What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-07-2006 (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Anyone seen the Cars stuff from Best Buy yet (3d-poster, 4 cars)? I'm trying to decide wether or not to head to BB here in a bit.

Edit: I'm such a sucker.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I went to Best Buy and got the gift set. The poster is 11x14 and comes in it's own sleeve. The gift set is a special box with handle on top :D with the 4 cars (Lightning, Doc, Fillmore & Mater) packaged on the right hand side.

I guess I liked this movie more than I thought I did. They're getting lots of my money. :eek:

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Yes - I picked up my copy of Cars at Best Buy earlier today. The 3d lenticular isn't keepcase-size like many have thought - its actually the same size as the lithos BB has done in the past, like the Darth Vader they did for the Sith release. I would call it a mini-poster. And its pretty neat - my son will love it.

BTW - I have to share this - I paid a grand total of $1.05 for my copy of Cars at BB today. Here was how it worked (based on picking up Little Mermaid a month ago at $9.99 + $5.00 Cars preorder):

$14.99 - The Cars DVD
-$ 5.00 - The preorder price from the LM purchase that saved $5 on LM
-$ 1.00 - Circuit City price match
-$ 5.00 - Reward Cert
-$ 3.00 - McDonalds Monopoly Bucks

That made a grand total of 99 cents ($1.05 with tax). It was fun just watching the cashier work through it all. So I picked up LM and Cars for a total of $15.98 ($7.99 each).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My BB didnt get any Ploice Squad in. Had to do the Bond boxes. Sure its $100, but at $10 a movie its a great deal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Got the Cars Deluxe at Target this morning.

Had the Carson set in my hand at my local BJs Wholesale Club this morning...but couldn't see pulling the trigger on $24.99 for mostly re-hashed footage.

BJs had the R&H musicals for $17.99 apiece (but NO Flower Drum Song! :angry: ). I think the box set was $62.99.

I also scored the Columbia Classics Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for $8.99 at BJs! :emoji_thumbsup:

BJs did NOT have the 2-pack of It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas (in ThinPaks). I DID see it at Target for $19.99. BJs DID have the IAWL new release for $12.99. Almost pulled the trigger on that...but the prospect of scoring White Christmas for just a few bucks more makes the double-dip more palatable. ;)

Cars was $15.99 at BJs.

Off to find the Flower Drum Song. Maybe to Best Buy to use use some BB Bucks!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Brett (or anyone else who got the BB set),

What are the toy cars like? How big? Are they appropriate for children under the age of 3? (The package should probably say something about that.)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I stopped by the local Circuit City at lunchtime to pick up the two James Bond ultimate DVD sets. I was considering getting it as Best Buy but I figured I'd rather save $5 than get the bonus DVD. I noticed that the vol. 2 I had was a bit beat up looking so I looked through a few more and found one that looked like it was in great shape and headed for the register.

As I was handing over the vol. 2 set to the cashier, I noticed a big Best Buy logo on the package (not sure how I missed it before then) so I took a closer look. It had the Best Buy bonus Scene It DVD insde! It also had a Best Buy price sticker on it along with a Best Buy UPC sticker over the regualar UPC becuase it wouldn't ring up at first. The cashier pulled the UPC sticker off and the UPC underneath scanned just fine.

I'm wondering how in the heck the Best Buy version with a bonus disc ended up at Circuit City. The cashier figured someone had exchanged it but I assume they wouldn't have taken it back at Circuit City with the Best Buy price tag and UPC sticker.

Anyway... no big deal I guess. I just thought it was weird and worth sharing with everyone.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've seen discs with Best Buy price tags at Walmart. Not on release date, though! (I just figured they were mistaken returns -- Walmart can be very generous with its return policy.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I DID get to Best Buy tonight to pick up Flower Drum Song. I was pleasantly surprised to see it marked (their regular price) at $19.99...down from the $24.99 I reported in the RoundUp. Interestingly, Carousel and South Pacific and The King and I were all marked at $24.99!

Also scored The Sword in the Stone at the Disney sale for just $6.99. That display was absolutely wrecked and wiped out! I was lucky to find TSitS in the family section.

I also forgot to note in the RoundUp that BB's RewardZone program is giving double points on DVD (and, I think, CD) sales through December 24.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Costco was a wash-out for me today. No Marlon Brando Boxes, no MASH S.11(they only had the whole series box) and the Bond boxes were $55.99 each. So I headed over to Circuit City where they were quite happy to take my money.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Chad, I tried on the shirt and its definately larger than some other large shirts I have. Its actually pretty similar to my XL shirts if that helps.

James@R

Second Unit

Oh, I've triggered the alarm at Walmart several times while exchanging stuff. (Why no, that's not suspicious at all!) Apparently, the security strips from my local CC will set it off every time.

I've also slipped up occasionally and forgotten to remove a sticker- most famously a couple of "Not For Resale" ones!

But it is odd that someone would be returning a BB set this early.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

They're roughly 1:64 - same (or very close) to an average Matchbox/Hot Wheels car. They're actually the same diecast cars that were released with the movie (made by Mattel) and there has been a run on them ever since. They disappear as soon as they hit the shelf. These cars typically sell for between $3 and $5 each, so the DVD combo set isn't a bad deal. I would have bought it myself, but my son already has the four that were included.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
For anyone else wondering: I checked the set at Best Buy. The cars are slightly larger than Matchbox cars, so probably officially they're 1:64 scale. For ages 3 and up (as stated on the package). They are very nice quality, though.

I ended up getting the 2-disc set at Target with the flashing pin.

And no, I didn't read the last post before duplicating it.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you've got it figured out but I'll add that I believe they are 1:55 scale. I looked around at ebay the other day and unless you buy a large group of them they're going to run you about $8-10/car. So it looked like a pretty good way to get some of the major characters. Of course they're not in their original packaging.

I also heard something about 2 new ones just released at Target promoting the DVD. Need to check on that. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't see them at Target last night, but I only looked at the Cars DVD display near the front of the store (I think this is the first time I've seen a whole endcap dedicated to one title at Target). They might be in the toy section or the DVD section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks