What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/29 (and 11/1 for our friendly neighborhood, well..you know!) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And BTW--I probably missed it somewhere in this thread, but which B&M store is offering the Spidey box set at the lowest price?
It appears many B&M's will have few copies, if any, of the box set. I'd say buy it if you even see it, if that's the version you really want. Prices seem to be around $40, but that's sure to go higher on Ebay in the near future if they're truly in such short supply.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Just scored the Spidey box set at Wal-mart for $37.67. When I asked for it they told me they didn't have anything like that. They went and checked the back room and gave me the same story. I explained that a couple of days ago I talked to the guy that personally unloaded them, so I knew they had some. Then they told me to come back in the morning. I said no. So finally, one lady went questing to find a manager to open the security room. About 10 minutes later, she came back with a box set for me. They also had free comics and free (small) posters.

I was surprised to see about 15 people waiting there with me 5 minutes before midnight waiting for the guys to bring the pallets out.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Best Buy in Plano had 12:01am Spiderman sale. I was up and awake, and I figured I would be the only person there.

Shock of shocks, there was a radio station remote and almost 200 people in line to get in the store. They were giving out posters, and I got a couple.

Only a few people were allowed in the store at a time, and the front of the store had been sectioned off with shopping carts to prevent us from going down the aisles. The Spidey display and the new-release display were up front, as was a table with the box sets, videogames, and other related merchandise.

I picked up the box for $39.99...but it only cost $20 thanks to a gift certificate. I did not notice the price on the DVD-only release.

- Steve

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I swung by Wal-Mart about an hour ago and got Spidey.
It rung up at $14.77, which is 33¢ more than I was told it would. Ah, well...I figure they got the price confused with Return of the Green Goblin. Still a great price.
When I asked for "the free comic book", I was told that it was only "inside the big box set, which is $37, but here is a free poster for you". I was handed a clear plastic bag marked "Wal*Mart Midnight Madness Event. November 1st, 2002 Midnight - 2AM." There is a Spider-Man logo beneath that, then reminders to pre-order MIB2 and Stuart Little 2 at WALMART.COM. Inside was a rolled-up 11x17 poster of Spidey in the perched-on-a-rooftop-corner-looking-to-his-left pose. That will go on my son's wall.
Note that I got this after the "madness" period had ended, by approximately 1½ hours or so! Well, I'm sure if they have extras they'll hand them out until they're gone.
After paying, she asked me "Did you get the Widescreen version?".
"Yes, I only buy widescreen." (too early in the AM to elaborate; I was barely awake)
"What about the black bars?"
"I just ignore them."
"Why?"
"Because I like to enjoy seeing it the way it was in the theater. Otherwise, no sale."
"All right. Thanks, and enjoy your movie!"
A satisfying exchange. It didn't feel like she was promoting one or the other...just "surveying" as it were. I hope she doesn't forget my feedback! :)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I also purchased Spider-Man for $14.77 at Walmart in San Diego at 12:10AM. They had a big stand with Fullscreen on the left & Widescreen on the right.

I also converted the cashier into a widescreen copy. He said he only purchased full screen when given the choice. I took out a dollar bill & said the dollar bill was widescreen. Then I folded in the sides & said that it was full screen. I asked him how much of the movie was missing & he said 2 thirds. I said that is how much of the movie he was missing in full screen. He said that was the first time that anyone had explained it to him & he said he was taking home the widescreen version for the 1st time when he got off work.

It made me feel like I accomplished something.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I haven't seen the CompUSA ad but saw on another board this morning that in the L.A. area they're selling it for 17.99. Lowest price period? What a joke. Maybe CompUSA was talking about the deal where you get it free with purchase of a DVD player in the ad, but it's still just silly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i just got back from compusa they sell it for 14,99. at least at the delaware store on concorde road.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
When I asked for "the free comic book", I was told that it was only "inside the big box set, which is $37, but here is a free poster for you".
There is a separate Spidey comic book and it actually says Wal-mart exclusive on it. My Wal-mart had a box of them sitting out. I was handed one but other people helped themselves.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Huh, Andrea. My thinking is that the store employees probably all "helped themselves". :D
Oh, well...not worried about it. My son has enough comic books to read.
I just got off the phone with CompUSA. I was first told that the price is $21.99; I replied "uh, your ad says 'lowest price...period'?"
After then being put on hold for 5 minutes, he came back on and said that the price is $19.77 in the system, but I can bring in the ad of any competitor and they'll match it. He then named several qualifying competitors: Best Buy, Target, Circuit City.
He noticably failed to mention both K-Mart and Wal-Mart, so I asked about them. He replied that they didn't qualify, "because they are wholesalers".
I responded that they aren't; he's thinking of Sam's Club and Costco. He insisted that they didn't qualify. I - as politely as possible - stated that the "lowest price period" thing was a joke, and that I was "off to buy it for $14.77 at Wal-Mart". He said "Yes, sir" and we hung up. :rolleyes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which is the real reason I read these weekly threads: Is it for the bargain info, or the interchanges related by the bargain hunters with the store employees. :D Keep them rolling in!

James_S

Second Unit
Picked-up Spiderman Box set at Wal-Mart for $37.67 They had about 25 box sets on display.
Went there and Target also to get The Santa Clause SE Full Screen Only :angry:. Then I stopped by the Fred Meyer next to my house the had an advertised sign below The Santa Clause SE for $9.99, and the had widescreen copies, went up to the register to ring up in rang up at $19.99 and told them their sign said $9.99 no problem got it for $9.99, bought a couple of course.
Then on my wait out I sign some Christmas DVD display and guess what, there was the The Santa Claus (1985 w/Burgess Meredith, Dudley Moore, John Lithgow) that had the same advertised $9.99 price and code. Oh Well.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Preowned DVDs and GAMES are 20% off at EBGAMES.COM today... use code 'SAVE20'
One notable title... 'Hellraiser: Limited Edition' is $9.99 before the rebate (been OOP for a while... contains Hellraisers 1 and 2 in one of those nice Anchor Bay tins). I got that and 'Muppets for Space' for ~$20 shipped.
Shipping is a little steep though... $5 flat rate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stopped at Wal-Mart this AM to see if they had any gift sets. Didn't see any. But couldn't believe they already had Christmas music piped over the PA system. This is getting outta control. It's November fu*king first! :angry:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
What did you expect? It's Wal*Mart!
It was a telekinetic message to their customers that it is now OK to buy Christmas gifts... a pre-programmed message to the "sheep" if you will ;)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Hey Steve I was at the same store this morning and I too was really surprised to see as many people there as I did. I actually only expected about 50-100. I guess I under estimated the Spidey fans.

Let me say that the box set is very cool. I a little less cool than the ET set but also much cheaper. A friend of mine went to BB after work to get a Spidey box set, but he said they were all out. I just got done talking to him and he is on his way to a third store now.

Chris S.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
No problem at my local K-Mart getting the widescreen Spider-Man for $14.87. They had plenty of them and almost no one was in the store compared to the Best Buy up the road. Never thought I'd see the day that K-Mart would become my first choice for new DVDs, but lately that's been the case. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks