What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-1-2005 - Revenge of the Sith Edition (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I saw Two for the Road for $9.99 at Target last night.

Patrick.C: Quite a deal on the RotS w/ bonus disc! :emoji_thumbsup: I "settled" for the RotS w/o bonus disc at my local Wal-Mart last night. I'm okay with that, though. As I explained in the RotS review thread...I never have been any good at deciphering what R2-D2 is saying anyway. ;) So, watching him and C3PO host segments on Luke & Anakin Skywalker don't necessarily appeal to me. :D

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Does anyone know if Best Buy's Sunday circular 2 for $20 is limited to titles shown? Star Trek SE's of Generations and Insurrection are shown, but not First Contact; I already have Generations.

Tempted to break my bank account to pick up Sex and the City; the show is funny enough on TBS, but I miss them unedited.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

In Bowie, that was the price last night. I decided to pass on it there and might go to Best Buy today to get it plus the lithograph (and Office Space and War of the Worlds ....)

Of course, if more people report in like Patrick C., maybe I'll first drop in at WalMart again.

Neil

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neil: Excellent point. Please, if anyone visits a Wal-Mart today...could you report back if you either did OR did not get the deal that Patrick.C got last night at his local Wal-Mart?!

Peter: Sorry, but BB.com is also only listing Generations and Insurrection in the 2/$20 deal. And, if you search for Insurrection at bb.com...that title's page reflects the 2/$20. But, when you search First Contact, no allusion to the 2/$20 deal at all. Maybe next time.

Kevin Tx

Grip
Has anyone been able to find the Mexico Trilogy anywhere?
Only thing here in Austin is the double set.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Someone in a neighboring thread just reported getting RotS for $9.xx at their local Wal-Mart.

Here's a blast-from-the-past! From the September, 2004 SE of the RoundUp the week the Star Wars Trilogy was released. I'm listing this again as a reminder of Wal-Mart pricing and how it varies from store to store and region to region.

[c]Star Wars Trilogy prices at Wal-Mart:
(on the Week of Release 9/2004)[/c]

$35.88 Antioch, TN (near Nashville)

$35.95 Woodburn, OR
$36.99 Westminster, CA (today only/basically a Fry's PM)
$38.84 Spokane, WA
$38.87 Covina, CA
$39.44 Glenmont, NY
$39.62 Exton, PA
$39.95 Central FL
$39.97 Valrico, FL
$39.98 Antioch, CA
$39.98 Richland, WA
$40.00 Raynham, MA
$41.65 Mohegan Lake, NY
$41.78 Seneca, SC
$41.88 West Lafayette, IN
$42.00 Shelton, CT
$42.08 Bowie, MD
$42.86 Richmond, VA
$42.87 So. Central, FL
$42.87 Miami, FL
$42.87 Oklahoma City, OK
$42.87 Duluth, GA
$42.87 Burke, VA
$42.87 Myrtle Beach, SC
$42.88 Rochester, MN
$42.88 Easton, PA
$42.95 Nashville, TN
$42.96 Highland, UT
$42.99 Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$44.87 Bellingham, WA
$44.87 Lehigh Acres, FL
$44.87 Hilltown, PA
$44.99 Houston TX
$47.82 Bartow, FL
$47.82 Berlin, VT
$47.87 Fort Scott, KS
$47.95 Oxford, OH

I repeat...these are year old prices on the OT. I'm just posting them again to show how Wal-Mart prices are all over the board. On this one item there was a $12+ difference at some stores!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Strolled into Best Buy at 7:30PM last night and bought Two for the Road for 9.99 stickered price (bestbuy.com is selling for 12.99!) and SWIII with the litho. There were lithos everywhere.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was at the Wal-Mart here in Queensbury, NY today and the Ep IIIs with bonus disc had a $19.96 sign on the shelf ($14.96 for the regular). I scanned it on the price scanner just to check to check what it was ringing up, and it was $19.99. Looks like Patrick C's W-M may be the exception rather than the rule with lowering the price on the bonus disc.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well I blew it myself (right there with ya Dave Scarpa!!)

Not only did I get the previously mentioned titles (SW, WoW(original), and Aliens of the Deep) but when I went to get pullups (thank god the boy is almost 100% potty trained :emoji_thumbsup: ) but I made the mistake of trolling the DVD aisles of this WM (BIG MISTAKE)and came home with

Ultimate Fighter S1 - $23 (couldn't pass on it at this price)
American Choppers S3 - $13.50
Monster Garage S3 - $13.50
Jake the Snake Roberts - $18
The Saint (from the Dump Bin)
Cocoon: The Return (from the Dump Bin)
Office Space SE - $13.50

I had a couple of Wrestlemania sets in my hand but fortunately put them back.

Of course then I got home and a HUGE order I had placed with wherehouse.com for a bunch of used items was there -- I had totally forgotten about it since it had been so long. Ended up with A-Team S1 & S2, Knight Rider S1 & S2, Airwolf S1, West Wing S3, 8 Pride Fighting Championship DVDs, 3 Scooby Doo DVDs, Scooby Doo Movie set, Batman: The Animated Series Volume 1, Johnny Quest, Karate Kid Collection, Shield S3, Ice Princess.

Overall a HUGELY expensive day for me. My desk is overflowing with DVDs now as I unpack them and covert to smaller cases where possible. Fortunately next week only has Jumanji and Duck Tales in it for me (if I can even afford them now, LOL!). But then it starts all over again on the 15th .... oh brother.

Thanks again for the roundup folks!!

Greg

Greg S

Supporting Actor

Yup 2 Wal-Marts in this area have it. As I recall the price was about $20 ($19.86 I think is what it said).

As of today both WMs near me are still $19.86 for SWEPIII with the bonus disc.

Greg

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Ok for everyone wondering about the bonus disc and Star Wars, the disc is a Wal-Mart exclusive as such stores are not supposed to match the price of the movie and the bonus disc since it is not available at other stores, but stores should price match the regular disc without the bonus disc. This is Wal-Mart policy from the home office, and according to what I've been told they have the ability to block the bonus disc version from being sold below the $19.96. Also in case anyone hasn't figured it out by now, this is Wal-Mart's way of actually making money on a new release DVD as they sell the DVD way below cost at $14.XX. They have been doing this with alot of there new DVD's to try to make a profit were otherwise they would be making a loss. This is also being done with music CD's as well. Smart on their part, especially since the bonus discs probably cost them nothing.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Went to Frys (passing Best Buy) because of their guaranteed lowest price ad in the paper for ROTS. It was $14.99. I was expecting at least $1 less since everyone else (BB, CC) was selling it for that price and giving some bonus with it, so I walked out. I muttered that it was not the lowest price to a guy in a white shirt and he just said other stores had it at a higher price. Maybe so, but not their main competitiors down the street.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Legally, if the phrase "guaranteed lowest price" was used, they should be selling it for $14.98. If the phrase was something like "no one sells for less" the $14.99 would be OK, since no one is selling it for less than $14.99. Wal-Mart had to change their slogan from "Lowest Price...Always" to "Low Prices...Always". The first slogan implies that EVERYTHING that they sell is at a lower price than the competition, which we all know is not true.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
semantics.
lowest price can be the same as another store.
if the lowest price is 14.99 and that is the lowest price anywere, it's still the lowest price.

they dont say lower then anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks