What's new

Warner's Catalogue of Films not released on DVD in Region 1! (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Kudos, Crawdaddy!
That's an exhaustive list, chock full of titles I'd buy in a heartbeat. Those of us who are big fans of the "golden age" have definitely been short changed, perhaps because (the studios believe) there aren't enough of us.
But if all the titles you listed were released tomorrow, I'd be in line to pick up several dozen of them!
I thought of a few other titles as I was looking through your groupings, but I'm not sure they are controlled by Warner, so I won't list them here.
Good work, keep it up!
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
That list of classic titles just makes me glad my LD player is still working. What a pain to have to wait for them to be released again. Many of these have had nice transfers to LD and are sitting on my shelves just waiting to be replayed.
Considering how long it is taking to release classic black and white films on DVD, a good chunk of these titles will likely never make to DVD.
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Warner honestly doesn't believe a profit could be made from King Kong?
What is wrong with these people?
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane, I can't believe how many of this films I would like to watch again in DVD, specially film noir like "Mask of Demitrios" and "Out of the past", classics, how about adding Flynn's powerful "Edge of Darkness"(1943) this film's performances were all superb but for some reason I will never forget Helmut Dantine's performance as the German commander, just perfect. Common WB, what are you waiting for

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've just added the following to the thread and deleted "The Gauntlet". Please, keep those suggestions coming! Thank you.
  • Clash of the Titans
  • Love in the Afternoon
  • The Mummy and other Hammer films
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Wyatt Earp
Crawdaddy
------------------

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
TWO WORDS:
Errol Flynn (THE Man)
The rest of the Dirty Harry's.
Also, Battle of the Bulge.
Warner's catalog output could use a HUGE kick in the ass.
------------------

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Like people always like to say about Star Wars on DVD. Be patient they will release titles when they are ready. They probably don't want to blow their whole catalog out and then have only new releases to make money on. I would much rather wait and get quality over quantity anyday.
Kevin C. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quote"I seriously doubt we will ever see "The High and the Mighty" in any format again."
Ozzie,
To the best of my knowledge, the film was never released on any video format, however, from my conversations with a Warner representative, I do know the studio and Michael Wayne had discuss this film but they can't agree on the price.
Crawdaddy
------------------

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Dammit, I really want to own Where Eagles Dare and Time After Time on DVD!!!
(and about 100 others you mentioned)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
An impressive effort Crawdaddy! That so many great films are not available on dvd is a true tragedy.
Just look at those actors: Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, Bette Davis, James Cagney, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, and John Wayne -- all much more then mere stars, all true legends, veritable gods of Hollywood who the likes of Nicholson, Eastwood, Streep, Beatty, Close and others try to emulate as best they can.
It often saddens me that we have conversations here on HTF about "tough guys" and "action films" and the popular names are Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, Willis, and Gibson. Cagney, Robinson, Bogart, Wayne, and Flynn aren't even mentioned. This is, in part, because much of their best work is unavailable on dvd, as you've pointed out.
I'm sure movie fans who saw many of these movies on the big screen when they came out, would like to see them on dvd, as do a whole new audience of classic cinema. I know I do.
Thanks Crawdaddy!
------------------
"Go ahead, make my day!"
My DVD Collection

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought - I don't believe Warner is purposely holding most of these titles back because they believe they won't make a profit. I'd say most of them will. It's just that they don't need to right now. In a few years, when the big yet-to-be-released titles start dwindling, that's when Warner (and other studios) will start digging deeper into their catalogs. It's frustrating for the collector, but considering that it's boom-time these days in dvd-land and that all the mastering and production facilities are maxed out, it probably makes good business sense.
But they ought to release a few every now and again, just to keep us at bay.
------------------
You Can't Roller Skate In a Buffalo Herd - Roger Miller

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quote"Just a thought - I don't believe Warner is purposely holding most of these titles back because they believe they won't make a profit. I'd say most of them will. It's just that they don't need to right now. In a few years, when the big yet-to-be-released titles start dwindling, that's when Warner (and other studios) will start digging deeper into their catalogs. It's frustrating for the collector, but considering that it's boom-time these days in dvd-land and that all the mastering and production facilities are maxed out, it probably makes good business sense."
Alan,
There is definitely some fire to this smoke called not releasing classic films to dvd because they're not profitable. I've heard a studio executive with my own ears as some other members can attest to, that ROI is definitely taken in consideration when releasing films on dvd. Also, there is other evidence that I've heard from others that suggest Warner is holding back due to that particular reason.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Robert:
In the event I missed a particular discussion about this movie, I apologize: Giant.
I purchased a Region 1, anamorphic transfer (that I rate between The Sound of Music and North by Northwest), several weeks ago from an online video store (HMV) in Canada.
Don't ask why the studio decided to release such a great movie in CANADA before releasing it in the US, and then did so without even an official announcement.
I watched it again this past week - enjoyed every minute of of it, and it contains several excellent special features.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great post Robert. I couldn't have said it better (although I've tried to in other posts
wink.gif
) We really should start a petition campaign to let WARNER know that many of us are very interested in these classic films on DVD. Another thing is if WARNER is not interested in releasing these films then this would be a perfect opportunity for a company like IMAGE (who just cut it's license from UNIVERSAL) to have these films farmed out to them.
Also you could add the sci-fi/horror classic BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS to the list as it was Harryhausens first solo film and the first film to feature a giant dino on the rampage in a city. :)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
There are a small handful of erroneous titles in Robert Crawford's otherwise excellent list...
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, MOBY DICK and THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW are under United Artists' (thus MGM Home Entertainment) control, the earlier laserdisc editions prove this, as do current movie channel broadcasts. FORCE OF EVIL and the Gary Cooper/Fritz Lang version of CLOAK & DAGGER are property of Republic/Worldvision/Artisan (or now possibly Paramount, if Paramount owns the Republic/Worldvision catalog now), both were issued officially on VHS by Republic. THE HITCH-HIKER, if you mean the Ida Lupino-directed noir from 1953, was independently made by Lupino's "The Filmmakers" company, and originally released to theaters by United Artists...it later fell into quasi-public domain status and has since been released on DVD by both Roan Group/Troma and Kino.
Note: Warner also controls most films made by Monogram studios, and many (though not all) from Allied Artists (since Allied was bought by Lorimar, and Warner bought out Lorimar...a couple Allied Artists flicks released to DVD by Warner are FRIENDLY PERSUASION and the 1958 version of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL).
Some more additions to the Warner-controlled film list:
POINT BLANK (1967 MGM, Lee Marvin crime classic, directed by John "ZARDOZ" Boorman, his best film)
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956, originally a United Artists release, but Warner got it a long time ago)
THE HARD WAY (1942 WB, Ida Lupino)
STARS IN MY CROWN (1950 MGM, Joel McCrea in classic Americana, directed by Jacques "CAT PEOPLE, OUT OF THE PAST" Tourneur)
THE STRATTON STORY (1949 MGM, Jimmy Stewart, directed by Sam "PRIDE OF THE YANKEES" Wood)
CARBINE WILLIAMS (1953 MGM, Jimmy Stewart)
HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949 RKO, X-mas classic starring Robert Mitchum & Janet Leigh)
SOLDIER IN THE RAIN (1963 Allied Artists, Steve McQueen & Jackie Gleason)
ON BORROWED TIME (1939 MGM, Lionel Barrymore)
GOLD (1974 Allied Artists, adventure classic directed by Bond film editor/director Peter "OHMSS" Hunt and starring Roger Moore)
A BOY TEN FEET TALL (1963, a.k.a. "SAMMY GOING SOUTH" starring Edward G. Robinson, originally distributed by Paramount, this has somehow now become Warner property)
RAMPAGE (1963 WB, Robert Mitchum)
DARK OF THE SUN (1968 MGM, Rod Taylor & Jim Brown)
THE MAYOR OF HELL (1933 WB, Cagney)
THE GREAT MAN VOTES (1939 RKO, John Barrymore)
BACHELOR MOTHER (1939 RKO, Ginger Rogers & David Niven)
GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE (1933 MGM, Walter Huston)
THE NUN'S STORY (1959 WB, Audrey Hepburn, directed by Fred "HIGH NOON, THE SUNDOWNERS" Zinnemann)
Lon Chaney Sr. (all MGM):
THE UNKNOWN (1927)
THE UNHOLY THREE (1925 silent & 1930 talkie remake)
WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928)
TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1925)
HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924, the very first MGM film)
MR. WU (1927)
Silents (all MGM):
GREED (1925)
THE CROWD (1928)
THE WIND (1928)
SPITE MARRIAGE (1929, Buster Keaton)
William Powell & Myrna Loy (all MGM):
LOVE CRAZY (1941)
DOUBLE WEDDING (1937)
I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940)
ONE-WAY PASSAGE (1932 WB, Powell only)
Horror/Sci-Fi:
DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE (1932 MGM, originally a Paramount film that became MGM's property when MGM made the 1941 Tracy-Bergmann version)
THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (1967 MGM)
THE HAUNTING (1963 MGM)
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960 MGM)
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED (1963 MGM)
THE BLACK SCORPION (1957 WB)
THE GIANT BEHEMOTH (1959 Allied Artists)
THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929, MGM half-talkie/half silent version starring Lionel Barrymore)
THE LEOPARD MAN (1943 RKO, like CAT PEOPLE, a Val Lewton classic)
THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943 RKO, Lewton)
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (1944 RKO, Lewton)
GHOST SHIP (1943 RKO, Lewton)
ISLE OF THE DEAD (1943 RKO, Lewton)
BEDLAM (1946 RKO, Lewton)
THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939 WB, Bogart as a zombie
biggrin.gif
)
THE MAZE (1954 Allied Artists, directed by William Cameron Menzies)
PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE (1954 WB)
ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN (1958 Allied Artists)
MACABRE (1957 Allied Artists, Willam Castle flick)
WORLD WITHOUT END (1956 Allied Artists)
QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958 Allied Artists)
CONFESSIONS OF AN OPIUM EATER (1962 Allied Artists, a.k.a. "SOULS FOR SALE", starring Vincent Price)
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (1969 Hammer)
NO BLADE OF GRASS (1970 MGM, directed by Cornel "THE NAKED PREY, BEACH RED" Wilde)
TALES FROM THE CRYPT (1971 Amicus)
THE VAULT OF HORROR (1972 Amicus)
TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS (1973 Amicus)
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932 MGM, starring Boris Karloff)
THE FACE OF FU MANCHU (1965 Amicus, starring Christopher Lee)
THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU (1966 Amicus, Chris Lee)
THE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU (1967 Amicus, Chris Lee)
THE SATAN BUG (1965 MGM, directed by John "MAGNIFICENT 7, THE GREAT ESCAPE" Sturges)
THE POWER (1968 MGM, George Pal)
ATLANTIS THE LOST CONTINENT (1961 MGM, George Pal)
Noir:
HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951 RKO, Robert Mitchum & Jane Russell)
THE BIG STEAL (1949 RKO, Mitchum & Jane Greer, directed by Don "INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, DIRTY HARRY" Siegel)
MACAO (1952 RKO, Mitchum & Russell)
ANGEL FACE (1953 RKO, Mitchum & Jean Simmons)
THE NARROW MARGIN (1952 RKO, directed by Richard "FANTASTIC VOYAGE, Disney's TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES, THE VIKINGS, THE BOSTON STRANGLER" Fleischer)
ARMORED CAR ROBBERY (1950 RKO, Fleischer)
FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949 RKO, Fleischer)
THE CLAY PIGEON (1949 RKO, Fleischer)
TRAPPED (1949 RKO, Fleischer)
BODYGUARD (1948 RKO, Fleischer)
BORDER INCIDENT (MGM, directed by Anthony "SIDE STREET, NAKED SPUR" Mann)
CRIME WAVE (1954 WB, great noir by Andre "HOUSE OF WAX" de Toth, featured in Scorsese's PERSONAL JOURNEY THROUGH AMERICAN MOVIES documentary)
ACT OF VIOLENCE (1949 MGM, Robert Ryan & Van Heflin, directed by Fred "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, OKLAHOMA" Zinnemann)
THE THREAT (1949 RKO)
THREE STRANGERS (1946 WB, Peter Lorre & Sidney Greenstreet)
DEEP VALLEY (1947 WB, Ida Lupino)
THE MAN I LOVE (1946 WB, Ida Lupino)
SPLIT SECOND (1953 RKO, directed by actor/director Dick "THE ENEMY BELOW" Powell)
THE WHIP HAND (1951 RKO, directed by William "INVADERS FROM MARS, THINGS TO COME" Cameron Menzies)
DILLINGER (1945 Monogram, starring Laurence "BORN TO KILL, RESERVOIR DOGS" Tierney)
BETRAYED (1944 Monogram, a.k.a. "WHEN STRANGERS MARRY", directed by William Castle & starring Robert Mitchum and Kim Hunter)
A few miscellaneous British classics owned by Turner/Warner:
ALL AT SEA (1957 Ealing, a.k.a. "BARNACLE BILL", starring Alec Guinness)
HELL DRIVERS (1957, trucking crime/drama by director Cy "ZULU" Enfield, starring Stanley Baker, Patrick McGoohan, Herbert Lom, Sean Connery & David McCallum...photographed by Geoffrey "2001, SUPERMAN THE MOVIE" Unsworth)
THE PURSUIT OF THE GRAF SPEE (1956, a.k.a. "THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE", directed by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger "BLACK NARCISSUS, THE RED SHOES, I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING")
-Peter M Fitzgerald

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The Right Stuff
Thanks for a great thread, we must have a Errol Flynn boxset!
Don't forget the Elvis Presley movies, WB own his best work.
WB could produce an Elvis boxset, a decent profit on this me thinks!
------------------
You'll believe a DVD can fly!
Superman CINEMA
http://www.deceptions.net/superman

This is an excellent, excellent list that I hope catches the attention of our friends at Warner. Thanks also to Holden for mentioning The Yakuza, one of the most sublime and shamefully underrated movies ever made. I'd love to start a "Zardoz Online"-style website for The Yakuza, but do not have the time or web-authoring skill. But hey, all I really want is this wonderful film in anamorphic widescreen. Please Warner!

One other Warner-controlled title with a MAJOR cult following: Night of the Lepus. It would be so sweet to pop the DVD in and see a "giant" rabbit jump right into the camera while on the soundtrack hear: "Ladies and gentlemen, don't panic, but there is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way!" Then the Lepus-themed animated menus appear. It could even be a special edition. If Janet Leigh isn't available for an audio commentary, perhaps "Golden Turkey Awards" author Michael Medved could offer some insights. If all else fails, I have several friends who would be happy to record some merry sardonicism at no charge.
I hope that Warner will license this one to Anchor Bay if they don't want to do it themselves (or Criterion perhaps?). Check the imdb user comments . . . Night of the Lepus would fly off the shelves!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Impressive list, Robert. If I had only one to choose, I would have to go with Love In The Afternoon. What a great, charming film. Someday...that or Going In Style.
Also..who holds the rights to The Sorrow and The Pity?...that would be a great release.
Bruce
------------------
"Oh, I never take heavy hallucinagetics...I took a puff about five years ago and tried to take my pants off over my head."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks