What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-9-2012 (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And Costco is our winner! 25.99 for Dial M - no Strangers, so it must be a 3D thing. When I factor in Tax and waiting 2 days, I'd rather pay the dollar or so more at Costco.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool, thanks for the info about Costco. Did they have Prometheus or ET? Too bad about Strangers. I wanted to see Grace Kelly more then Farley Granger or Robert Walker. I'm sure Fry's might have Strangers.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm sure Frys would have Strangers.
Prometheus 3D was $25, same as Best Buy.
Didn't spot ET, but I wasn't looking for it either.

daddymention

Agent
Real Name
David
Best Buy had Jeff Lynne's Long Wave....for $9.99. They only had 2 copies at the location I went to and it was just filed under "L", not on their new release endcap.
...and Fry's had Strangers on a Train and Dead Ringer for $14.99 each. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Little Shop of Horrors was $28.99 each.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good hunting tonight. The Costco near my work had all three, Prometheus for $24.99, Dial M for Murder for $25.99 and ET for $18.99. Well worth it to avoid shipping fees and waiting. Now I'll have try Fry's for Strangers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't get to a Target until almost 6pm last night.

They only had two of the steelbook versions left (and only a couple non-steelbook copies). After I checked to be sure it had the title of the film printed on the spine, I strode to the cash register and purchased it for $17.09 (Target Red Card discount). Not bad.

It doesn't sound like people are having any problems picking up the steelbook or the Best Buy digibook. Good to hear (or not hear).

Oh. And Target had ET on its "New for Kids" endcap.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Best Buy digibook vs. the Target steelbook. Not that there's any way to know till it's too late to get one or the other. I should decide today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Best Buy digibook vs. the Target steelbook.  Not that there's any way to know till it's too late to get one or the other.  I should decide today.
I saw the Best Buy digibook but got the regular one instead. The regular one was $17.99 and since I don't really care about the digibook, I figured it was better to let someone who might really want it have a chance to get it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My reasoning was much more cost-conscious. With upgrade and save, I could get the title for $13 instead of $20. The book was not worth seven dollars to me.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mike, interesting you should mention the title on the spine. I always thought Universal blew two beautiful opportunities in the laserdisc era, on the spines for their otherwise wonderful Signature Collection box sets of both JAWS and E.T. Those boxes were something like an inch and a half deep, but what did we see on our shelves? The title of the former, in a microscopic ordinary font, which might as well not have been there at all. And on the latter? Nothing. A double chance for decent "spine art" tossed right out the window.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/324264/weekly-roundup-10-9-2012/30#post_3986808
Mike, interesting you should mention the title on the spine. I always thought Universal blew two beautiful opportunities in the laserdisc era, on the spines for their otherwise wonderful Signature Collection box sets of both JAWS and E.T. Those boxes were something like an inch and a half deep, but what did we see on our shelves? The title of the former, in a microscopic ordinary font, which might as well not have been there at all. And on the latter? Nothing. A double chance for decent "spine art" tossed right out the window.

Earlier in the thread I noted that I am all too glad to replace my DVD of ET because of the lack of the title on the spine of that DVD packaging. I'm not really anal about packaging (hell, I downsized most of my standard DVD cases to thin-paks. But that lack of "ET" on the spine of the special DVD release always bugged me for some reason.

I never knew that the laserdisc of ET also had a blank spine. Coincidence? It would seem an odd one, if so.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All righty.

I had a LOT of catching up to do (to our esteemed review staff).

There are now links in the OP to:

--Matt's review of Eclipse Series 36

--Matt's review of the 3-D Blu release of Prometheus.

--Neil's review of Dial M for Murder

--Cameron's review of Little Shop of Horrors

--and, Matt's review of The Raven.

Thanks, fellas! You've been busy this week!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Chas in CT said:
Mike, interesting you should mention the title on the spine.  I always thought Universal blew two beautiful opportunities in the laserdisc era, on the spines for their otherwise wonderful Signature Collection box sets of both JAWS and E.T.  Those boxes were something like an inch and a half deep, but what did we see on our shelves?  The title of the former, in a microscopic ordinary font, which might as well not have been there at all.  And on the latter?  Nothing.  A double chance for decent "spine art" tossed right out the window.
I actually liked the "brushed metal" look of those Uni LD boxes, made them feel more special and you could spot them in your collection.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I actually liked the "brushed metal" look of those Uni LD boxes, made them feel more special and you could spot them in your collection.
Real easy to spot when they're all on the same shelf together -- I think there were 35 of them total counting the double releases. The ET box does stick out just a little since it's black. I actually still have a sealed copy of the ET boxset
sitting in the middle of the collection. I think I bought a spare somewhere on closeout for about what the new Digibook cost.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I used a $5 Reward Zone coupon and got the E.T. digibook for $20. Happy to report it bears a nice logo-type title on the spine.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I can't recall whether I've done this, and if someone has already mentioned it please forgive:

Does BB allow you to "stack" coupons -- i.e., a Reward Zone coupon and a DVD trade-up -- on one Blu-ray purchase?

Or maybe it's one of those things that depends on who's ringing up the sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks