Weekly RoundUp 1-31-12 Edition

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Adam Gregorich, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Mike, I'm sorry you are having such a time of it and I hope they figure out what's going on soon and get you back to feeling well. As far as I know, Amazon doesn't take the Disney coupons.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Feel better, Mike!

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Can be had for $20 shipped here.... http://apps.facebook.com/transformersshop/index.php?p=product&id=1

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Nice, thanks Tony! Anyone know if the $10 upgrade coupon was in the original DVD, or only in the Blu-Ray? It strikes me that I have a friend who got the DVD but doesn't have a BD player. . .

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I jumped on the Amazon deal a couple months back, which put the price at 17.99. I'm assuming most places will have the two-disc for 24.99, so even in best case scenario where the $8 coupon gets used on the two-disc, the price would be very close. Plus I don't have to deal with Toys R Us. :D

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I just received (but have yet to watch) what is purported to be an excellent Queen documentary Days of Our Lives. My brother has seen parts of it and loved it. I pre-ordered the DVD at got it for $10.99, but it's jumped up to $14.99. The BD is priced at $16.99. CAVEAT EMPTOR: The DVD runs 165 mins, but the BD version has extended footage and runs 221 mins.! I have seen NOTHING as to why the difference in running times occurs, and from the reviews on Amazon the extra footage is not HD...

Here's the link:Amazon.com: Queen: Days Of Our Lives: Queen, Matt O'Casey: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Queen: Days Of Our Lives [Blu-ray]: Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon, Matt O'Casey: Movies & TV

And Mike, GET BETTER SOON!!!!

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Awesome, I hadn't heard about that. The listing says it's from Eagle Rock Entertainment, which does the wonderful "Classic Albums" series of album docs (they did one on A Night at the Opera).

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    FYI: Amazon has finally dropped the price of the new Transformers 3 set to $24.99.

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Get well soon, Mike!

And thanks for this WRU, Adam!

Lots of excellent classic/catalog titles this week, but will probably wait for better prices on some of them.

RE: English Patient and some other recent Lionsgate BD releases of Miramax titles, Costco is apparently carrying them for $8.99 each. My wife just picked up The Piano for that price (plus the 3 Hitchcock BDs for $9.99 each). Since I'm a B&N member and their site currently has English Patient and Frida at $9.99 each, I'm just gonna use some 20%-off coupons (and my Discover Card 10% cashback) w/ B&N instead. Might order Cold Mountain from Amazon at their current price of $7.99. Already got Shakespeare In Love as a UK import some time back.

Also, my Amazon preorder of Adaptation arrived earlier this week. Can't wait to watch this one for the first time...

Cheers!

_Man_

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Hey Mike, does that news I saw somewhere else mean you are getting better?

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

A quick update, Tony.

First...I'm home. That's great news for me after being in the hospital since last Friday.

But, secondly, they still don't know what's wrong with me. The results of the tests I took need to "percolate". They've had 48 hours in their petri dishes or culture dishes to grow...but, so far, no results. So, I have to begin a "best guess" regimen of a 4th different antibiotic in order to try and get rid of whatever kind of infection I've got in my lungs.

But...it's great to be home.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I just pulled the trigger tonight with Amazon on The Magnificent Ambersons as it dropped, today, to $9.99!

The order also includes the 2-disc blu combo pack of Lady & the Tramp, the blu release of the Tarantino CSI episode from a few years ago (which also dropped today (from a $19.99 pre-order to $15.99) and...Wings!

Big order. But I've been sick and deserve the treat!

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Sounds like you're right where you should be, then. Sometimes these things happen for a reason/ A few years back my dad got really winded and sick feeling after walking up a big hill. The office he was going to called an ambulance as a precaution, and he ended up getting emergency heart surgery that saved his life. I'm grateful every day that that office was "over"cautious. While trying to get a good night's sleep in any hospital sucks and the food's generally terrible, now that you're under the watchful eye of medical professionals, they can figure out what's wrong so you don't have to keep living with it. Get well soon! Thanks for checking in and keeping us all updated. Thanks for covering in the meantime, Adam! Looks like only To Kill a Mockingbird for me this week.

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Is the only difference between the 3-disc and 2-disc Lady and the Tramp the addition of the digital copy?

16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

I believe so. Disney only sent the 2-disc for review.

17. Frank Ha

Frank Ha Second Unit

Frank Harrison
    Mike, I'm glad you're home and I hope the doctors figure out soon what's wrong. Get well soon. I'm praying for you.

18. Ashly Yeo

Ashly Yeo Stunt Coordinator

Good to hear you are back home Mike. Get better soon and your fill-in is doing a kick-ass job :)

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah...I think that Adam is angling for my gig!

I can't thank everyone enough for all the prayers and well wishes this week. They have buoyed my spirits...for sure.