Warner's BD-Live offers downloading alternative to streaming video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nicholas Martin, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Popped in "The Dark Knight" tonight to see if any new extra content had been added, and there's a new bonus:

Turns out Warner has added a "WB Media Manager" feature, which allows the user to download the videos to the player's hard drive (if applicable, of course) in addition to simply streaming the video. This might be an alternative created because of the constant buffering problems with the streaming.

I downloaded the three behind-the-scenes featurettes (two on the score, the other on the sounds of the BatPod) and they play without being a small window on the screen like before. They now fill it like a regular video would.

2. IshantNidhi

IshantNidhi Auditioning

Popped in The Dark Knight tonight to see if any new

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    This is certainly welcome news! I hate the way BD-Live was implemented on Warner discs prior to this. I always felt like I was watching a poor quality, stuttering YouTube video in a small window on a HD display. I reached the point where I no longer accessed BD-Live content at all on Warner discs. Thanks for the "heads-up." I'll have to check it out.

4. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

I don't know about stand-alone players, but the PS3 stores the downloaded content in its BD Data Utility, under "Shared Cache Data".

You can't do anything with it other than find out the file information or delete it, just like other downloadable content from Sony's BD-Live or others.

5. Jonathon M

Jonathon M Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon
    Nicholas,

I haven't seen the "Media Manager" option in the TDK BD-live menu. Can you more specifically describe where it is/how to use it?

EDIT: I just reloaded the disc, and it's now there!

6. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Ah, good. Hopefully they've managed to fix their stuff so that I can actually register now.