What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-9-2010 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One thing I've learned over 30+ years of collecting board games (and more recently movies) is that you will ALWAYS find a better deal later, so just make sure you're happy with whatever price you pay for something. Just ask yourself: "is it worth the price I'm paying?" and be content with the answer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul D G

Had to go to FIVE stores before I found one with Scott Pilgrim BR in stock on Wednesday afternoon. Both Targets had a stack of Rain Check slips on the rack for it which I'd never seen done before.

Were all five stores loaded to the gills with copies of Grown Ups that nobody was interested in, like around here? The retailers definitely got behind the wrong horse this week.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Had to go to FIVE stores before I found one with Scott Pilgrim BR in stock on Wednesday afternoon. Both Targets had a stack of Rain Check slips on the rack for it which I'd never seen done before.

Were all five stores loaded to the gills with copies of Grown Ups that nobody was interested in, like around here? The retailers definitely got behind the wrong horse this week.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed they were! One even had a display of Grown Ups DVDs and Blus right as you walked in.

As a retailer that might have been hard to call. Grown Ups made $162million while SP only took in $31million. I really don't understand why it didn't do better at the box office.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That also makes me wonder what kind of monetary incentive was thrown at the retailer to push Grown Ups. Maybe a deal on something coming later in the year, maybe some help in advertising. Who knows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the only incentive that retailers needed to stock more copies of Grown Ups than Scott Pilgrim is that Grown Ups was a hit and Scott Pilgrim was not and I'd be surprised if the sales didn't reflect that. And that's not a knock against Scott Pilgrim (I thoroughly enjoyed it) but it's a movie with a small audience that is well-aware of when it's coming out and plan on buying ASAP while Grown Ups doesn't have that kind of audience or devotion.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've gotta think that the proverbial Joe Six-Pack (AKA the mass consumer) is going to choose a movie with Adam Sandler, Kevin James, and Chris Rock on the cover over one with. . .Michael Cera. Personally, I'd get whichever one drops below $10 first. (Hey, Black Friday is coming up!)

Mike, I actually got an email back from the Reward Zone! They said I'm not on the email list for special promotions, but they'll add me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While far more people saw Grown Ups in theaters, I would guess that a far higher percentage of those who saw Scott Pilgrim in theaters will go on to buy it on Blu-Ray. For one thing, I'd bet a majority of those families that plan on owning Grown Ups are still DVD only households. And as Travis hit upon, it's a less devoted audience that Scott Pilgrim. BO performance doesn't always translate into home video performance. Some movies do far better in theaters than they do on home video, while other movies (Kevin Smith's movies come to mind) do much better on home video than they ever did in theaters. Grown Ups will likely pick up as people start to do their holiday shopping, but I think it falls into the former category and Scott Pilgrim falls into the latter category.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't really know, but shouldn't you be able to sign up for that on the RZ website?

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You should know as well as anyone that when they say they're "going to" we'll believe it when we see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks