What's new

We Gotta Get Outta This Place - The Escape Movies Tournament (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
Natural Born Killers
Logan's Run
THX 1138
Second:
The Killing Fields
Third:
Escape From Alcatraz
Papillon
- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Would you consider O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Well, since I suggested I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang which is also only partially about an escape, I guess you can nominate OBWAT. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing it pop up in every other tourney but that's just me.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Nominate-
The Doors-"We took drugs to expand our reality, not to ESCAPE from it!"
The Terminator
Pink Floyd The Wall-see Doors
The Poseidon Adventure
Second-
The Deer Hunter
Escape From LA
Midnight Express
Natural Born Killers

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Chicken Run
Victory
101 Dalmations (1961, of course)
Second:
Cube
Plague Dogs (I thought I was the only person who'd seen this!)
THX 1138
The Terminator
Third:
The Killing Fields
Logan's Run
Midnight Express
Runaway Train
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing it pop up in every other tourney but that's just me.
Love ya Steve, but frankly, I'm tired of movies getting voted out or even commented on because they pop up and do well in tourneys and some people get sick of them. They pop up and do well for a reason, because they deserve to be there and do well. O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a great movie! I've seen it several times, just caught it again on cable and, even in pan'n'scan, thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry you don't like it, but I think it gets better and better on each viewing, like most Coen films.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Updated. We've reached 16 and managed that fairly easily. Let's shoot for 32 as there are still some deserving films.
...I'm tired of movies getting voted out or even commented on because they pop up and do well in tourneys and some people get sick of them. They pop up and do well for a reason, because they deserve to be there and do well. O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a great movie!
Well, I'm of the opinion that it's not. :) Eh, don't get me wrong - I enjoy it, but I just don't think it's all that. FWIW, I'd give it three stars out of four. As for being sick of it, I just have a low tolerance for repetition and when you couple that with my opinion that it's overrated and....blah, blah, blah...
Oh well, you do get points for nominating Chicken Run and thirding Runaway Train. :)
Ric: sorry old chap, but I'm going to ixnay The Doors and Pink Floyd: The Wall. Let's not get too off-base. :)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm tired of movies getting voted out or even commented on because they pop up and do well in tourneys and some people get sick of them. They pop up and do well for a reason, because they deserve to be there and do well.
Ditto that. I'm pretty sure that a lot of votes against 2001, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings are cast simply out of spite.

OTOH, O Brother doesn't seem to fit in this moment.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Second: THX 1138 - [hint]there's plenty more I'd nominate & second but it looks like I ran out [/hint] :D
If its any consolation we're probably the only 2 people around here who's seen it. It's a wonderfully mature, emotionally draining animated gem in the same vein as Watership Down.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jim, keep those in noms in mind - I'll hand out more later tonight. :)
Edit: THX 1138 had already been seconded so I'll consider Jim's second a third.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
Toy Story
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
Three Amigos
Speed

Third:
Toy Story 2
101 Dalmatians
The Deer Hunter

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I second
Victory (also known as Escape to victory, John Huston's last movie)
Grand illusion
Toy story
101 dalmatians (not dalmations, nitpick)
How about movies where the bad guy is trying to escape, and the movie focuses around that as well as a parallel story? I am thinking of Silence of the lambs, unless it is too much of a stretch.
The rock is maybe not solely an escape movie either, since it does have a parallell story which takes more of the focus, but I'd like it in.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
First Blood
The Running Man
Daylight
Second:
Assault on Precinct 13
Third:
From Dusk Till Dawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks