What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-15-2013 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I go first day on the best buy thing because the good movies tend to be gone after only a few days.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would agree with you, Man, if this was a brand new program never used before in the stores. But it's not. I'd also agree if the ads were kept under lock and key with no one seeing them prior to Sunday OR if any BB had any shred of competence in any store I've ever been in. However, they can't stock a new release on release day, let alone understand one of their programs is actually starting on a certain day. There were fiascos three different times last year with new releases, a product in their ad the Christmas before, and a 20 minute "search" for Bond movies in the fall. They simply don't care to get it right. I don't blame the front end people; I entirely blame leadership who did not prepare their people in any way, shape or form.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Par for the course at Best Buy. I've pretty much given up trying to shop any of their special promotions. It seems like every time I do, I end up with a huge hassle. If they have a decent straight-up price, fine. But I'm not bothering with any of the trade-ins, coupons, or buy-this-get-this offers anymore. The associates never seem to know how to process them correctly (and the managers are seldom any better). The last straw was a few months back when they had the "Buy $50 in TV titles, get a $10 gift card; or buy $100 in TV titles, get a $25 gift card." I bought over $100 in TV titles, but was only given the $10 gift card. Checking my receipt, the computer did not recognize "Supernatural: Season 2" as a TV title. It was classified "Horror," so it was not included in the TV totals. First the customer service person said the deal was over (which it was not, the signs were still posted all over the TV aisle and dates clearly marked). Then she said I hadn't met the $100 minimum and didn't want to believe that Supernatural was really a TV title when I pointed it out. Finally, she went off and talked to her manager and came back and gave me a $15 refund on my purchase, rather than re-process all the gift cards. So I ended up with the correct deal, but it required a huge amount of stress and waste of my time that should have been completely unnecessary. Never again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Never any troubles down here in the stores in and around Philly

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I can understand people's reluctance to trade-in at Best Buy when they read about problems encountered (even if somewhat new employees were unfamiliar with the program, they should have enough sense to ask someone who did know) not every store is going to result in that experience. I haven't had a problem at my store since maybe the first time the program started and even then, they asked another employee and that was it so it took maybe 30 seconds to correct. There was even a time that a girl saw me walking up to the CS area holding DVDs and she grabbed coupons and handed them to me as I literally arrived at her register.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For all of Best Buy's faults, I have to say my local store has been pretty good compared to the horror stories others have shared. I've never had an issue with the trade and save program. In fact it seems like even less of a process now, as I brought in my stash, the guy opened them up to make sure the discs matched the covers and he peeled off five coupons from a pad. No receipt log generated like before (though I could see that coming to bite me later).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since we're talking about Best Buy today...
Do they still send out those every-so-often packets of "preferred customer" coupons? They used to be all the rage...but I could never get them.
All the sudden I feel very old...with the realization that thread is now ten years dormant.
Anyway, I haven't heard anyone talking about using/getting those coupons in a long time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
Since we're talking about Best Buy today... Do they still send out those every-so-often packets of "preferred customer" coupons?  They used to be all the rage...but I could never get them.  All the sudden I feel very old...with the realization that thread is now ten years dormant.:eek: Anyway, I haven't heard anyone talking about using/getting those coupons in a long time. 
WHAT THE H?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think the U & S program probably replaced those coupons, at least for DVD media. I haven't gotten any in six months or longer. But my experience was easy, too. As TravisR mentioned, they just peeled off a coupon and handed it to me when I handed the disk over. Another clerk had to remind them to make sure there was a disk in it. I picked up "Samsara" on BD. Movie Gallery and Amazon have been offering less and less for DVD trade-ins, to the point where it just isn't worth it for the 40 cents or whatever (unless you trade in 5 together at Movie Gallery and get an extra $5 toward a future release). So, to get mainstream titles, this is a good deal. And all these people worrying about stock being gone - from my experiences, and talking to the customer service rep, not all that many BB customers even use or follow this program. Just us hard copy collectors, I guess.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
It's a real shame about B.B., I worked there 4 about 5 years, they have lots of training including a sunday morning meeting, ads are locked up until closing sat night, when the signage is changed. Then Sun. morning the ad is walked to make sure all signage is correct accoring to the ad. As for sales it's up to the staff to do what they are trained for. They need to do what the ads says, if ad is wrong there should be a sign, if not you win. I liked working there, It was the staff that made it hard to do your job. One of the biggest problems was some of the staff out & out lying about the service plans. Some would tell customers that we did'nt repair we replaced items. Of course nobody did that on first time trouble with your item.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ric Easton
Dear Mike,
You ARE very old!
Umm. How's that old saying go?
It takes one to know one...
You and I were just feet away from each other...several times last week...and you completely didn't notice me. In the scrum after the governor's speech, at the fracking protesters, etc.) It's like you were working hard or something...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way, that thread is still a fun read for me. Lots of old names in that thread. Nice to see TonyD representin' on Page 1. Even that Dave Lambert guy chimed in. I'm still waiting for him to come back and resume these RoundUps...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Everett Stallings
It's a real shame about B.B., I worked there 4 about 5 years, they have lots of training including a sunday morning meeting, ads are locked up until closing sat night, when the signage is changed. Then Sun. morning the ad is walked to make sure all signage is correct accoring to the ad. As for sales it's up to the staff to do what they are trained for. They need to do what the ads says, if ad is wrong there should be a sign, if not you win. I liked working there, It was the staff that made it hard to do your job. One of the biggest problems was some of the staff out & out lying about the service plans. Some would tell customers that we did'nt repair we replaced items. Of course nobody did that on first time trouble with your item.
I used to work at BB too back in the day, so I know what you're saying.
I've done U & S at this store multiple times in the past with no problem. And I prolly will again this weekend.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Just wanted to add that where in general my local BB is usually pretty bad, they were smooth sailing with the U&S this week

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ric Easton said:
Dear Mike, You ARE very old!
No, he is not very old -- maybe he's just regular old as in he remembers when you had to move the switch on the top of the cable converter box to change channels and you only got 32 channels I am on the other hand heading toward very in a great hurry. I remember when you had to take the pair of plyers that stayed on top of the TV to change channels b/c that little piece of plastic inside the knob on the front of the TV set was always stripped. Didn't really matter b/c there was only 3 channels to choose from during the daytime (and one of those was PBS which nobody watched) and sometimes a 4th at nighttime on the UHF when the weather was OK. Of course those TV towers were way over there in the middle of the city and that has to be at least 20 miles so you were lucky to get anything.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I was a kid we had one of those wired cable remotes that looked like an old time address book. You would slide the control back and forth over the different channels.

But we had mostly rabbit ears to get the three local stations in the Albany, NY market.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If you order a title online at Best Buy and have it delivered to the store, can you use the $5 upgrade coupon when you pick it up? There are some titles that are only available online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks