What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-27-2009 (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm is a bit of a quandary regarding "The Prisoner." The Blu-ray set is only 5 bucks more than the DVD, but I am wondering if I still shouldn't just get the DVD instead. This way, I'd be able to watch it in more than just one room of the house. Has anyone seen the actual Blu-ray yet? Is it a lot better in quality compared to the DVD?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ric, I put my BD review up on the product page (it's also in my sig). I can't vouch for any version of the DVD, but the BD is absolutely wonde

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason! I will take a look right now! I haven't seen the show

Hiya, Mike! Been real busy with a new-ish endeavor. Take a look if you get a chance! Also been on a vacation or two and for the past week have been home after a "procedure" Which allowed me time to post here! Most weeks I have been able to take a quick peak, though! Keep on keeping on!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just a heads up, but BB seems to be running a nice BD sale online right now -- and you *might* be able to do local pickup. Some upcoming releases like North by Northwest and the latest Star Trek movie are included -- and in the case of the latter, you can even get extra $10 off if purchased w/ another Trek film on BD.

Think I'm gonna pick up the latest Trek BD along w/ First Contact among a handful others although Amazon may end up matching most of the prices in the next day or two (but probably not the extra $10 off for the Trek offer).

_Man_

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rick and Jason! And Jason... great job on the review!! Looking forward to the set and I'll probably go Blu. And to quote myself... "I haven't seen the show"... I must've gotten distracted! What I meant to say is I haven't seen the show in like 20 years!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ric Easton

Hiya, Mike! Been real busy with a new-ish endeavor. Take a look if you get a chance! Also been on a vacation or two and for the past week have been home after a "procedure" Which allowed me time to post here! Most weeks I have been able to take a quick peak, though! Keep on keeping on!
Day-um, Ric! Those ARE awesome pix! Congrats! Hope this takes off for you! Those are some pretty reasonable prices, too!

And I hope your "procedure's" not going to keep you down and that all's well!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Ric Easton Also noticed there's at least one promising looking photo shown in thumbnail form in your Info section that's missing from the galleries (for a larger view), ie. the one in a misty forest filled w/ tall trees (redwood/sequoia/???).

One suggestion. You might want to help your site visitors get the best possible web presentation (especially since you're looking to sell prints) by at least providing minimal/basic display calibration features like grayscale step bars/charts that are typically provided at other quality sites, eg. a bit of basic calibration of white/black levels and contrast/gamma can go a long way even if colors will still be off for most folks. Otherwise, you might be selling short on your images.

Oh, another thing. If you're serious about selling enlarged prints, you might want to consider lugging around a portfolio of actual prints w/ you on a regular basis and see if you don't bump into interested potential customers often enough -- you're probably far more likely to sell them at serious (ie. better) prices in person that way near as I can tell.

Have a great one, and best wishes on your new endeavor (and hope you get all well real soon from that "procedure", etc)!

_Man_

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! Way to hi-jack this thread, huh?

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Also noticed there's at least one promising looking photo shown in thumbnail form in your Info section that's missing from the galleries (for a larger view), ie. the one in a misty forest filled w/ tall trees (redwood/sequoia/???).
Actually that pic was taken in a rain forest outside of Juneau, Alaska, and yes, I still have to get that section among others up. Nice idea on the basic calibration features but, I'm wondering if that may be too technical for most folks? Most of the time I do carry around a portfolio with me and today I am even dropping off a plaque mounted print I sold... And yes, it's the Dawn at the Track shot! Maybe if and when I get a little more well known, I can raise my prices a little and actually make some money at this. The trick is getting to the folks that may want to buy. Not too many people around my area need shots of Monument Valley and folks in the Southwest probably don't care much for Saratoga! Still, its a fun diversion and who knows, it may eventually lead to something.

If any of you are on Facebook and would like to become "Fans" it sure would help to possibly spread the word!. The Fanpage is located here! I'm also on the FB

Today's my first day back at work after the "procedure" Been out for more than a week. Wish me luck!

Thanks again and now back to your regularly scheduled Round-up... Hope I didn't break any rules here.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ric - I love taking a good photo, but your work is just wonderful! - particularly your Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park - I even made your site a favourite :)

Originally Posted by Ric Easton . Take a look if you get a chance! Also been on a vacation or two and for the past week have been home after a "procedure" Which allowed me time to post here! Most weeks I have been able to take a quick peak, though! Keep on keeping on!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ric: Next time I see you, I want you to be lugging around an oversized portfolio of your pix!

(Only funny because Ric usually has his hands rather full at work!)

I'm not a facebook guy (although EVERYONE tells me I should be). But I'll get my wife on that fan thingie...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil! I should have a new blog up late tonight!

Mike, if you are at all interested in the Dawn at the Track print, there is a free drawing for a nice plaque mounted version of it at the East Greenbush 1st Niagara Bank on Columbia Turnpike. The drawing is sometime tomorrow though, so there ain't much time left! Oh, and thank your wife for me for becoming a "fan!"

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Not the Betamax! And yes, Peggy friended me! Just hope she doesn't read too much of my last week and a half's worth of status updates. Not for the weak of heart (a lot of post procedure talk)! My life was an open (face)book. I think it was the drugs talking.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, Best Buy didn't have any of the new Stargate Blu-rays... But, today Amazon dropped their price on it to 17.49! So, I'm in! Also bit on the Blu-ray of The Prisoner! Stargate holds a special place for me since that is the movie the wife and I saw the night we got engaged! Yeah, I'm a real romantic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks