friends over the holidys.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Whoa, great catch on the CC price on Sex and the City. Thanks!

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dave & Patrick! Happy 2004!

Just got my Dad his first DVD player. He's a big Tom Clancy fan so I think I'll head to K-Mart and see if I can find Clear & Present Danger for $4.99. I recently saw Hunt for Red October at Wal-Mart for $5.88, too!

Besides that, I'm tempted by the Pulp Fiction CE at CC for $19.99, but its a blind buy for me. Anyone wanna push me over the edge?!?!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Nothing this week. Even so if I didn't have a lot of dvds to watch, I would rather save money for the big purchase in two weeks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Possibly...A&E titles are often sold for a while exclusively through DDD and/or DVD Planet due to an arrangement they have with each other.

1960 was the original 30-minute Danger Man episodes that came out, 39 of them. That's this week's release (click here)

1964-66 had the follow-up 60-minute version of the show, which was better known in the USA as "Secret Agent". Definately the same character and all, just expanded to twice its size (though still in B&W). There were 47 episodes of it, which were previously released on DVD from 2001-2003 in six 2-disc sets, and then last August were collected together into this Mega Set.

To complete the history of the show, I'll point out that the final two episodes were filmed in color, but that star Patrick McGoohan left the series at that point to start work on The Prisoner. Those final two color eps were combined into a feature, but I'm told they are presented on the Mega Set the way they were originally intended to be seen, as individual episodes.

If you get (or already got from DDD) this week's "Season 1" release and also own last August's "Mega Set", you will have all the Danger Man there is to get.

I'll point out that I'm only very recently schooled on this myself, so there COULD be some errors in there. But I think I got it right.

Don*K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave on the CC price! I guess there are some advantages of working the graveyard shift!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I want to pick up American Wedding, but I seem to recall something about an extra making-of DVD called "Beneath the Crust" that would be included with it? I seem to remember something about the "Beneath the Crust" DVD included with the American Pie 1&2 set being a preview DVD for this final one.

Anyone know what's up with that?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
at cc.com it lists at 34.99 until you put it in the cart then it is 19.99.

as of 10 am monday anyway.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Ah, I wasn't aware of the exclusive agreement. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

As far as your 'Danger Man' history, you've got it right, FYI.

Jim-M

Second Unit

Just in case you didn't know, those appear to be the older non-anamorphic versions, not the newer Special Editions that came out this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks