What's new

Warner - When are we getting GOODBYE MR CHIPS? (1 Viewer)

L BENDER

Agent
Real Name
larry
Warner talked about releasing GOODBYE MR CHIPS [1969] sometime in 2008. I am beginning to think its not coming out this year. I hope I am wrong.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
LOVE to see this likeable (although forgotten) little musical picked up for dvd. Commentary and interviews by Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark certainly wouldn't hurt its cause.

P.S.--good thing they didn't marry--she'd now be Petula O'Toole...

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Shot in 70Mm it should look great on DVD. Don't know what happened looked like a 2008 release according to the last chat. This "The Boy friend" and "the Devils" are the only titles I've been waiting for from WHV

L BENDER

Agent
Real Name
larry
GOODBYE MR CHIPS was not filmed in 70mm. It is a 35mm blowup to 70mm. I saw it in its roadshow engagment in 1969.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

My guess is that the sales numbers won't be very high so the release may not come out. Wasn't it anounced that Warners was releasing a musical promotion in the 3rd quarter? Maybe more than just "American in Paris" and "Gigi"??? Wasn't "Gypsy" to be re-released as part of a Natalie Wood set? Also, wasn't there going to be a second Busby Berkley Box set??

I have a feeling Bluray has changed a lot of the marketing plans for 2008 & 2009 at all the Studios now that HD has lost the the format race

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The Busby Berkley Collection Volume 2 is due September 18 and I am looking forward to it. I also asked the question recently about the progress of the Natalie Wood Collection with “Gypsy” and no one had any ideas. It was just put out there without a date along with a Warner’s Home Front Musical Collection. I am in a ready state for “Goodbye Mr. Chips” (1968). I enjoyed the film when it was originally released (I was a youngster and saw the road show) and still enjoy my laserdisc copy of the film. Here is hoping that it comes out soon.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
A few years ago when Film Score Monthly produced its lavish multi-disc soundtrack restoration of GOODBYE MR CHIPS, I had hopes that the dvd would soon follow....and still we wait.

While I have always seen what critics mean when they say that it is somewhat overblown, and misses some of the intimacy of the original....I also know that it is beautifully acted, has some gorgeous music and photography, and that Terrance Rattigan's script has much to recommend.
Everyone should see Peter O' Toole in this...a marvelous performance, that is touching and less broad than other actors who played this character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks