What's new

Warners Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 in March '07 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From DVD Times:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection Volume 2 for 27th March 2007. Warner will debut five more all-time favourite films starring Errol Flynn – whose combination of natural athleticism and magnetic good looks made him one of the most popular and highly paid stars of the ‘30s and ‘40s. The Collection follows in the footsteps of the successful 2005 Volume One collection and offers yet another opportunity to experience Flynn as a soldier, boxer, pilot, swashbuckler, and always a star. The films included are Adventures of Don Juan, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Dive Bomber and Gentleman Jim.

Each DVD features adventurous extras such as director/historian commentaries, Oscar-nominated film shorts, classic cartoons and vintage newsreels. The titles will be priced individually at $19.97 SRP and Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection, Volume 2, a five-disc set, will be available for $49.92 SRP.

Adventures of Don Juan (1948) – Errol Flynn made his name portraying dashing heroes who clasped a sword in one hand and a maiden in the other. Audiences loved Flynn’s devil-may-care bravado as much as they admired his athletic grace and astonishing good looks. Filmed in glorious Technicolor, Adventures of Don Juan was Flynn’s first swashbuckler in eight years – and a glorious reprise it is, directed with gusto by Vincent Sherman. In the title role, Flynn is a wiser, warmer, wittier version of his earlier characters as he rescues the Spanish queen (Viveca Lindfors) from the snares of an evil duke. Oscar®-winning costumes and superb sets (including a knockout grand staircase) create a lavish atmosphere for dalliances with married beauties, narrow dungeon escapes and plenty of duels.

Special Features Include:
Commentary by director Vincent Sherman and historian Rudy Behlmer
Warner Night at the Movies 1948 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Joe McDoakes comedy short So You Want to Be on the Radio
Oscar-nominated travel short Calgary Stampede
Classic Looney Tunes cartoon Hare Splitter
Trailers of Adventures of Don Juan and 1948’s Silver River
Subtitles: English (Feature Film Only)

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) - Inspired by history and Tennyson’s poem (“Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred”), The Charge of the Light Brigade tells the tale of a band of British Lancers who challenge an army of 25,000 Russians. The film’s highlight: the charge itself, a masterful, pulse-pounding nine minutes of thundering hoofs and flashing sabers that stands up magnificently against any Hollywood action scene of today – and brought 1936’s Best Assistant Director Oscar® to Jack Sullivan for his staging of the vaunted sequence. Errol Flynn, fresh off his success as Captain Blood, stars as the leader of the 600 horsemen. Olivia de Havilland, his Captain Blood leading lady, co-stars. And legendary composer Max Steiner makes his Warner Bros. debut a memorable one with his stirring, heroic musical score.

Warner Night at the Movies 1936 Short Subjects Gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Oscar-winning drama short Give Me Liberty
Comedy short Shop Talk with Bob Hope
Classic cartoon Boom Boom
Trailers of The Charge of the Light Brigade and 1936’s Anthony Adverse
Subtitles: English (feature film only)

The Dawn Patrol (1938) – Errol Flynn and David Niven take to the skies in this thrilling aerial action yarn as World War I British flyboys who, whether quaffing down beers or gunning down their German foes, unite in devil-may-care gallantry and in disdain for their commander (Basil Rathbone). But war’s realities will soon tarnish their bonhomie and change their disdain to understanding. They will also become commanders, forced each dawn to send young poorly-trained recruits in patched-up aircraft to certain death. Its superior pacing, performances and style, combined with amazing dogfights above and a haunting indictment of war’s futility below, make The Dawn Patrol a soaring classic of guts and glory.

Warner Night at the Movies 1938 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Musical shorts The Prisoner of Swing and Romance Road
Classic Cartoon What Price Porky?
Trailers of The Dawn Patrol and 1938’s Four’s a Crowd
Subtitles: English & Español (feature film only)

Dive Bomber (1941) – Dive Bomber is a stirring, authentic Technicolor tale about getting ready for war. Flynn portrays a flight medical researcher and Fred MacMurray plays a squadron commander, flyboys who put differences aside and risk all to confront the problems of blackout-inducing G-forces and high-altitude sickness. Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) directs from a script co-written by aviation pioneer Frank “Spig” Wead (the biopic subject of John Wayne’s The Wings of Eagles). And destined for wartime greatness was the aircraft carrier seen in several scenes: the USS Enterprise, the nation’s most decorated World War II ship.

New Featurette Dive Bomber: Keep ’Em in the Air
Theatrical Trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

Gentleman Jim (1942) – In one of his biggest box-office hits, Errol Flynn portrays dapper James C. Corbett, whose style in and out of the ring helped bring acceptability to what had been an unsanctioned, back-room sport. The role was a Flynn favorite, and he rigorously schooled himself in the gliding footwork, deft jabbing, feinting and left-hooking that were Corbett trademarks. Raoul Walsh, director of seven Flynn films, balances bravura fisticuffs with family vignettes and flirtatious romance (Alexis Smith is Flynn’s co-star). And Ward Bond plays heavyweight champ, John L. Sullivan, a legendary ring king dethroned by the clever but tough “Gentleman Jim.”

Warner Night at the Movies 1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
Vintage Newsreel
Sports shorts Shoot Yourself Some Golf (with Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman) and The Right Timing
Classic Cartoon Foney Fables
Trailers of Gentleman Jim and 1942’s The Male Animal
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Show Adaptation with Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith and Ward Bond
Subtitles: English & Español (Feature Film Only)

Each DVD will be presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition. All are in Dual-Layer format.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I know know what I'm asking for my birthday! Although it falls on April 5th... Any word on whether or not these will be thinpak/slimline cases? I just purchased Volume 1 finally not too long ago for only $21.79 at Costco. Great price for a great lot of films.
Now I'll just hunt down his films on DVD which are already released individually. Such as:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Kim (1950)
The Master of Ballantrae (1953)
Objective, Burma! (1945)
The Prince and the Pauper (1937)

When I watched the documentary The Adventures of Errol Flynn, there were some film clips in there of his works of which I'd rather like to see. I'd gladly plunk money down for some finely (of course, it's Warners) done DVD's for the following titles. They are:

Northern Pursuit
Desperate Journey
Virginia City
Never Say Goodbye
Edge of Darkness

Perhaps these titles will be released for Volume 3. I'm guessing even eventually.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great news, though I could have done without Dive Bomber. It's an OK movie, but not a classic, IMO. Would have preferred something else. The others are must-haves. Don Juan will likely have stunning color. Charge of the Light Brigade has always been underrated, IMO.

Let's hope they avoid the color registration problems that plagued the earlier collection.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

I wondered why Dodge City looked a bit strange with it's colour in a few scenes. I didn't notice it as much when I watched it from the DVR before I bought the set.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The color problems in the first set were also noticable in Elizabeth and Essex. Watch the sequence of Essex's triumphal entry into London. There are some spectacular color shots, then an occasional shot in which the color is out of alignment, which sort of ruins the effect of the sequence. I was surprised there was not a re-do of both the color titles in that set. It's a pity to have such great technicolor alternating with the annoying non-aligned shots.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

Thanks for also pointing that out since I've only just gotten to Chapter 8 of Elizabeth and Essex. First time watching it and I'll continue it soon. The mis-alignment was noticable in several scenes of Dodge City and even in the short that accompanied it. Some angles in a particular scene while others where a tad "off". Other then that, it was fine. I think might be about the three-strip technicolour perhaps?
I wonder if it's any different or similar to The Adventures of Robin Hood. I think that was done with the Ultra Resolution process though but I'm unsure as I don't own the Two-Disc Special Edition yet.

Corey

Screenwriter
It looks like there will be an Olivia de Havilland set in the near future considering that trailers for Anthony Adverse, Four's A Crowd, and The Male Animal are found among these movies.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Adventures of Don Juan! Finally. :emoji_thumbsup:

Another great set of Flynn classics but I would have preferred either Desperate Journey, Objective Burma or Virginia City to Gentleman Jim, hopefully the next volume.

"Now for Australia and a crack at those Japs!" Famous last line from Desperate Journey (1942), an action packed, hugely enjoyable WWII yarn just begging to be released on DVD. And a few years later Flynn did have a "crack at those Japs" in Objective Burma (1945), which was banned in Britain.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I was kind hoping for "Desperate Journey" as well. In addition to being another great collaboration between Flynn and Raoul Walsh, it is probably the best Ronald Reagan performance in WB's vaults not yet released on DVD.

Regards,

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that Too Much Too Soon where Flynn plays John Barrymore would be in the collection. It's one of his best late performances (along with The Sun Also Rises rumored to be coming soon from Fox).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is good stuff! I loved Gentleman Jim! looking forward to this, all the others will be blind buys for me.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Sweet!...now I'll have The Dawn Patrol to go with my Blue Max, and Hell's Angels..WW1 flying goodness!!

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Warner has enough EXCELLENT Flynn films to create at least two more collections....so those disappointed with one or the other in V.2, will likely find their favorites in future collections.

For me personally, I think all five of these are Flynn at his best, and I especially cheer GENTLEMAN JIM, which is not only one of my favorites, but was also one of Flynn's, too!

As usual, another home run from the fine folks at Warner.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Would have been nice if WB could have included the original Dawn Patrol -- the one directed by Howard Hawks, adapted from a story (Flight Commander) by John Monk Saunders, and starring Richard Barthelmess and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. -- as an extra on the Flynn Dawn Patrol disc (or made it a two-disc set).

I have this on a truly horrific-looking tape and would love a decent version on DVD. For some reason Turner Classic Movies never runs it -- or if they have, I've missed it.

That said, I can't wait for this second box set to come out! Love Errol Flynn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, it would have been nice if Warner included the original Dawn Patrol as an extra. I've been waiting to see this version for years now and have been unsuccessful in doing so.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news! :emoji_thumbsup: All the titles are pretty much what I was hoping for.

Well maybe not Dive Bomber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks