What's new

We need the Ultimate punk 3 pack (Urgh! Decline of the Stains) (1 Viewer)

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
A few years ago I posted on this forum my wish to see Corvette Summer and Gumball Rally released on DVD. Well within a year or so(?) they were released on DVD and within the same time frame. I think. Anyway they're out so that's a done deal.

NOW let's move on to 3 movies that desperately need an upgrade to DVD: :)

-URGH! A Music War: imdb.com/title/tt0138902/

-Decline of Western Civilization Part 1: imdb.com/title/tt0082252/

-Ladies and Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains: imdb.com/title/tt0082639/

If you aren't familiar with the above 3 titles I recommend you check out the links and delve into them.

URGH! Is the essential punk rock/new wave concert movie, with many bands performing live that would never be seen again(Invisible Sex anyone?). Musically this is the most dense concert movie you're likely ever to see. No backstage antics or interviews, just strictly performances and the movie is better for it. Unfortunately there are so many bands, lawyers and egos involved with this title is about as problematic is it could get.

Decline of Western Civilization is a raw look at the L.A. punk scene circa '79 and '80. I wish they would do a follow up to this via DVD so they can update us on those that have died or the whereabouts of those still living! Sounds morbid but if you know the movie it's a valid interest.

And finally Ladies and Gentlement The Fabulous Stains. This is a fictional account of a female punk rock band in the early 80's. fabulousstains.com/behindmovie.html goes into a lot of the story behind the story of the story that was never officially released.

So in closing, if I were to have a 'fantasy DVD box set' it would be URGH!, Decline and the Stains. And maybe throw in a 4th disc that goes into the times, the culture and the current music scene which borrows heavily from all of the above.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree and would add DANCE CRAZE to your list.
URGH! has some incredible performances, but I believe you are right -- licensing fees and royalties are going to be huge stumbling blocks.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Ooooooooh, Dance Craze ya say ay? "Documentary on Britain's 2 Tone Ska Era from the late seventies to the early eighties."
imdb.com/title/tt0150265/

Never heard of it.

Sounds right up my alley!!! :D Thanks for hipping me to it.
(I'm going through a massive punk/new wave/ska phase right now)
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A 3-pack of all the Decline of Western Civilization films would be nice to have.

Is Stains the one they used to show on Night Flight all the time?

I miss Night Flight. . .

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Decline of Western Civilization is in the works. I think Penelope Sheeris may have found extra stuff she wants to add. There could possibly be problems getting all the music rights but that could just be rumor. She has a website but gives no date when it will be released.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I would venture to say yes, based on the various things I've read about people seeing it on Night Flight, which also screened URGH and probably DOWC as well. Although I hadn't seen any of those on NF, only read that people saw them on it.

*sigh I miss Night Flight too.

I had to youtube the intro because I loved that beautiful night flyby of the city, water, mountains and moon in the background. I used to watch it in San Diego so when ever I'm down there I SO want to catch Night Flight on the USA Network again.;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Glad to know that Decline may be in the DVD works! If you watch the Stains doc they mention that Paramount was FINALLY releasing it on DVD and yet that was around 2005 or 6-ish? And still no DVD. =/

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I watched Dance Craze last Friday with my gf and her sister and lemme tell ya, it was a BLAST! Nothing like watching something like this with girls that know the music on a Friday night, we all had mega fun. I knew a smidgen of it but I'm still discovering this stuff myself. I definitely remember all these groups but at the time I was into other forms of music so it's a bit of an epiphany.

Thank you SOOOO much for mentioning Dance Craze, Thommy. As a result I "acquired" it, watched it and love it. Definitely belongs in the ultimate punk/new wave/ska DVD boxed set. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks