What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-9-2010 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I totally forgot about the Barnes and Noble 50% off Criterion sale. We'll be stopping there on the way home for The Darjeeling Limited, The Thin Red Line, Benjamin Button and maybe The Last Emperor. (Not that I'll have time to watch them anytime soon...)

Sheesh.......

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Mike ,I was just teasing you. You can call me a modern day Judy Hensler. Anyway, I cant wait to hear what you think of the picture quality, in January or so.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
FWIW, Ultimate Electronics is selling the BD of Scott Pilgrim for 20.95. They just opened a store in Milwaukee, though I haven't been impressed with the service, their prices have been fantastic. To price-match at Best Buy across the street and get the Reward Zone points and use the holiday coupons they just sent out.

...shouldn't have said that in front of Frezon, lest we send him into a discount-killing-rampage...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course it doesn't, Aaron.

But I've given up--long ago--on trying to figure out BB and their direct-customer marketing strategies.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Here's my little adventure from the 50% off Criterion sale last night...

Before I left work, I made sure I knew where Barnes & Noble was (being new to the area, I'm still getting used to the lay of the land). So I drug the BF with me to the mall after work-he's visiting from MI-and promptly walked into Border's. Grabbed both Darjeeling Limited and Benjamin Button and proceeded to the checkout. I read the back cover copy a few times in line, occasionally thinking it was odd there was no sale signage on the shelf by the movies. I'm next in line, my eyes wandering around the check out counter. Then a thought struck me. Was it actually Border's who had the sale or was it Barnes & Noble?

It crossed my mind since (1) there were no signs and (2) I was getting ready to fight with the cashier. I told the guy behind me to go ahead of me in line as I whipped out the new BlackBerry. Googled Criterion Sale...and found Barnes & Noble attached to the story. We went over to Best Buy, fully aware I probably wouldn't find a BN in the area. Apparently, there's one sitting right next to Best Buy (imagine that!). I got excited and walked right in. Somehow, thanks to karma, I found the only BN in the country that doesn't sell movies or music. I stood in line behind a lady asking truly inane questions about a graphic novel series she could have looked up on Amazon at home and walked out. We're going to try again tonight when we go out for dinner.

But damn...what kind of Barnes and Noble doesn't sell movies?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Jason_V

But damn...what kind of Barnes and Noble doesn't sell movies?

Apparently, quite a few of them do not *or* just do not carry much of a selection. Our own neighborhood B&N has a seriously limited selection and does not carry any BDs at all AFAIK. Fortunately, the one w/in 10min walk from my work has a decent size section and usually keeps their Criterion sub-section reasonably well stocked at least for the more recent releases of the past year. However, it looks like they might be cutting back on their Criterion sub-section now -- it's only ~1/2 the size it was during the previous sale although pretty much all of this cutback were for large chunks of Criterion DVDs, so it might still be good for BDs going forward, especially since they seem to be trying to showcase the BDs more now.

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I dunno, Man, if you're gonna do something like that, you need some serious positive karma banked. I used some of my "I haven't seen you since August" karma. (Then I bribed him with going to the Cheesecake Factory tonight for dinner. What do you have for the wife and kids?

That is disappointing to hear about the BN stores. While most of their stuff is/was overpriced, I was looking forward to the Criterion sale this year for a very specific reason. I hope the one I'm going to hit up tonight will make me a happy boy...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, if you're interested in Benjamin Button BD, the B&N site does have it on sale for ~$15 -- I think it's been around that price for some time now. If you have membership, you can get free "express" shipping -- whatever "express" means -- w/out order minimum. If not, you can try signing up for their 2-month free trial membership to get that. And in the case of BB, apparently, the B&N site is not counting it as part of the Criterion sale, so you can actually apply whatever normal coupon code for that too.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, Jason, if you do plan to hit that other local B&N tomorrow, I'd recommend checking the B&N site first to see if that store actually has any Criterion BDs at all. The site is not very accurate for checking midday inventory at each store, but you should be able to get a good idea if the store actually has enough of a selection for you to bother making the trip.

Also, there are apparently some new 25%-off in-store coupons coming that will be valid for the next few days only. One of them does not require B&N membership. There's also a 10%-off in-store coupon as well for non-members. If you're a member, well, there are loads of coupons you can use, especially for the next few days.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Marvin

Unless I'm mistaken (and when has that ever happened?), Amazon is selling the exact same Bing Crosby DVD set as listed above

but with a bonus CD to be released next week for 12.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Bing-Crosby-Television-Specials-Christmas/dp/B0046AVK4K/ref=sr_1_12?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1289155268&sr=1-12

Not any more. Looking ahead to next week's RoundUp (when that particular item was due for release) and it is now up to $17.99. Still better than the standard two disc release...but I'm sure glad I got in at the $12.99 pricepoint.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Had to go to FIVE stores before I found one with Scott Pilgrim BR in stock on Wednesday afternoon. Both Targets had a stack of Rain Check slips on the rack for it which I'd never seen done before.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Not any more. Looking ahead to next week's RoundUp (when that particular item was due for release) and it is now up to $17.99. Still better than the standard two disc release...but I'm sure glad I got in at the $12.99 pricepoint.

Me too.

On the other hand, the price of 'White Christmas' decreased from 19.99 to 15.99 after I received it.

Ya win some....ya lose some...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks