What's new

Was thinking of 1080p, but would 720 suffice? Opinions please! Also laminate screen? (1 Viewer)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Room is 22' long, 10' wide and 7' high. We'll be sitting at 14-18 feet away. I'd like my screen to be 8' wide with 16:9 ratio. (Whats that, 123 diagonal?)That leaves a foot on each side so basically the entire wall is a screen. Room is totally light controlled with no windows.

We have hundreds of DVD's and no Blu-ray's and frankly don't know if I will ever convert. I plan on the Onkyo SR606 with 1080 upscaling and our Sony DVD player has upscaling as well. All speakers are SVS.

I've looked at 1080p PJ's and was set on those when I began seeing that maybe 720 would suffice. The charts kind of confused me.

Sooooo... Would I need a 1080 for our viewing distances? And if so, or even not if so, would a screen that wide be feasible for a projector (1080 or not) and still have great video?

I'm a newb so let me have it! I'm willing to learn.

Finally, and a separate question, what are the feelings regarding wilsonart designer white laminate with the 1.24 gain over screen goo?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think that's 110"

If you absolutely are going to stick with DVDs, then you won't see *that* much difference in 760 vs 1080. That's because DVD is a 720 media. You'll get an improvement with the upscaling, but the upscaler can only do so much, it can't add information that isn't there. (Well, it can, but it's an estimation.)

The image of a 760 or upscaled 1080 at that distance would probably not be classified at "great", although you may find it satisfactory depending on your tastes. You could try renting a project to test it out.

I'm not one to push Bluray (I don't like the price differential of the disks; and I only have a 47" TV), but you should consider Bluray for that size sceen and viewing distance.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen

yup. To go further, Id recommend BD for the 47" display also. Once you see it there is no going back.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
From more research and your input, it looks like a 1080p is for me.

Anyone care to comment on the wilsonart screen?

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I think 1080p should be the no-brainer here, especially at what the prices are for good PJs at less than 2000. Not sure what your bedget is for the pj but consider Epson 1080, 1080UB as they are under 2k. I have a JVC HD1 on ebay with 900hrs listed for 2k. I'm not here to push a sale but to make a point, 1080p projectors are good and have come down allot in price. I have heard good things of WA screens, never experienced one in my theater. Consider Carada as well as they are highly recommended for a quality product and customer service. GL.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
I will probably purchase the Epson 6100. It fits into my budget and has been getting wonderful reviews. I saw one for $1550 at ontimedigital.com but ths sale passed and now they are $1,799.99. Should have pounced but was still researching. Still a great deal.

D-Jingle

Auditioning
Real Name
David Jameson
A great basis for making size / distance / resolution choices is "the rule of 2"

if your screen is 8' wide, and you are sitting no further than 16' away, you will benefit from 1080P. That also assumes that you are such a videophile that you already appreciate the advantage of 1080 over 720.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
You dont even get full res 1080p so why go 1080p right now? They degrade all video so until they give us the original full res copies...Its not worth messing with right now.

I just bought a 720 projector a couple months ago and love it and im not even running hd dvds..Just normal dvds...

Dont get to hung up on all the HD hype right now...Its not worth it

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ah, okay, got it now...sort of.

The OP only has SD...but we have been telling him to go to HD.

This comment still does not make sense and or is fundamentally wrong ;-)

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

Well..what I mean is..They "dvd distribution companies,whomever they are" still give us degraded video sources, EVEN HD. So we still dont have a true copy of the original video.

Also, look at your pc monitor. If you are using a high res flat panel or an older CRT you can get much higher res then 1080p. So looking at it this way we still have a long ways to do until we get full HD res in our homes.

I might be totally wrong or partially but Im close..
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen

your not even ball park
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Degraded video??

Of course we dont have a "true copy". We dont have the collective technology to allow for this.

If you would like to continue this "discussion" please start a different thread.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Hey guys...OP here. I appreciate the "tangent" but if someone could actually speak to the the laminate screen portion of my post, I would surely appreciate it.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i think you get what you pay for.
buy a carada if you have a limited budget.

V10Torque

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Rye
As with any technology there is a substantial premium for marginally better performance. I think if you're on a tight budget (as I am these days) go for the 720p and wait a few years for the 1080p prices to come down... but that's just my opionion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks