What's new

WB's Police Academy 7-disc box-set: Press Release (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
WB, I want to give you money for this box set, but I want to do it with a clear conscience which means you've got to put 4 and 5 in OAR.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Let's just say that 4/5 are indeed FF only. We should then petition Warner with whatever we can and ask that they re-release them in widescreen later in the year (with the same features that have been announced for them already of course.)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Nice covers. Good thing they went with the original posters. Would be nice to see the set too.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Well, count me in as someone who had every intention of buying this set. I really hope it's a typo thing, but I don't think it is. How sad. Maybe they consider the later films less of a priority and won't do new transfers for them? Who knows...

As someone mentioned, it would be great to have the stuff from the TV cuts, but you rarely see that with 90 minute comedies. There is a big list of 90 minute comedies that have "filler" scenes added for their TV broadcasts...while it would be great to have them included on DVDs, I don't see it happening.

Regardless, count me in as another lost sale.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

If that was the case then why have #'s 6 & 7 in widescreen?

Anyway I shot off a 3 page letter to WB about this issue today, I hope everyone else will let them know what they think too.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, DVDFILE.com just posted this:

"Along with slasher movies and teen sex comedies, the most vilified cinematic phenomenon of the 80's was the inexplicable success of the Police Academy movies. To honor the original film's 20th anniversary, Warner Home Video will release a special edition of the blockbuster hit, as well its six sequels, on April 6th. Each film in the series will be newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen and include a new making-of featurette and the film's theatrical trailer."

In the words of the great Danny DeVito (from the DirectTV commercial): LIES!!!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
lol, you beat me to it. I just saw the DVDFile news column. Now what does this mean?? Is their information inaccurate or is the press release? I guarantee, if 4 & 5 turn out to be OAR, I'll be the first in line to get this set. Hopefully, we get some clarity on this issue soon. I know DVDFile has been known to make odd typos here and there. For example, when they announced the first season of "Three's Company", they stated that it would be a 3-disc set when we all know it was a single disc release. Who to believe........who to believe?

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Count me in as another Box Set purchase that won't happen if two of the movies are full screen.

I am still optimistic though, dvdempire lists 5 as 1.85 widescreen.

-Chad

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

Perhaps they have widescreen transfers of 6 & 7 already, therefore not needing a new ones (in their minds).

Anyway, I really hope this a mistake...I would love to buy the set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Inexplicable? They were funny, maybe? In my opinion, of course.

And as stated previously, count another no-sale if the full-screen issue stands as it supposedly currently is. I'd LOVE the boxset. I'd put it alongside my Kubrick Collection and look at it before going to sleep with a grin on my face! :D

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'll only buy the first movie since its a special edition with some decent extras. I might have bought the rest of the series IF they were all the widescreen extended TV cuts. But since they are not, I pass.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, since it is clearly odd that 4 and 5 are supposedly FS while all the others are WS, I'd like to be optimisic and believe the DVDFILE report. Maybe they got some more recent info

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Although DVD File is a wonderful website and I visit it daily, I sometimes get the impression that they do not always completely read press releases. Just recently the reported that "The Critic" would have no special features, and there have been many other occurences. I wouldn't be too confident in their info on the PA series.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Count me among those that sometimes question the thoroughness of DVDFile when it comes to reading press releases, but I do hope that they are correct, I do want to buy the box set I don't want films that aren't in their OAR when there is no reason for them not to be.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
You know, I used to review DVDs for Link Removed so I thought I'd contact Paul Russell and ask him about this. Here's what he had to say;

So take that how ya want it. Paul's a trustworthy guy, he says it's correct...

(Thanks to Paul for the e-mail!)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

There may be no good reason, but there has to be SOME reason. Somebody had to make this decision somewhere for a reason. It's so frustrating how secretive and cryptic this industry can be.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Michael, thanks for that bit of information. I'm still very disappointed with the news that 4 and 5 will be in fullframe and not in their original aspect ratio. Unfortunately, since I would buy the whole series buying 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 separately might end up costing me more than buying the box set.

James L White

Supporting Actor
buy the box, then sell off 4 & 5

Time to get the petitions/ riots ;) and what not ready,2 FS only DVDs in a box set of 5 WS, is stupid :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks