Warranty Replacement - TV or cash?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by -, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Guest

In 2006, I bought a Sony 50" KDS-R50XBR1 with a 4 year warranty. It's been a great TV, but it started displaying a greenish hue in the center of the screen. I called the repair service, the guy came out, and said the repair was going to cost over $1,000. The warranty company decided to replace it instead of fixing it. They are offering me two options:

1. A Mitsubishi WD-60735 DLP 60" 3D-Ready 1080p set, or any TV on Tigerdirect.com for $1,200 or less.

OR

2. A check for $1,100.

I'm a little reluctant to go with the DLP, but that may be purely based on bad or biased information. There's not much that's comparable to my Sony for $1,200 on tigerdirect, so I'm inclined to get the check for $1,100 and add a little money to that and buy an LCD.

That said, I don't have to have a slim TV, I have a TV stand that the Sony was on that has more than enough space for the Mits or anything else. Like I said, I'm not 100% opposed to the Mits, I'm just not sure how true the rumors are on costly and frequent repairs.

So, would you take the Mits, find something on tigerdirect for $1,200, or take the $1,100 and add another $300 or so and buy something else?

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Brian:

Welcome to the HTF!

Just an FYI, I closed your identical thread in the Beginner's section. Just one thread per topic, please.

I left this one here in the Display forum because I think there's a better chance for you to get answers from our in-house experts on displays.

Best of luck!

3. Guest

Sorry, I didn't see this forum when I first joined the site, and I didn't see my original post in the other forum, so I didn't think it was going to appear. Thanks for deleting the original in the other forum.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

No worries.

I'm sure you'll be getting all kinds of helpful suggestions here on what to do with your money!

We are very good with that kind of advice!

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    The XBR1 TV you have has a settled class action lawsuit against Sony. The XBR 2 as well I believe. Typically this defect is handled by Sony rather than the warranty company and I suggest you get in touch with them via Facebook. Just do a search. I had a XBR2 and they sent me another set... a 60" Bravia which at the time, was all the 60" sets they had (mine was a 60"). That retailed for 2500.00, which is far better than the deal you were offered. I ended up selling it anyway as I was not crazy for the set. I still have the XBR2, which is on its third optical block. When it goes bad (notice I said WHEN), I will donate it and get a new one... defintely not another Sony.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston