What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/28 (What's Up, Doc?) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I also scored the LTGC/SJ-2DSE combo along with a pair of Spongebob S1's, and a Sopranos S4 all at Costco. Returned LT and SJ to Walmart, where I had bought them this morning along with MwC.

Grabbed Coupling from BB along with a gift purchase of Ed Sullivan's Beatles ($16.99 at both Costco and BB, but BB has the exclusive postcards in the shrinkwrap).

Also got the Hulk coming (I assume) for $3 from Kraft, and scored Dark Shadows 8 for $9 less than I had planned to. A really great savings week! :eek: :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Chris -

My new local Best Buy did not have the Director's Series discs. Circuit City had one copy of the Spike Jonze disc, but it was in a weird place, under S! Did not look for nor see the other discs.

...and I STILL can't find Naqoyqatsi anywhere!

Picked up Loony Tunes Golden at Sams and was pleased to find a book compiling the stories by Jean Shepherd which make up A Christmas Story for $8 and change. :)

-paul

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I felt like I was gonna be busted as I walked out of Costco getting $20 off when I bought the $17 SJ.

Can anybody out there in Marketing excplain why they'd do this, pay you to take the 2nd disk?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I can figure out is that they think tons of people are going to buy Space Jam, and they hope $20 off will motivate those people to buy Looney Tunes. Or more likely, someone just can't add. :)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Costco deal. I'll probably watch Space Jam and sell it.
Reading this thread, I find something particularly interesting. It does strike me funny the lengths that people will go to, to save (literally) a couple of bucks. The time spent driving to different stores to get the best price is often negated by the wasted time (For instance, I'd put the value on my free time at about $10/hour), wasted gas, and wasted mileage on your vehicle (given that most cars run in the 50c/mile range to operate, considering payments and insurance).

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
My Best Buy had 5 or more copies of each of the Directors Series. I picked up the Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry sets. The Jonze disc is really good so far, the "documentary" on the Torrence Dance group is really, really funny.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree with Todd that as of late I've been valuing my time above saving a buck. I almost would rather pay a buck or two more and have it delivered to me via mail than have to run to 2 or 3 different stores on release date. I went to Target last night because I thought I saw the Hulk being $15.99 there, it ended up being $16.99, I just could rationalize driving another 10 miles to get to best buy to save a dollar. So I bought it there.

And actually I got a 6 pak of popcorn and unfortunately for my waist a package of Chips Ahoy Cremes for free !

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It does strike me funny the lengths that people will go to
I have to believe most people read the thread first and then go make their purchases. Then you have the group that'll be going back to a store anyway, so they can return it then. (I go to Costco every Tues just for the $3.00 pizza lunch and to browse the DVDs.) Then, some people are probably leaving out some of their plans (e.g. "I'm going to return that overpriced disk ... while I'm picking up some hemorrhoid cream. ":b Then finally you get to the few who just don't want to feel like they got taken by Big Business.

This is way off the HTF topic, but I remember reading somewhere about a study done where people will illogically "give away" money if they feel they are being taken advatage of. The study has some important scientific theories behind it - but the general idea went like this:
If you and a stanger found a sum of money and you could (a)split it 20%/80% with you getting the 20%, or (b) nobody gets anything. A significant number of people would choose (b). Which of couse makes no sense since 20% is better than nothing. All that goes back to say that some people would rather give up their expensive free time than "give" a corporation a couple of their dollars.

Okay, that was way too long. Back to work.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I thought Space Jam was awful, so for those who feel the same it does require a payoff to take it! I'm sure it's the other way around for some. BTW I sold mine on eBay within a couple hours of listing it. I put a good price on it though, seeing I got it for more than free in the first place.

And I've been wondering about those members who live in states with sales tax. Are DVDs not taxed or do you just not factor that in to your purchase price? Just wondering because good ol' Oregon continues to resist such a revenue scheme.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Anybody feel like their stealing from Costco :D , LOL!!!

I mean between the Looney Tunes deal and the Spongebob deal its like I am being paid to shop at Costco, instead the me paying to be a member there. Hey their loss is my gain.

THANKS COSTCO AND ALL ROUNDUP MEMBERS!!!!

Greg

FYI Costco has a $5 off X2 coupon on several DVDs as well (most of which were $13.99) I believe the titles were Just Married, Daredevil, Phone Booth, and a few others but my brain has stopped working right now. You gotta figure that X2 will most likely be $17.99 when they get it so with the coupon you can purchase X2 for about $12.99 (as long as you want/need the other DVD you bought to get the coupon).

Costco also had the Collector's Edition of Star Trek V: Final Frontier for $15.99. This is the best price I have seen on this so I picked it up since I missed it on release week (good thing now, huh).

Greg

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just putting a note in here. Those looking for Millenium Actress, Suncoast and Circuit City both have it for $19.99.

If you don't know what it is, it is a film directed by the director of Perfect Blue, and from every report, it is quite excelent.

Jason

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
.. members who live in states with sales tax. Are DVDs not taxed ..
I just checked, in PA DVDs are taxed. (And yes, I leave that portion out of my posts.) But regarding the rebate, I was not taxed on the $20, just the price after the rebate.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Funny story at Costco today the lady in front of me bought just Looney Tunes and I caught up with her in the parking lot and explained the deal to her and showed her my receipt. She promptly hauled butt back in the store and got in on the deal as well. As she thanked me she told me that at least 2 of her friends had already bought the set at BB or CC or something and paid $45.99 for it and that she was already excited to be paying $6 less than they had but now she was going to have to go home to rub it in. I just laughed.

Greg

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Went to Target today, no LTGC. Stock person told me that they only got 7 copies all sold yesterday:angry: .Went to Best Buy next door and they had 3 priced at $54.99. No sale. I think I'll try Walmart.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Well my Sam's carried LT:GC for a more than expected $45 (w/tax). Still, they remain pure gold among cartoon shorts. They are lightyears more entertaining than my Walt Disney Treasures.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I went to my local Target this morning in Salem, NH, and they told me that the $15 coupon could, in fact, be used with Space Jam! I purchased the Looney Tunes Gold Collection for $45.99 and Space jam for $16.99, and they removed the $15 coupon.
How is this possible since the coupon is on the Stranger Than Fiction and Reality Check DVD's, not on Space Jam or LTGC. The coupon specifically says that it's $15 of if you buy LTGC and one of those two. Perhaps you got lucky. If in fact all Target's are doing thos does anyone think I can do anything about it. Perhaps I should try repurchasing both with the coupon and then returning them later with my other receipts.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Costco in Marina Del Rey didn't have any Looney Tunes OR SpongeBob, FYI and didn't have any in their computer. I'm going to check the one out in Hawthorne tomorrow; otherwise, it's fingers-crossed-and-Christmas-Present time for that set.

Brian O

Second Unit
Got my Looney Tunes Gold Collection with the Space Jam SE at Costco in Palm Desert last night. No where did it state the $20 instant rebate, but sure enough it came off at the register.

Also, I wanted to state that in both of those DVD packages there was a movie coupon for a child's ticket up to $6.50 to the new Looney Tunes movie, so another $13 value on top of the already great deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks