What's new

Warner to Release Ryan's Daughter Two- Disc SE and.......... Feb 7th, '06. (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
From a Warner Brothers Press Release:
--------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

Ryan’s Daughter

First time on DVD for Epic Masterpiece from David Lean

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

"The most erotic serious film since Last Tango in Paris" based on acclaimed author Milan Kundera’s # 1 Best Seller

Both Arrive February 7 in Two-Disc Special Editions Loaded with Bonus Content, Including New Commentaries, Documentaries, Vintage Shorts and More

BURBANK, Calif., October 24, 2005 – On February 7, 2006, Warner Home Video (WHV) celebrates Valentine’s Day with the DVD debut of David Lean’s epic love story, Ryan’s Daughter featuring a new digital transfer from the restored 65mm picture and a remastered soundtrack. Joining is another romantic classic, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Philip Kaufman’s lyrical film based on the landmark New York Times #1 best- seller by Milan Kundera, said to have been a contender for this year’s Nobel Prize. Both are being released as Two-Disc Special Editions with commentaries, documentaries, vintage shorts, newsreels and other bonus extras.

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc Special Edition (the movie stars Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles and John Mills) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc Special Edition (stars Daniel Day-Lewis and Juliette Binoche) will each be available for $26.99 SRP/ $19.95 MAP.

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc Special Edition DVD (1970)

An epic tale of forbidden romance, Ryan’s Daughter stars Sarah Miles as Rosy Ryan, a lovely, headstrong Irish lass who cannot forsake her passionate romance with a handsome British officer (Christopher Jones). When her illicit affair leads to a charge of treason, it is the devotion of her reserved schoolteacher husband Charles (Robert Mitchum) that proves to be the greater love. Academy Award®-winning director David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago) and screenwriter Robert Bolt frame this brooding romance set during the 1916 Irish Rebellion and within the expansive beaches, craggy cliffs and heathered hills of Ireland’s Dingle Peninsula. Freddie Young’s lush cinematography and John Mills’ memorable portrayal of the town simpleton won Academy Awards.

Special features include:

The Making of Ryan’s Daughter: A Three-Part 35th-Anniversary Documentary
Storm Rising
Storm Chaser
The Eye of the Storm
Two vintage documentaries
Ryan’s Daughter: A Story of Love
We’re the Last of the Traveling Circuses
Commentary by cast, crew, biographers, current directors as well as Lean’s and
Mitchum’s families
New digital transfer from restored 65mm picture and audio elements
Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
Theatrical trailers
Languages: English & French
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc Special Edition DVD (1988)

A young doctor’s quest for sex and his stumbling into love in Prague, circa 1968, are part of the rich storyline of this sensual film based on the novel by the Czech novelist Milan Kundera. Produced by Saul Zaentz (The English Patient, Amadeus) and directed by Philip Kaufman (The Right Stuff, Henry & June), The Unbearable Lightness of Being stars Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs of New York, My Left Foot) as the doctor, with Lena Olin (TV’s Alias) as Sabina and Juliette Binoche (Chocolat, The English Patient) as Tereza completing the romantic triangle at the center of his world.

Special features include:

· Commentary by director/screenwriter Philip Kaufman, screenwriter
Jean-Claude Carriere, co-star Lena Olin and editor Walter Murch

· Emotional History: The Making of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

· Theatrical Trailer

· Languages: English & French

· Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)

Valentine’s Day 2006 DVDs

Pricing: Each Two-Disc DVD $26.99 SRP/$19.95 MAP

Street Date: February 7, 2006

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc S.E.

Rating: NR

Run Time: 106 minutes

Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc S.E.

Rating: R

Run Time: 114 Minutes

Jo_C

Second Unit
I thought MGM had rights to this. If indeed Warner now has it, I think it's on the merit that Warner also owns most of Saul Zaentz's theatrical library (which includes the original animated "Lord Of The Rings" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest").

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

I hope one of these doc. is "David Lean - A Self Portrait". This documentary, which runs about 45 minutes, was made during the post production of "RD" and shows a lot of interesting footage of the film crew on location in Ireland. Lean's interview was filmed in his cutting room at Pinewood.

Besides the MGM box set, there only remains to be released a documentary that was made in Tahiti by Lean called "Lost and Found" about the discovey of Captain Cook's anchor. This documentary was made around 1978 when Lean and Robert Bolt were collaborating on a screenplay, of a remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty", in Bora-Bora.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I don't understand how Warner ended up with Unbearable Lightness Of Being and how they were able to get the Criterion commentary when they refuse to license any of their films to Criterion.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If WB is continuing to pick up movies from Saul Zaentz, I really hope this means DVD releases for AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD, THREE WARRIORS, and most importantly, Daryl Duke's PAYDAY, featuring one of the greatest Rip Torn performances ever.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

Ditto. Lean's my very favorite director and I'm rather shocked (and pleased) that even his most disastrous production could become an elegant special edition DVD.

I really would like to see more, too. I'll buy every last one!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

My best guess is that Saul Zaentz has always owned the film, but distribution contracts alternated. Likely, Orion had distribution for a while, then licensed it to Criterion. When all Orion-Criterion DVD's go OOP, MGM picks up the Orion contract. In 2005, the contract expires and Saul Zaentz re-releases it through WB since he does so with the rest of his films.

As for the commentary, perhaps Saul Zaentz had the clout to get it licensed for the DVD. Perhaps WB did trade a film or two for it.

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
I'm so glad that RYAN'S DAUGHTER is finally making it's way to DVD! Next to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and OLIVER TWIST, they're my favourite Lean films. The love scene in the forest is one of the most beautiful (not to mention, erotic) pieces of filmmaking ever!

Cheers!
Harry

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
RYAN'S DAUGHTER on Feb. 7th - not too long a wait to see and hear the greatest storm sequence ever captured on film. Some people consider this movie David Lean's folly, but I love every minute of it. Robert Mitchum is brilliant playing completely against type and Trevor Howard gives his best performance. And thanks to Freddie Young, Ireland has never been photographed more beautifully.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great news! We knew that Ryan's Daughter was on the cards and I expected an early 2006 release, but I am still delighted to see this finally announced.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being from Warner? That's a surprise! I tried to get a legit (non-bootleg) copy of the Criterion DVD early this year, but gave up as the prices were too high, so this is stupendous news.

As to Criterion licensing the commentary, don't forget that MGM bagged the commentary for Raging Bull without Criterion releasing any MGM-owned material so far, so don't expect a Criterion edition of a Warner film any time soon. If Criterion are licensing the tracks for cash, then let's see an all-new 2-disc Superbit SE of Taxi Driver with the Criterion commentary, featuring Scorsese and Schrader. The same goes for Midnight Cowboy - the Criterion Laserdisc featured a Schlesinger (and the producer, whose name I forget) commentary. There are a lot more candidates, but the Criterion commentaries that feature a deceased director are obviously irreplaceable and what good does it do Criterion to have them languishing on the shelf?

So, does February 7th see the Peckinpah box, plus these 2-disc SEs? Blimey!

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Vincent-P wrote:

The Criterion releases of Short Cuts and My Own Private Idaho are licensed from New Line IIRC. Perhaps that isn't the same as being directly from WB but they are the same corporate ownership (Time Warner) I believe. If I'm wrong on any of this I'm sure someone will correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks