Watching Buffy and Angel in order

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by James Lambert, Apr 14, 2003.

1. James Lambert

James Lambert Stunt Coordinator

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but searching for buffy and angel seems to bring up most threads. My question is how to watch Buffy and Angel to catch the interconnecting stories. At the moment I'm going through it alternating episodes Buffy (season 4) then Angel (season 1) but it took over a week for Oz to go from Buffy over to Angel.

Also is it the same pattern for later seasons?

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'm guessing you mean season four of Buffy, but that's the general idea. I guess you slipped somewhere along the way, though -- the third episode of Buffy's fourth season ("The Harsh Light of Day") and the third episode of Angel's first season ("In The Dark") originally aired back to back on the same night, and since those are the episodes with the crossover you mentioned...

The fifth season of Buffy and the second season of Angel follow a similar pattern, with fewer crossovers. After that, there's no need to alternate unless you just happen to like watching that way.

3. James Lambert

Thanks Adam. You're right I did mean Season 4! Looking back on the listings, I somehow watched the "harsh light of day" as episode 2, Angel "lonely heart", "living conditions" as episode 3 then "In the Dark". I could well be wrong, but on the Region 2 box set menu I think this is how they were set out.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Curious,
    Would the 4th sesason of buffy have something mentioned on the box or in one of the inserts, to let people know, who might not know this.

5. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The UK release didn't.

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

I'm surprised that Jeff Kleist hasn't replied yet.

This is from his review of angel on the digital bits

City of...
    Lonely Hearts
    In the Dark**
    I Fall to Pieces
    RM w/a VU
    Sense and Sensitivity
    The Bachelor Party*
    I Remember You**
    Hero
    Parting Gifts
    Somnambulist
    Expecting
    She
    I've Got You Under My Skin
    The Prodigal
    The Ring
    Eternity
    Five by Five**
    Sanctuary**
    War Zone
    Blind Date
    To Shanshu in LA

* Episodes that lead into Buffy: The Complete Fourth Season
    ** Episodes that lead in from Buffy: The Complete Fourth Season

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    sounds like someone needs to compile a complete Angel/Buffy
    "correct episode watching" list, so there won't be any confusion[​IMG]

9. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

It's too bad Fox's releases of Angel and Buffy aren't closer together. It kinda defeats the purpose of crossovers if you have to wait 4-5 months to see the first half of it.

And if you think Angel Season 1 is bad, wait til you get Season 2. The "Fool for Love"/"Darla" connection will be completely lost on those who are seeing it for the first time, and even worse, the very last scene of the season finale gives away the ending to Buffy Season 5.

10. Matt Naglieri

I actually just finished watching both seasons last month so here's a list of crossovers

The following episodes should be viewed in order for Buffy Season 5 / Angel Season 2

Buffy 5:7 - Fool For Love / Angel 2:7 - Darla

Buffy 5:14 Crush must be watched after Angel 2:11 -Redefinition

Buffy 5:22 - The Gift / Angel 2:22 - There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

David Boreanaz appears in Buffy 5:17 Forever and Alyson Hannigan appears in Angel 2:17 Disharmony. Neither story is connected in any way and in fact unless you watch Angel 2:17 before Buffy 5:15 it almost seems in bad taste.

Angel 3:5 should be viewed anytime after the first few episodes of Buffy - Season 6. At this point Crossovers stopped until Buffy - Season 7 / Angel - Season 4. I won't list of them as they may be considered spoilers for people who don't or might not want to know

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sorry, been caught up in work [​IMG]

Basically if you want an easy to follow rule of thumb: Buffy Seasons 4/5 and Angel 1/2 should be watched in alternating order starting with Buffy, as they were originally aired.

Buffy 401/Angel 101, Buffy 402/Angel 102 and so on

I'd have to doublecheck air dates, there were some times when Angel was a repeat/Buffy new and vice versa.

Buffy 6/Angel 3 are totally clear of crossover issues, though it's looking like 4 won't be

Edit- Matt that would be 522 and 202 respectively, not 21

12. Matt Naglieri

Hi Jeff,

I you get a chance to read my post I think it's a pretty fair representation of how to go about watching the seasons in order.

I'm sure many people including myself dont really want to have to change discs so many times if they don't have to.

Matt

Thanks for catching that Jeff. I just woke up so i'm kind of suprised I got it listed at all. Usually it takes me all day to wake up. I've updated my previous post to reflect the change.

13. James Lambert

Sorry Adam but it was the Buffy menu that threw me and not Angel, as I watched Harsh light of day before living conditions, and I can see why! http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=3905 shows the Buffy Season 4 menu, and I can't believe anyone would design a menu system that goes Top left, Bottom left, top right, bottom right (rather than top left ,top right, bottom left, bottom right). Do the rest of the R2 DVDs follow this bizarre menu design?

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I just wish that they would number the eps on the disc. Make life so much easier

15. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Why is there a star next to "Bachelor Party"? How does that connect to a Buffy episode?

16. Matt Naglieri

It's sort of a 3-part episode At the end of bachelor party Doyle has a vision of Buffy in danger. Angel then goes back to sunnydale to help followed by Buffy following Angel back to L.A.

17. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Oh, right, Pangs. I forgot about that. Thanks.

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There has been a crossover in Buffy season seven/Angel season 4 and maybe more to come. I'm not sure what order these will be though. We'll just have to wait and see.

19. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

And that was?

20. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor