What's new

Warners Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 in March '07 (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
I think Volume 3 will consist of:

-Virginia City
-Silver River
-Uncertain Glory

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Ray_R:

Just to revisit that mis-alignment issue, here are a few captures from Elizabeth and Essex. The mis-aligned color begins in the first scene of the film, Essex's return to London in triumph. In this first shot, everything is lined up well, and it's a beautiful shot:

In the next shot, we see some halberdiers as Essex makes his way through a portal. The color in this shot is badly aligned:

In case it is difficult to see how badly the color lines up, here is a blow up of the halberdiers:

The odd thing is, the mis-aligned shots are consistent with specific camera angles. There are several shots of the halberdiers in the portal during Essex's march. Every time it cuts to that angle, the shot is misaligned. It is that way through the entire movie. You watch a scene, composed of various angles. Specific angles will consistently show the mis-aligned color. It's not like it's is bad for a certain # of feet of film.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
David B K, that's exactly what I noticed! It also happened as I was saying with certain angles on Dodge City too. Maybe they're mis-aligned because they weren't given the Ultra-Resolution process? It is a bit distracting though.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

Won't they release alot of his other films individually in the meantime? I hope they will.
When is Volume 3 supposed to be released? Much later in 2007?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Flynn was always underrated, but never moreso than his roles as a light comedian that made use of his self-deprecating humor. A trailer exists on FOUR'S A CROWD (with Olivia deHavilland and Rosalind Russell) and I second the suggestion for FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK, but most of all, I'd love to see Michael Curtiz's THE PERFECT SPECIMEN, which--to my knowledge--has never been shown on TCM. Does anyone know if a print still exists in the Turner library?

Danny Burk

Second Unit

Back in the 80s, it could be rented from Films, Inc. on 16mm, and I can't imagine that WB doesn't own 35mm material. I likewise don't remember that TCM has ever run it; perhaps some sort of rights problem has cropped up in the past 20-odd years?

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I was very happy with Vol. 1 and I'm looking forward to this one. I think I've only seen a few of these movies and I've enjoyed all of his movies that I've seen so far, Flynn is fast becoming one of my all time favourite actors. I love the Warner Night at the Movies features on their discs, too bad Dive Bomber doesn't have it.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Quote from Ron68

The number of classic films Flynn starred in from 1935 to 1949 is almost unprecedented. There are lots of stars who are remembered for 2 or 3 films, or even half a dozen. Flynn appeared in at least a dozen classics in that period. Amazing.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Which is the best version of Santa Fe Trail to buy on DVD?

Please vote for these Errol Flynn films to be released onto DVD at TCM.com (Links provided. The majority of these would make a great Volume 3 and/or individual releases. Alot of them have trailers to watch and any missing titles which I've left out please vote for them also.)

Green Light (1937)
Another Dawn (1937)
The Perfect Specimen (1937)
Virginia City (1940)
Footsteps in the Dark (1941)
Desperate Journey (1942)
Edge of Darkness (1943)
Northern Pursuit (1943)
San Antonio (1945)
Never Say Goodbye (1946)
Escape Me Never (1947)
Silver River (1948)
That Forsyte Woman (1949)
Montana (1950)
Rocky Mountain (1950)
Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)

Corey

Screenwriter

LMAO at a raymond burr set. if that's the case maybe they'll do a spring byington set.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

while we're at it, I'd like to see sets devoted to:

Priscilla Lane
Edward Arnold
Anne Shirley
Ruby Keeler
Ann Dvorak
Joan Blondell
Peter Lorre (starting with Three Strangers)

and

Frank McHugh (starting with Three Men on a Horse)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm still holding out for the Edna Mae Oliver Signature Collection myself.

And will someone please tell me why Allen Jenkins hasn't gotten his box set yet??

Charles H

Screenwriter
How about The Complete Byron Foulger and Bess Flowers in slim-cases?

(And I believe that THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN FABIAN (co-written by Flynn) is owned by Lions Gate via Republic...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks