What's new

Wayward Pines - Fox (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This is the strangest TV show, but apparently a few of us are watching. A lot of these "summer" series are bizarre, this one at the top of the list. The abbies seem to be evolving, getting more intelligent. Will be fun to watch if the series keeps going.

It's just one of those things where you suspend any attempt at it being believable.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'm liking the way this is evolving. This past episode where they showed the 'caretaker' waking up every 100 years or so was exactly what I was imagining would/should happen if hundreds of people were in suspended animation.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, seeing the caretaker was quite a good move. Jason really does not get the situation and the whole town might suffer the consequences.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So when what's his name was outside the wall, did he form a bond with the Abbies? Looks like it's heading that way.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Not much on the abbies this week. But we got to watch them try and decide what to do in order to save themselves from the impending attack.

Creepiest moment; Jacob finding out that Kerrie was his mother!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Three episodes behind, so a mini-binge this weekend. Odd show, yet I'm enjoying it.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It is odd but weirdly enjoyable. One thought that came to mind with the suspended animation and determining when to wake up is that it's very similar to Time Machine, but only the future voyages into time. Obviously they can't go back in time, that would be ridiculous. ;-)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
[QUOTE="MarkMel, post: 4399436, member: 308364"Obviously they can't go back in time, that would be ridiculous. ;-)[/QUOTE]

With the writers on this show, time travel could easily be something they use to try and spice up the show. I noticed with next Wednesday's episode, it says "Season Finale", not "Series Finale", so it could easily be back again next summer.

If the magic "100" episodes for syndication still stands, this has a long way to go.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what I think of the season finale. I guess it was ok. They set it up so that each season the wayward pines residents can wake up a couple thousand years down the line. Decent enough for summer watching.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I had been thinking that Dr. Yedlin was going to try to negotiate something - maybe give them Jason's body as a show of good faith. The virus experiment was something I didn't think they would do, but I knew that someone would step up and so perhaps next season Dr. Yedlin can lead them from the start.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looks like we play the waiting game. Will or will not Fox renew it? Could apparently go either direction. I hope it comes back, can't be terribly expensive, not loads of CGI, no huge megabucks actors. I could see it going five seasons like "Falling Skies", but out of our control.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I saw Wayward Pines S01 back in 2015 & found it fascinating; really interesting how the town initially seemed idyllic, but at the same time there was a disturbing undertone/undercurrent that made it obvious that something just wasn't quite right. The sci-fi revelation/explanation about mid-way?! through S01 was the last thing I would have expected here - well-done.

I didn't see S02 until recently (for whatever reason, I didn't watch it back in 2016). Excellent season as well, and this went a lot further into the history behind how/why Prichard (T. Jones) set everything up re: picking people to inhabit the town, the scientific logistics re: the suspended animation, who the "Abbies" (Abnormals) originally were, etc.

One of the most heart-rending sequences in season 2 was when C.J. (the technician) felt that he had to kill the guy who was becoming the Abbie during one of the sequences when he went out "into the world" -while everyone else was in cryogenic sleep. I.e., it was obvious the "regular" humans who were living out in the wilderness were becoming Abbies through no fault of their own. And, those humans in the "protected" areas would also have become Abbies if they hadn't been selected for the Wayward Pines "experiment".

I also found several possible historical references in S02:

-The totalitarian young men wearing the military uniform "brownshirts" seemed obviously inspired by a similar group that were active during pre-WW II Earth.

-The Abbies encroaching on Wayward Pines in S01 & even more in S02 may have been inspired by the fall of Ancient Room - during that era, barbarians were constantly encroaching upon the city, before finally successfully invading & sacking the city (more than once) - which led to the eventual fall of Rome.

So - I actually found S02 slightly superior to S01 to some extent.

In any case, very well-done series which created a very fully-realized world. I do like how it ended, and don't feel it should have gone beyond S02 - since the story had a logical ending re: the finale.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Wow, I had forgotten completely about this show. The strange part is I liked the first season enough that I bought the three books, read them in quick succession (I think less than a week for all three), and have forgotten about them entirely. I remember liking the books--as you can read in my comments in this thread--but man I guess they were totally forgettable!

If you are looking for more Wayward Pines, it seems past-Josh liked the books. Maybe check them out!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched the first season and thought it had potential but was so underwhelmed by the ultimate reveal of it being futuristic zombie monsters or whatever. I’m so over the whole zombie thing that I finished up the first season but never went back for the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks