What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/4 (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Given that there's not enough freebies for everyone, how would they know whether you got one of them or not?
As someone else noted, it's on the receipt with its' own SKU number.

Speaking of "free"--the BB Nemo offer isn't as "free" as they make it out to be, or at least it wasn't in the case of my local BB. My wife went there and was told that if you only wanted the movie itself (either by personal choice or otherwise), BB would take a dollar off the $15.99 price. Take this info FWIW, but that's what she was told...and I wound up going for the case since I needed one for my truck; $1 for a Case Logic 12-disc carrying case isn't really that bad a deal if you think about it, but that's just my opinion.:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

In all likelihood, probably another case of a single Best Buy setting its own rogue policies. If I asked for such an offer in my Best Buy, I'd just get the "glassy stare." And heaven forbid you mention that other Best Buy stores are making this offer. Their likely response? Either "You're lying" or "You're wrong."

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Regarding the taking a dollar off for the movie only was most likely to price match CC.

When I price matched Freinds season 5, I was all set to show my CC ad. But they already had a chart behind the customer service desk. This was new for Best Buy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Even so, it's still not adhering to policy. CC had a freebie as well, but was still selling the disc for less. Plus, if a giveaway is truly "free," it shouldn't matter period how much you pay for the featured DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It usually originates from the !#$%&#% behind the cash register, IMO. They seem to take it personally that my trying to save a couple bucks is somehow going to affect their paycheck at the end of the week. They are also totally unwilling to believe that, having shopped there regularly, a customer might actually know their job/store policy better than they do. "The Customer is always right?" NEVER at Best Buy.
And you've got a new BestBuy opening up near you?!?!

I wonder if they have your picture posted in their break room! :D :D :D

BTW, where's it going to be? You already have one in Burlington, right?

That idea I had about BestBuy thinking of us as the enemy, rather than their best customers really rang true with me as I continue to keep going back...even though they've pissed me off with attitude and illogic more times than not (Maybe I need to see a therapist ;)). Imagine if they did things the right way? There ARE several sales of mine they've lost as I've intentionally gone elsewhere. But the lure of the big, bright yellow price tag keeps calling to me.....

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There is one cashier at my Best Buy who price matches without concern, even when promotional items and coupons are included.

Unfortunately, yesterday I fell into a particular hell, where a new cashier allowed the CC price match and the free DVD case, but the cash register disallowed the Disney coupon. I pretty much expected the coupon to be refused--so I lived with it.

Then get this...the cashier in the next lane came over and said that my cashier should not have done the price match since I got free DVD case--that the cashier could be written up for that. I was halfway expecting them to reverse the transaction--at which point I would have walked, but not before saying: "It's your choice...you can lose a $70 sale, or honor a $1 price match. You decide."

This is getting bothersome...

- Steve

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still think it's annoying that for a pricematch at BB, they require the clerk to whip out all this paperwork that seems to need to be run through their register 4 times before the measley $1-$2 price match is honored. It's becoming far too customer unfriendly there nowadays.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That was the point I made to them recently. They lost more than $180 in sales from me because they wouldn't honor a 15% off BB coupon.

The Circuit City near Best Buy has recently upgraded their DVD shelving and selection, so they're getting more of my business now (plus the Wal-Mart that's also next door to BB).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Circuit City near Best Buy has recently upgraded their DVD shelving and selection, so they're getting more of my business now (plus the Wal-Mart that's also next door to BB).
Who woulda thunk -- all the positive vibes that Wal-Mart gets in this particular forum. :D

Oh yeah. Customer service/satisfaction. Silly me.

Really, Malcolm. You may want to peak inside their break room. :D I just had this funny image of FBI-Wanted-type posters of you, me, Dave Lambert, etc.....

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Ever buy an open box item at Best Buy? They ask for your name and address to make sure that you're not a friend of the cashier writing it up. I told them it's not my job to police their store for them.

Check out this site

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, it's simple.

I can't recall any Best Buy I've ever seen that didn't have a Wal-Mart Supercenter within "competitive range".

All the comments I've ever seen about Wal-Mart not carrying widescreen DVDs are a load of bunk...I've never not found a wide version of a new blockbuster title when the full version was also there.

The whole "will you pretty-please pricematch this?" issue goes away since they are doing the research for you, marking the prices in their system at the lowest price compared to advertisements, and keeping it that way through SUNDAY, rather than through Saturday.

There are situations where you won't buy from them:
* Items that they don't stock (like Dragonslayer)
* "Hot price" stuff that won't get price-matched since the price isn't in the ad (like Anger Management a while back at Circuit City)
* A wholesale club's price (like with Taken at Costco)
* A great combo deal (like Looney Tunes/Space Jam at Costco) or a freebie offer (like the Indy bonus 5th disc at Best Buy) or even a combo/freebie (such as Dick Van Dyke S1 & S2 with a $20 giftcard at BB)
* Out-and-out mistakes like DVDEmpire and Amazon offering Forever Knight in the mid-$20's.

In just about every one of those cases, the price or deal offered by the other store is pretty much a no-brainer, so you walk in, buy it, and leave with no arguements.

I've been a much happier DVD consumer since I've realized this. When I first started the Roundup, I never dreamed that I would not be getting the vast majority of my DVDs from anyone besides Best Buy...much less Wal-Mart, of all places. But the reality is that they are the best game in town for the majority of the hot new releases.

Oh, if you're not a member of Costco, I recommend you become one if one's in the neighborhood. If anyone tends to beat Wal-Mart on a regular basis, it's Costco.

No-hassle great prices on exactly what I want...now THAT's what I want on Tuesdays.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No-hassle great prices on exactly what I want
Say what you will, but I guess that's got something to to do with how Sam Walton made all that gol-darned money!

And a :emoji_thumbsup: to Wal-Mart for getting it! And a :thumbsdown: to so many Best Buy employees who don't. They really should just wake up and figure out that customers want to be treated well or they won't be back.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm still doing pretty cool at Best Buy. Sorry to hear these horror stories.

Oh yeah, thanks again, David.

too badI'M F****N BROKE WITH SCHOOL TESTS COMING UP

:angry:

Woo, I feel better.

:D

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to toss another 2 cents out and suggest you try out Circuit City if you have one.

The last two great deals have been price/offer matches plus the cool freebies. I scored on the Lion King deal. I brought in the TRU ad and they matched the TRU deal ($5 Disney title), upheld their $14.99 loss leader price (TRU was $19.99) and the am/fm radio. The CSR at the register gave me no hassle at all...no weird look, no WTF, just an easy price and offer match. I forgot about the radio since it was the next day and she said, don't forget your radio. Sweet!

In my finding nemo PM w/Walmart ($12.84!), the CSR was a bit hesitant because there was no advertisement. I had my BB receipt that showed the PM w/Walmart and offered to get it from my car. I think a supervisor over heard our conversation and he said to the effect, "call Walmart. Get the customer what he wants." I said, no big deal, if the BB receipt is what you'll need, I'll grab it and come right back. So I went out, came back and the CSR had already called WM and ok'ed the transaction. So I got the PM plus 10% of the difference plus the mousepad. I'd highly recommend at least trying CC. It would seem that they have changed a lot since I've shopped there years ago. Good service seems to be their focus now at least for my CC.

Pat, the coupon (and coupon book) was in the free w/purchase, Coming Attractions DVD at BB.

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I got the Wal-Mart Finding Nemo DVD + 'free game' for my wife, and she was playing the 'free game' and she couldn't figure out how to continue after a certain point... well turns out this 'free game' is only a demo - not a complete game.

Very lame if you ask me. They should have put on it somewhere that it was a demo...

At least she's still excited about getting the movie. :)

derek

Second Unit
Ben that is lame if the game is just a demo! Could probably download it for free somewhere I'm sure.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The 10% sci-fi horror worked fine for me.

The cashiers at the local Best Buy refuse to do price matching at all. They tell you to go to customer service and wait at that understaffed desk for 20 or 25 minutes instead. Forget it, my time's worth more than the dollar or two I'll save. I'll just buy it online or at Target on the way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks