We need more Herzog films on DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I own the two Anchor Bay Herzog boxed sets and great they are, but I now need more. How about these:

Signs of Life (1968)
    German soldiers occupy Crete during WW2. The drastically different cultural attitudes of the Greeks leads to psychological tension.

*There's a German R2 edition but it doesn't have subtitles.

The Flying Doctors of East Africa (1969)
    Documentary, not just about flying doctors, but of the biased Western perception of the World.

Land of Silence and Darkness (1971)
    Extraordinary documentary on Fini Straubinger who has been blind and deaf since birth and who works to help other sensory-impaired people. Moving, life-affirming with much food-for-thought. One of the greatest documentaries ever made.

Handicapped Future (1971)
    Another striking documentary from Herzog on the disabled, their rightful place in society, their perception of life and how they expect to be treated. Made at a time when German sensibilities had fully recovered from Nazi propaganda, this film was perhaps ahead of its time compared to the rest of the World.

The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974)
    Walter Steiner is a ski-jumpter who also carves wooden sculptures. Shot in the Bavarian mountains, the character takes on a somewhat Wagnerian quality. It's a brilliantly bizarre character study, typical of Herzog.

Nobody Wants to Play with Me (1976)
    14-minute short on a misunderstood child whom no one wants to play with, but one day he befriends a girl and invites her home to see his talking raven. It's a fine short.

Huie's Sermon (1980)
    Short document of one Reverand Huie's impassioned sermon in his hometown of Brooklyn. It's just a one-camera, one-take 40-minute shot of his sermon. He has to be seen to be believed.

God's Angry Man (1980)
    Short docu on now-fogotten wacko televangelist Dr Eugene Scott. It plays like a parody... but isn't and that it what makes it great. Again, it has to be seen to be believed.

Faith and Currency (1980)
    Another docu on the greed of The Church. I have never seen it.

Ballad of the Little Soldier (1984)
    Depressing and somewhat hilarious documentary on brainwashed 12-year-old indigenous Nicaraguan Contras who are 'trained' to fight the Sandinista Revolutionaries. Herzog uses the Socratic method of questioning that reveal endless contradictions. A must-see.

Where the Green Ants Dream (1984)
    One of Herzog's best fiction films. There's a German R2 edition out on 25th January! It has the German and English soundtracks and it anamorphic.

The Dark Glow of the Mountains (1984)
    Legendary mountaineer, Reinhard Messner, attempts to scale two of Pakistan's Gasherbrum Peaks in a single trek without oxygen tanks! Madness? Or simply the 'will-to-power' Nature in order to overcome oneself? Beautiful images.

Les Gauloises (1988)
    I've never seen this. I don't even know what it is about. It's a 12-minute short.

Echoes From a Somber Empire (1990)
    Documentary examining Bokassa's rule in the Central African Republic using the testimony of witnesses and visits to key sites. I have never seen this one.

Scream of Stone (1991)
    Not my favourite Herzog film. I'd actually be more interested in his audio commentary than in seeing the film again!

Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia (1993)
    I've never seen it, but it sounds interesting.

All these films could be spread over 8 discs:

Disc 1
    Signs of Life (1968, 85 mins)
    Nobody Wants to Play with Me (1976, 14 mins)

Disc 2
    The Flying Doctors of East Africa (1969, 43 mins)
    The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974, 45 mins)

Disc 3
    Land of Silence and Darkness (1971, 85 mins)
    Handicapped Future (1971, 16 mins)

Disc 4
    Huie's Sermon (1980, 40 mins)
    God's Angry Man (1980, 40 mins)
    Faith and Currency (1980, 40 mins)

Disc 5
    Ballad of the Little Soldier (1984, 46 mins)
    The Dark Glow of the Mountains (1984, 45 mins)
    Les Gauloises (1988, 12 mins)

Disc 6
    Where the Green Ants Dream (1984)

Disc 7
    Echoes From a Somber Empire (1990, 91 mins)
    Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia (1993, 60 mins)

Disc 8
    Scream of Stone (1991)

Perhaps 8 discs is too much; Scream of Stone could be dropped, I suppose.

Commentary by Herzog on all films would be ideal, but as long as we get it for the major documentaries and Green Ants then I'd be a happy chappy.

I'm now off to visualize planets that don't exist yet...

2. Armin Jager

Armin Jager Stunt Coordinator

A few of the films of your wish-list (The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, Ballad of the Little Soldier) are added as extras on German DVDs and you'll get your audio commentary for Scream of Stone (Herzog really does them for every of his pictures), but unfortunately the DVDs from Arthaus lack subtitles. Herzog is one of the rare cases where there are enough DVDs available in Germany, for many of the other famous German directors you have to search the DVDs in USA.

3. R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim Stunt Coordinator

4. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

Signs of Life and Land of Silence and Darkness are both available on DVD from New Yorker, and Steiner is part of a triple feature with How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck and La Soufriere (amazing film), on DVD from them as well. Where the Green Ants Dream is available from a company called Tango Entertainment, but I can't find any information on the DVD itself, no aspect ratio or even anything on extras.

I'd love to see the rest, though. I love Herzog's work. Maybe I'll save up my pennies for that big set.

5. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

not only is Signs of Life now availble, it's got a great commentary track.

And "Nobody Wants to Play with Me" is the best short I've ever seen in my life, period. It cost me an arm and leg to hunt it down, but it was worth it. Every person I've watched it with has been floored by it.

Come to think of it, just about anything with Herzog's name on it is worth it because you're pretty much guranteed you'll see something you've never seen before.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Where The Green Ants Dream is also currently available on R1 DVD.

7. R-T-C Tim

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I have to say, I was pretty dissapointed with "Where The Green Ants Dream"...

If you're not already familiar with the filma nd haven't seen it previously, I'd strongly suggest a rental first. Same for his newest film, "Wild Blue Yonder", which I hear is a real letdown and got panned in many reviews.

10. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

WTGAD is probably the weakest film in his collection. Herzog also dismisses it in his outstanding "Herzog on Herzog" book. I don't think it's that bad; it has it's moments, but its the last film of his I'd sit down to watch again.

11. R-T-C Tim

I thought 'WBY' was rather good. It is in a similar style to 'Fata Morgana' and 'Lessons of Darkness', in that it is most composed of dreamy music and footage that seems to serve no real purpose. I can imagine that 'regular' film critics wouldn't know what to make of it. But if you enjoyed those two Herzog films then you should enjoy 'WBY'.