What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-20-2009 (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have been ordering my recent Blu's by clicking on the amazon tag in the fine reviews (no bias here, of course) - but I am too curious to see the IMAX footage on the Wal Mart exclusive..I think I will stop by on my way to work, there's a Wal Mart less than three minutes from my house.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Neil- It may come down to price. It my local WM has it for $19.96 I'll get it, if not I'll pick it up at Amazon. There is no flyer for my local WM, so I have no idea wht to expect.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from WallyWorld with Transformers 2 on BD. Both the Blu-ray and the 2-disc DVD were 19.96.

I sure hope this pricing continues.

James_Koch

Agent
I wanted to mention, for anyone that wanted Ichi The Killer on Blu-Ray, it appears that it was delayed again at the last minute.
Best Buy and Amazon have both changed the release date on their sites to 11/24.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Got Transformers 2 at my Wal Mart also for $19.96 (minus my nephew's employee discount of $2 & $3 for the Papa John's coupon which brought the 2 discer to $14.96 + tax. Sweet).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Mathius /forum/thread/294079/weekly-roundup-10-20-2009#post_3619420
You will, Michael. At least that's what my experience with pre-ordering Snow White from amazon tells me. I got an e-mail notification from them in a day or two about my bank account being credited the difference.

Is the only way to get the Papa John's ticket to go to a local store? Are they on the internet anywhere?

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Between the T2 disc I just purchased and the Snow White deal ($19.96 - $10 coupon), Wal Mart is fast becoming my go-to place to purchase Bluray discs. I just picked up Transformers 2 on blu for $13. There were four shelf slots for the bluray and all four had $13.00 price tags. The product description matched so I grabbed a disc and checked the upc - it matched too. I carried it to the electronics counter and told her about the $13 shelf tags and asked her to check the price. It came up as $19.96. She walked over and checked the upc and description on the shelf tags like I had done and offered to match the price without me even asking.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Also, would it make sense to include just Walmart's online prices (under Walmart.com)? Most folks might not actually order from there, but their online site might still serve as a good reference point for shoppers though, especially since Amazon tends to match their prices quite regularly these days.
On a tangent...Walmart.com and Amazon.com are currently having a price war over new release hardcover books. Many upcoming "big name" releases (Stephen King, Koontz, Patterson) are only $9 each for hardcover.

My local Wal-Mart store still sucks on prices because they have no major competitors within 40 miles. New release DVD's are always $19.96 for the single disc and usually $22.96-$24.96 for any 2-disc versions. Blu-ray is $29.96 and up. It's sad but I frequently find better deals at the local FYE (usually with their mail-in rebate). And online, of course.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

It's sad but I frequently find better deals at the local FYE (usually with their mail-in rebate). And online, of course.
Malcolm: I'm finding FYE's in-store prices starting to get much more reasonable. And, it seems like MIRs are becoming a thing of the past with them. This is to the point where I'm actually contemplating their annual fee "backstage pass" thing to get their coupons on used stuff, 10% discount, etc.

Again, I temper this as I have curtailed my software purchases WAY back...but I find myself shopping there more and more as my only choices for B&M stores are now BB, W-M, Target & FYE...and FYE is the only place doing any "used" business.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If it were an annual fee I'd consider it too, but it's $10 a month. I'd have to spend a lot more than I do to make Backstage Pass worthwhile.

You do get a free trial month to start, so it may be worth trying on your birthday (you get 20% off).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron: A clerk explained to me the other day that they've got two different deals working right now: the $10/month card (VIP?) and a $25/year card. I've been meaning to research the difference and the benefits.

Enough purchases with a regular discount and enough of those 40% off USED and I'd recover that $25 quick enough...I think.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I stopped by a Walmart that is close to where I work at lunchtime to see if they had their exclusive Tranformers 2 Blu-ray disc. I was surprised to see that the shelf tag showed $13.00 and even more surprised that it rang up that amount. It sounds like (from reading a thread on another forum) the prices are varying from $13 to $19.96 depending upon which Walmart you shop at.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw the Iron Man dvd in the Kmart ad, I think only the Blu-ray is a best buy exclusive.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Thanks, Mike and Patrick.

One release I noticed had been left out that might be of interest:

Plastic Man: The Complete Collection (4 discs)

Amazon: $28.99
Best Buy: $34.99
Target: NOT THERE

But Wal-Mart has it for the very nice price of $24.96 in-store (this seems to be a universal regular price in-store, not a sale price, so I do not think mileage would vary). Saw this price at multiple stores. Walmart.com is selling it for $33.86.

Jay*W

Second Unit
One other noteworthy Wal-Mart non-sale price on a new release:

Peanuts '70s Collection v.1 is $19.99 in-store. Again, this appears to be a regular price, not a sale price that would vary by store. Saw this price at multiple stores.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by TonyD 

I saw the Iron Man dvd in the Kmart ad, I think only the Blu-ray is a best buy exclusive.
You are correct, Tony. Saw the DVD a couple of places this week.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Aaron: A clerk explained to me the other day that they've got two different deals working right now: the $10/month card (VIP?) and a $25/year card. I've been meaning to research the difference and the benefits.
Interesting. That's the first I've heard of the $25/year option. (I still probably don't shop there enough for that to be worthwhile.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of the $25/year option. (I still probably don't shop there enough for that to be worthwhile.)
Aaron: HERE'S the info on how the annual card works. Pretty basic.

Don't get confused by the wording of the questions at the top of the FAQ which mention "Platinum". If you just scroll down to the actual FAQs, you'll see they all pertain to the annual card rather than the $10/month card. Hope they're not phasing the annual card out. Maybe I should jump in quick before it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks