What's new

Was I the last guy on Earth to find out about this ??? (1 Viewer)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
So i'm talking film with a buddy cinephile that works at the video where i used to work. It's like stream-of-consciousness with us two. We start with The third man and fifteen minutes later,we have a sixteen degrees of separation thing goingand end up With John Waters and Polyester. A lot of fun and neither of us take chemicals or drink any homemade alcool beverages. This day,we talk about the Wachowski brothers,and what they have been up to... At which point my friend says..." you know Larry is now transgendered and is now a Lana.. ......................................................................................................................................................................... ???? And for the first time in my life,i feel i need to have a shot of tequila or smoke something that Isn"t labeled with any pics by the Surgeon general. "What ? " Now,i"m looking around for Allen Funt"s son but i"m thinking he wouldn't travel all the way to Montreal to "get " me. So i searched a bit around the web,but it all seems to be somewhat heresay.Although the imdb page for V for vendetta has a listing for Lana indeed. Cause i'm thinking in this Twitter age,the actual facts about this are bound to come out sooner or later. We have a famous enough band here in Quebec,for Quebec that is,and they have been together for quite some time,and i think the bassist decided to take female hormones therapy also. I guess with them kinda being out of the spotlight for a couple of years,or maybe not as much as in The matrix era of 1999-2000,you look elsewhere for film news. I applaud such a decision thought,because it's already a life-changing decision to make what with all the family and friends you announce this to,and its hard when you're not famous,let alone a Wachowski.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Apparently you are. IIRC rumors about his sexual predilections started coming out around the time of the Matrix sequels.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Paul D G said:
Apparently you are. IIRC rumors about his sexual predilections started coming out around the time of the Matrix sequels.
I was unaware of it, too. However, I don't think "sexual predilections" is the correct way to describe gender reassignment, which refers to a person's gender preference, and might not have anything to do w/ his/her "sexual predilections."

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Well Doug,here is your membership card.You are now an official member of the Unaware club. :D As for rumors around the time of the Matrix sequels,i have no recollections of such things,and i was reading a LOT of magazines and papers during these years. Paul D G ? Would you recall where you heard or read this by any chance ? Or would anyone else remember reading about it somewhere or on Entertainment tonight ? I have a friend,who used to be a guy and he worked for the Montreal Canadians as a locker boy,so he kept getting signed shirts from hockey players and he accumulated quite a collection.Then he sold it to a collector to pay for the sex change operation and is now a girl. But a girl with a guy's closet full of unopened Star wars toys from 1977 and the biggest horror and Hammer film collection you ever saw.She does a mean Christopher Lee Dracula at the renowned Fantasia festival. Full costume and cape.Crowd pleaser for sure.

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Larry Wachowski's divorce became very public around the time that the sequels were being released and his (soon to be ex-) wife made some not so veiled comments about the reasons for the split - this got folded in with a surprisingly detailed accounting of the brother's deal with Warner Bros. which probably got more of the attention. There has been very little from the brothers about this (and why should they after all), but IMDb seems to have no doubts as the entry name has been changed to Lana.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
A title change to the thread ? you're serious ? If you click on the thread and read my first post,you will still find out what it's about ,maybe show interest or not.and switch threads total time:maybe 10 seconds. C'mon. And although i can respect the move,i feel that a Matrix-film-directors-related subject is better suited for Bluray than Theatrical or any of the other sub-forums here. I've been thinking about this for a week or two now,and definitely feel that there is a sub-forum missing here. There are plenty of film-related news which are not bluray,not theatrical,and not hometheater equipment.But still news for film lovers which includes lots and lots of members here.Just saying.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope, I'm serious. I'd have not read the thread had I known it's subject. And it's perfectly placed in AHL, which sometimes get into the salacious details of stars lives. Personally I don't care who's Shtuping who, of whatever sex, as long as they are making quality films. ---Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. There are many published incidents of this as an anonymous proverb since at least 1948, and as a statement of Eleanor Roosevelt since at least 1992, but without any citation of an original source. It is also often attributed to Admiral Hyman G. Rickover, but though Rickover quoted this, he did not claim to be the author of it; in "The World of the Uneducated" in The Saturday Evening Post (28 November 1959), he prefaces it with "As the unknown sage puts it..." :)

CRyan

Screenwriter
I had only heard the rumors - Still never knew and don't know what stage its in so was never sure if I should still call them the W brothers when talking about their films. Anyway - to speak to the sexual predilections, I always considered it more along the lines of the phantom limb syndrome where people think they were born with the wrong (or too many) parts.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I don"t consider this a "salacious " kind of topic at all.It's not National enquirer stuff. as i said,i have a friend who used to be a guy,and don"t consider any less of her now. now that i find out how to embed videos, i do it all the time. And in the view of great minds discussing ideas, i give you this.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I couldn't give you specifics as I don't pay that close of attention, just whatever news comes up then I move on. But as mentioned earlier, around the time of the Matrix sequels there was news of Larry's divorce with hints of some sexual oddities (which is how I recall, not of my viewpoint). Then, some time later, I think around Speed Racer, or maybe even V, I recall he wanted to be referred to as Lana.

Here's an article I just googled up from 2009 which mentions the sex change - with pictures! (not that I could tell you how he looked before...)

http://www.zimbio.com/Larry+Wachowski/articles/4/Larry+Wachowski+sex+change+Lana

Here's another from 2007, with references to 2006 rumors:

http://rated-m.blogspot.com/2007/08/larry-wachowskis-sex-change-is-complete.html

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
montrealfilmguy said:
A title change to the thread ? you're serious ? If you click on the thread and read my first post,you will still find out what it's about ,maybe show interest or not.and switch threads total time:maybe 10 seconds. C'mon.
The whole point of having thread titles is so that readers don't have to click through and read the post to determine whether or not it interests them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Generic thread titles are an annoyance. A small detail of what the topic is about is preferred. I remember when this came to public knowledge. I read it, thought about it for two seconds and said, "so what" or "who cares" and went on to the the next thing. Saw the thread title, clicked in to see what it was about, said, meh old news. Wouldn't have clicked in if the title had a little but of detail included.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
but you fellas...keep...clicking...and not only that but take the time ..to write comments too....... and people go through entire forums and entire thread titles here,and enter comments and debate which means more comments entered and so on and so forth... Sorry guys,i can't get my head wrapped around this concept of saving a millisecond here and there. If i enter a title,mmm,.,,,let's say a famous film quote and the title is I need more cowbell,if you know it fine,but when you don't,it becomes vague and you either click or you don't. Maybe you'll think i'm being dense,but i still see it as a bit arbitrary. And actually the title was a question . To which i'd kinda like people to answer and not just as TonyD puts it,move on to the next thing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Then how about simple common courtesy for people cruising through the forum in regards to a topic that has a bit of detail? " Was I the last person to know Larry Wachowski is now a woman?" Think of it as a headline for an article.

CRyan

Screenwriter
montrealfilmguy said:
And in the view of great minds discussing ideas, i give you this.
Pretty lame video. I was impressed though he had a couple of intelligent people in it. Too bad his one silly question kept ruining it and proving over and over again he was the least intelligent person in the video. Otherwise, it would have been interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks