Was Einstein wrong?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lawson, Aug 8, 2002.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't think it should be viewed as Einstein being "wrong", any more than Einstein made Newton "wrong". As the article states,

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Nah, I don't think he was wrong. I think it's just that the more we learn, the more past theories must be 'tweaked'.

I suppose that if Einstein had the same information available to him back then that we have now, alot of theories and ideas would have been different.

I think that it would be irresponsible to treat all of his theories and ideas as 'gospel'. Sure, he was a smart guy but he based his opinions and theories on the information that was currently available to him.

Who knows, maybe 1000 years from now he will be considered a crackpot since all of his theories had been shot to hell.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I agree with Max and Robert. The development of Einsteinian physics did not mean that Newtonian models stopped working on the scale that we are accustomed to nor is Newton considered a crackpot today. Should our understanding of Einsteinian physics needs tweaking (and it very likely does - as we gain more observations our models must be refined), then it will be a tweak under certain very special conditions. It will certainly not mean throwing out all the text books and considering Einstein a kook.

Piss poor journalism is what this is.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Agreed--the first occurrence of the word "dogma" put me on edge. And I am loathe to criticize journalists and journalism, but this was one poorly written story cranked out by a badly informed writer.

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm not really sure any of us can discuss it adequately. I've read, studied, and lived the theory of relatively, and split atoms for a living for a time, and I don't think I have enough info in my head to discuss it intelligently.

But the concept of light traveling at a constant speed, regardless of the speed of the object emitting it, is something I could never REALLY wrap my brain around totally.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Somebody alert Dr. Joe to this thread. He's the only one who can probably make sense of what is trying to be said.[​IMG]
    Can anyone else?

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    This quote doesn’t make sense:

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    I thought that this "theory" about the slowing down of the speed of light has been around for about a year now. I know I have something about it in some notes from one of my classes (philosophy of science). Again, not sure about this point either, but didn't Dr. Hawking recently propose an explanation for this so-called slowing down in his Universe in a Nutshell book? I believe it had something to do with dark matter (of course) and its absorbtion of energy or something. Anyone confirm this?

cheers!

Josh

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

How the hell do I know?

/mike

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Um, I like pizza.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer