What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10/26/04 (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
quote:Anyone think "The O.C." is worth buying as a box set? Never saw the show but it seems to get raves. Wouldn't mind have the dvds to go thru each episode. Can't stand to watch regular TV with all those commercials.

Even though I dont know your tastes, I would highly recommend this series. The first season was great and the only show I am anticipating to start now besides 24. The acting is really good. The parents and the kids are both great and enjoyable charatcters. I really did not find anything annoying with this show. Thankfully it does not get to soapy and does have the power to transcend to an mature adult audience. I have been hooked since the pilot premiered at the end of summer '03. Of course I'm attracted to shows that take place in beach towns and or SoCal.

The show was shot in HD and shown in widescreen. I plan to get it eventually after seeing how the next season goes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:Hey Mike, since when is a 26 foot TV a "small screen?" If that's what you watch your movies on, I'm heading down to Rensselaer from now on to watch my DVDs.

Scott: If it was a 26-foot screen, you would be able to go out on your back porch and see what I'm watching!

blush.gif

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Anyone have any prices for Garfield:Holiday Celebrations?Any help will be appreciated.

I'll second this question. This is the only DVD I'm interested in this week. I looked in the ads today, but I didn't see it anywhere....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:Anyone have any prices for Garfield:Holiday Celebrations?

I didn't come across it in my travels. Sorry.

In the meantime, I've been looking for the Harry Connick Christmas DVD that was supposedly released this past week "Harry for the Holidays". Has anyone actually seen it anywhere? I figure it was either delayed or everyone's keeping it in their back room until they put out their Christmas merchandise (which some stores are actually doing already! :eek: )

Thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:In the meantime, I've been looking for the Harry Connick Christmas DVD that was supposedly released this past week "Harry for the Holidays".

This isn't released until November 2.

The "Garfield Holiday Celebrations" DVD has the same list as "Garfield as Himself," so I'd expect the same $8.99-$12.99 price range in most mass merchandisers. (EDIT: BestBuy.com lists at $12.99; Walmart.com has it for $9.38)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Picked up The Thing today along with a few other DVDs. The slipcase for The Thing is one of the best I've ever seen. One thing that is weird is that there is a pocket for a booklet but nothing in it. I was wondering if anyone could check their copy when they get it.? I'll have to see if there is a review somehwere.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mulan has that disney phrase "family friendly widescreen"

for this 1:66 release.

surprised no one has watched it yet to let us know what it looks like.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't a lot of Disney animated movies in the past been animated at 1.66:1 and then cropped to 1.85:1 for theatrical presentation? Might be the same for Mulan (that's what IMDB says, BTW, not that I trust them to be accurate on this point).

Anyway, just Mulan for me. I was hoping someone would have deals on this and other Disney animated movies (like buy Mulan and any other animated Disney DVD and save $10 or something), but that doesn't appear to be the case this time.

Dave

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Mulan's aspect ratio...

According to IMDB (of course, they aren't infallible) they give two ratios:

1.66:1 (negative ratio)

1.85:1 (intended ratio)

So perhaps Disney isn't cutting the sides off.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Looks like just Mulan for me, maybe a double-dip on The Thing. Good--needed a break after the last two weeks!

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
As hinted in early posts, with many recent disney cel animation films, the original animated frame has an AR of 1.66:1, which was then cropped top and bottom slightly for 1.85:1 theatrical release, and then cropped on the sides slightly for 1.33:1 video (especially VHS) release. So the 1.66:1 for this release most likely has all of the picture info found on the previous 1.85 version, with a bit of extra on the top and bottom.

I sold my old Mulan on Ebay tho, so I'll have to look elsewhere for verification.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
If anyone finds a review of the new vs old mulan could you post?

I can put a frame grab up for comparison if someone give me a frame (time code) they want to compare.

Did they do a Home Theater Mix on this relase too? I really don't konw if I want the double dip other than to "complete" the collection. =?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Can someone who goes today let me know if Target is carrying the UR Director's cut of Dawn of the Dead ?

Thanks

Greg S

Supporting Actor
quote:Can someone who goes today let me know if Target is carrying the UR Director's cut of Dawn of the Dead ?

Can do Dave as I will be there in about 2 hours (lunch break) to pick up something they have on hold for me so I can easily peruse the DVD Section for you.

Will post in a little while with outcome.

Oh and just Mulan SE for me this week(still on life support from last weeks DVD buying).

Thanks Mike

Greg

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Thanks Greg It'll save me a trip to the wrong Store, Best Buy is out of the way and Target is on the way home, I don't care about the extra disk and it's the same price.

Thanks Again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks