What's new

Warner's snapper cases: Is it just me???....... (1 Viewer)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
The main reason I hate snappers is how they stick out farther on my shelf than amarays and alphas. I can live with snappers, but at least make then the same width as alphas and amarays :angry: The OCD in me can't stand to look at the uneven look between the different formats.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I hate the snapper cases. They get gouged too easily, can bend too easily, are cheaply made, etc. Plus they don't look right with keepcases. I like my DVD collection to look nice and visually pleasing while on the shelf, and I can't do that due to the snappers and keepcases looking totally different.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I like my DVD collection to look nice and visually pleasing while on the shelf, and I can't do that due to the snappers and keepcases looking totally different
Unless you're sorting by studio... I have something of a High fidelity inspired mania to reorganize my collection once in a while (although usually when I run out of shelves ;) ) and reorganizing somehow appeals to my geeky nature I guess. The point is, by doing this the snappers look very good, and while I have experienced that the snappers get "caught" on each other, this is not a big problem for me, unless I try to fit in one DVD too much. Of course, after most of the studios now have redesigned their spines, Warners and Criterions spines are about the only consistent spines left, but that is another rant for another thread ;)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Since the first requirement I have for a case is to hold the DVD safely, I have to say the snapper surpasses the Amaray and its ilk. I have had a couple dozen Amarays arrive in the mail with "floaters" inside, and usually because one of the two flimsy prongs has snapped off. Maybe one snapper has had this problem.

I also hate whichever cases have the hub so tight you practically have to bend the DVD in half to get it off (and pressing on the center is ineffective.) JMO

Brett C

Second Unit
They look about as good as the money Warner invests in them. A whole 2 cents!!! And yes they damage very easily and I've had plenty come in the mail with smashed inner hubs..In my opinion its only down to one thing,spend very little and make a hell of a lot!!!!

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
They snapper cases do indeed looke cheap, but they do their job. I am, after all, paying for the disc; a suave looking case is just a bonus. I've never had a damaged disc as a result of a snapper and I've never recieved a damaged snapper because of shipping (I get almost all my discs through the mail). I also don't leave my discs laying out on the floor, I keep them nicely arranged and the snapper seem to hold up as well as the keep cases.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I also hate whichever cases have the hub so tight you practically have to bend the DVD in half to get it off (and pressing on the center is ineffective.) JMO
Larry,
I believe that the case you are talking about is called "Claws Of Death" or "Jaws Of Death". One of the two. I hate that one the most! It's EXTREMELY difficult to get the DVD out of one of those things, and the "teeth" ALWAYS break for no reason!!! :angry:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Regarding why no one seemed to complain about flimsy VHS packaging, someone wrote......
Back then that was the only game in town. They have improved the packaging.
Incorrect, about the VHS options anyway!
I have many VHS packed in the sturdier plastic cases.
So there WERE 2 options for VHS tapes....but most companies preferred the less-expensive paper sleeves.
When comparing VHS sleeves to snapper cardboard: Snappers are MUCH thicker and sturdier. I'm not familiar with LD packaging. Never owned one.
As for NOT purchasing a title in a snap-case ..... Just look at all the fantastic films you'll miss (simply because the disc is surrounded by cardboard rather than plastic)!! .......
JFK, The Fugitive, Contact, Shadowlands, LA Confidential, Perfect Storm, Twister, Executive Decision, Training Day, Superman, Heat, Lethal Weapon, Dirty Harry, Wizard Of Oz, Mister Roberts, The Maltese Falcon, Ben-Hur, A Star Is Born, A Bronx Tale, The American President, and The Matrix!
I can't imagine not having these great films in my collection (just because of packaging)! Can you?
Many of you fellow HTF'ers must agree.....Many of the above are "Must-Haves". In fact, several are regarded as some of the BEST DVDs yet produced (i.e. Superman, Matrix, Contact)!
It seems to me, an avid movie lover would be missing a great deal if they were to avoid the fine films above just in order to stand on the principle of AMARAYS OR NOTHING!
P.S. Let me not forget one of my all-time favorite scary movies (which just happens to be in a snapper with a nice additional fold-out panel). No case-restrictions should be put on this 1932 classic! ("Have a potato!" :)) ......
B00000ILEU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If a snapper could speak, it would reply to this thread ..... [rant]GET OFF MY CASE, GUYS!![/rant]
Snappers are OK with me!
Perhaps, just like Charlie Brown's anemic little Christmas tree, all they need is a little love. :)

MickB

Agent
The snappers stink!! They do not stack well with the keep cases and they are just a cheap flimsy excuse of a storage system. Check out dvdjournal.com in a editiorial from a few months ago they gave an example of how to convert snappers to keep cases. I have done that with all my snappers. I wish Warner would conform with the rest of the industry. All of the studios should elimate those annoying security seals.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Here I go again. :rolleyes:
I love the snappers.
True, I would like Warner to replace the cardboard by equally looking hardplastic, but it's not that important.
In one of the first posts in this thread, Walter Kittel has given about all the arguments I would like to bring forward too, so I'll refrain...
(And I occasionally had a few of those plastic holders damaged in the shipment, and the replacement was easier than anything I was used too!
Oh, and I have received many more damaged Amarays and the like - including those with broken hubs and free floating DVDs :angry:.)
Cees

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I'll have to disagree with the majority here... The difficulties replacing damaged snappers is a valid point IMO, but apart from that, I don't see much wrong about them.

Just like one or two of you, I think the artwork looks nicer on cardboard. This reminds me a little of LDs, while Amarays look more like VHS packaging to me. (Where I'm from VHS cases are generally very different from what I understand is most common in the US.)

I don't quite get this durability or wear issue either. If taken well care of, there is not much problem keeping any DVD case in nice shape. And taking care of one's collectibles is one of those things that collectors love to do, right?

James D S

Screenwriter
Here I go again...
...True, I would like Warner to replace the cardboard by equally looking hardplastic, but it's not that important.
Yet it is important enough for you to post in all the threads that deal with this issue. :)
Since we all have different ideas about what's important and what is not, big deal if someone wants to post that they dislike snappers. Obviously they are not the only one.
Venting is one of the primary functions of public forums. :)
As for me, I detest the little paper monstrosities. It is not as important as OAR, but so what - it's still important.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I have never refused to buy a movie because it comes in a snapper but I damn sure make a keepcase insert ASAP.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
the only way to watch the Deleted Scenes is through easter eggs
Well, that's a much better reason not to buy it than the packaging!
This argument is a lot more interesting than it used to be, at any rate. Now that I've been collecting for a few years, I see that the snapper hubs are indeed superior. I've never gotten a broken one, and I've gotten plenty of broken keepcase hubs. Also, the security stickers on the snappers peel off without ripping the artwork, unlike the keepcase stickers--if the cover is sticking out from the plastic, it will get ripped, and trying to peel off those godforsaken things always leaves a little dent in the clear plastic cover anyway! I don't see why they can't use those gummy-stickers like on the snappers.
On the other hand, keepcases do look much nicer on the shelf. My local library takes all its snappers, cuts the cardboard in half, and inserts the covers into a blank keepcase! Clever idea, but I'm sure that none of you guys will want to cut up your packaging, even if it's a snapper. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I want to know who among you snapper-despisers has refused to purchase this outstanding DVD, just because of the cardboard??!! You're missing a good one, kids!! (Pretty good-looking graphics, to boot!) :) ........
B000059Z8J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks