What's new

WDT Wave 3 delayed until May (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
A couple of posters here pointed out that it doesn't matter much since they don't really care that much about the Treasures anyway.
Exactly, Lars. I don't understand these people posting. If some release I couldn't care less about got delayed, I wouldn't post in that thread. I wouldn't even read that thread, since I don't care about the release in the first place. Now with the Treasures, these are unbelievable DVDs. I have all that have any animated content (every one but Disneyland and Crockett), and have all 4 preordered at 20 bucks apiece. These are monumental historical releases, and December, apart from the Alien set and a few other releases that I'm interested in, is rather light in DVDs, so this leaves me with a pretty much slow month. I guess I'm gonna have that much more time to go through the nine discs of the Quadrilogy...

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well it seems to be pretty much a done deal, even though many places have yet to reflect the change. Shit.

Read this thread: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum...opic.php?t=1785 - especially 2099net's post on the 4th page. A quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
according to [a BVHE source] the reason is the orders from retailers for the Mickey and Donald sets are well above the limited edition numbers. We're not just talking a few thousand - we're talking double the print-run. Which results in stock allocation issues (each retailer would only get a percentage of their order) and, more importantly lost money for Disney. Why limit guarenteed sales?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is truly pathetic of Disney. They should've expected this. Limiting such lucrative sets is plain stoopid.

We better get Wave 4 December 7, 2004 - as scheduled. Unlimited.
To be fair, I do point out my information is from a dubious source - (s)he? is a classic "friend of a friend" and I did point out that another of his "insights" was apparently wrong.

However, the Disney store is now apparently listing them as "Available Spring 2004" (not that I've checked)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is infuriating and pathetic. I can't believe it. I have been waiting for these releases more than anything else for months! And I agree that that those people who are posting saying they don't care whether they are delayed or not are just being pointless and negative. If you don't care then go away!

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
It more and more seems to be true, I'm afraid. But still no official word also means that this is as close to a last-minute decision as it gets.

WHY, OH, WHY?!

Well, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, the most likely reason seems to be that the number of preorders by far exceeds what Disney anticipated when they first set those limited numbers on the tins. Wonderful, isn't it...?

One sad thing, I expect the number of preorders to be artificially high, as it is said that a lot of people order multiple copies to put on eBay. Which can't be such a great business either - if the Treasures are so sought-after, why aren't the prices on eBay higher than they are?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm really dissapointed about this delay. For the last two yeas, my brother has gotten my all of the Disney Treasures for Christmas. Now he'll need to find something else! That stinks, we were both happy with the arrangement :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
As much as my wallet is appreciating the delay, I have to say I'm dissapointed. I've been waiting 2 years for the war cartoons (it was rumored to be a wave 2 release)and the Looney Tunes set just made me froth with anticipation for these.

I was hoping it was a misscommunication, and that wave 4 was coming out in may, but it looks like we're not that lucky:frowning:

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
While yes there are a good number of things coming in December that will put a bit of strain on my wallet, this was my most anticipated. This sucks. Is it really going to take 5 months to press new editions?
I mean, I'll be happy to have them still, but this blows. Hope we get another wave next December... four titles, on time.
(I do wish this had come at least a full month before release...)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Like I said before, my wallet will be appreciative, but I am not really all that appreciative. Donald Duck is my favorite Disney character and I was looking forward to that set more than any other. I'll still get the 3 I really want, tomorrow Land is the 1 I'm not so sure about, but it would've been nice to put them on my Christmas/Birthday list. (my birthday is January 8) but Iwill live I guess.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
If the reason truly is an allocation issue, meaning Disney will be increasing the production run next spring, why not allocate away, and then send the remaining portion of the individual retailers' orders when they get a chance to make more (perhaps sans aluminum case). "Limited" status still held; Collectors happy for pre-Christmas release; Retailers happy since they will get their full allotment eventually; The masses happy since the non-limited version would be readily available; Disney happy since they will make mega-$$$. I wouldn't be surprised to see sales decline if they increase the "limited" production run to 300k-500k units. Limited my ass.

I'm mainly upset because I really wanted to watch Mickey's Chistmas Carol for Christmas. Not Mother's Day.

mike.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Unless it turns out that this delay is so they can add or fix something, then I see nothing positive about it whatsoever. If it's just a delay with no changes, then it sucks, and I'm very disappointed, but I'll get over it. If it turns out that they delete or censor something, then I'll be very pissed.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why do I have this feeling that when these surface in May that the Wartime set will be absent?
Because the Eisner era wants absolutely nothing to tarnish the clorox-pure name of this company. His oversensitivity is having the exact opposite effect.

The negative feelings over the war material may not have been present under past regimes: a 1980 anthology series episode entitled "Disney's Oscar Winners" had a clip from "Der Fuhrer's Face." I know this because I watched it recently at the Museum of Television and Radio.

They shouldn't have limited the print runs anyway. Just for this I want waves 4 AND 5 next year.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
It won't make any difference, but I'll be voting with my wallet against Buena Vista this entire shopping season, I can find a better present than Pirates of the Carribean for my brother anyway (and I'll be removing all Buena Vista titles from my christmas lists).

Let us all be praying this isn't an Eisner f*ckup, I've thought that from the very beginning (and have actually been fearing a last minute change since these were announced) that it was very possible some *sshole at disney would stop these sets from being released. I've also not said anything about my suspicions (just random suspicions based on the evil incarnate that is Eisner :D ) in the hopes that nobody on this thread took that as a fact.

Remember people any random speculating about censorship should be taken with giant grains of salt, because so far we've only heard that Disney overbooked the Wartime and Donald sets (funny that's the reason when they only announced the pressing numbers a few weeks ago...), and we should take that rumor as more substantial than angry and biased disney fans (like me) speculating on the bad management behind the ears.

Sigh, I wish the bits wasn't moving right now, I keep checking the site to see if they're investigating and then remember they're changing servers!

If Disney has overbooked these, then there is a genuine demand beyond just the collectors market the first two waves were aimed at (either that or ebay bastards are buying a bucketload of tins). In that case they should give the collectors the titles now (exclusive tins + lithography and the only way to get it for five-six months) and release the titles in plain keepcases down the road for the rest of the retailers.

In fact it'd be a good idea to put non-limited editions of the first two waves out, just to stick it to the ebay mongers. :D These cartoons/features should be seen, not hoarded and unenjoyed.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I hate hate hate that this has been delayed, actually, I hope they replicate these so that they can fill all of their orders and dim the prospects of greedy good for nothin's carping them all up only to place them on eBay for ridiciously high prices.

Now if the tins were stamped to indicate "167,081 of 175,000," for example, then I can see why they would need to recall the already stamped tins, recycle those babies and start over with "1 of 400,000," which sounds like a much better number for these sets.

As a side note, the Costco here in Wilsonville, Oregon still has a whole section full with that complete set of the first 7 double disk sets of Disney Treasures waves 1& 2 for $124.94

I love my tins, but I am glad they are out there now "sans tin" for those who really love the films and don't want to be scalped by some eBayer.

Mark

James Reader

Screenwriter
Remember people any random speculating about censorship should be taken with giant grains of salt, because so far we've only heard that Disney overbooked the Wartime and Donald sets (funny that's the reason when they only announced the pressing numbers a few weeks ago...), and we should take that rumor as more substantial than angry and biased disney fans (like me) speculating on the bad management behind the ears.
They actually announced revised numbers recently, previously the numbers were set at last years 125,000 each. And it should be noted, the Tomorrowland set went down while the others went up.

Perhaps they tried to make new tins in time, but couldn't - so decided to hold off until the time when sales for DVDs traditionally pick up - May?

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I think this may of been mentioned earlier, but i just looked out at disneys' site and the release schedule, and they still show on the front lines, donald, and tommorrow land as 12/2, but no sign of mickey is listed for 2003. could it be only mickey is delayed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks