What's new

Warner to Distribute Goldwyn Library on DVD (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Thanks for explaining that. It puts everything in perspective as to why MGM neglected this Golden Goldwyn library. The long out of print Goldwyn Dvds went out through HBO. (WALTER MITTY..WUTHERING..THE HURRICANE)..Was this a seperate leasing agreement?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd#post_3912212
Thanks for explaining that. It puts everything in perspective as to why MGM neglected this Golden Goldwyn library. The long out of print Goldwyn Dvds went out through HBO. (WALTER MITTY..WUTHERING..THE HURRICANE)..Was this a seperate leasing agreement?
MGM really did a lot with about half of the library. I have many the of MGM DVD's of many of the titles, but when the DVD market went bust about six years ago they just left it alone. I also have a few of the HBO DVDs and Image Laserdiscs from the early years before MGM took possession of the titles. I was always disappointed that the Eddie Cantor titles never came out on DVD, except for a few in that Fox box set that cost a fortune. Even if they come out through WAC I will be happy.

Samuel Goldwyn Jr did have an agreement with HBO before their sell to Metromedia.

There has been a lot of confusion about the two libraries. The Goldwyn family owned many of the the Samuel Goldwyn Sr. titles and after his death, the family, headed by Samuel Goldwyn Jr pursued purchasing the rights to many other Goldwyn titles from UA and other film companies. These titles, including Porgy and Bess always remained in the Family Trust. Goldwyn Jr started his own distribution company in 1979 and it was a in all definition a specialty unit. He was very successful and ended up buying Landmark Theatres to give him an outlet for these titles. The theatre chain went along with the distribution company to Metromedia/Orion to MGM. MGM ran the circuit for a few years and ended up selling it to its executives then it went to Mark Cuban where it now resides. All of the film Goldwyn Jr owned in his company went to Metromedia then to MGM. The family owned films went along as a separate deal. And now they are free, free, free at last. There has even been a very reliable source that has said Porgy and Bess are also part of this deal. I hope so.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
All very informative. Mark Cuban is a smart dude.
Arent the Metromedia titles now with Fox? The Norliss Tapes, Tales From the Crypt, Chosen Survivors and they recently aired the tv movie Hurricane with Larry Hagman ON FMC.
I would imagine the Kayes, Cantors and especially Porgy and Bess were the jewels i the crown for WB. Guys and Dolls was treated wll by MGM esp the deluxe disc-but it's ot a must have for me. I have most of the HBO discs -Wuthering, Hurricane and others. Ironically, they WOULD have been B releases thru the HBO association.
Stevie and Zero to Sixty still seem to reside wih MGM . Funny they were both also First Artists releases -which wereusually WB

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't think much of the two-disc set of Guys and Dolls on DVD. The full aspect ratio was not respected (as I recall, the sides were shaved), and the color was very flat and rather lackluster (seems like it was kind of brown, too). It was sharp, and, unlike the first DVD release, anamorphic, but I hope Warners does a much better job with it if they take it to Blu-ray.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
A previous post mentioned that PORGY AND BESS is missing from this list. I have recently read that both the Goldwyn and Gershwin estates have released their long standing block on this title and that we might get a dvd or blu ray eventually. Has anyone heard any updates about this?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
I didn't think much of the two-disc set of Guys and Dolls on DVD. The full aspect ratio was not respected (as I recall, the sides were shaved), and the color was very flat and rather lackluster (seems like it was kind of brown, too). It was sharp, and, unlike the first DVD release, anamorphic, but I hope Warners does a much better job with it if they take it to Blu-ray.
You forgot to mention on how it was distorted, appearing stretched horizontally. I would think a new HD master would be created, but who knows.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Chuck Pennington said:
/t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd#post_3912366
A previous post mentioned that PORGY AND BESS is missing from this list. I have recently read that both the Goldwyn and Gershwin estates have released their long standing block on this title and that we might get a dvd or blu ray eventually. Has anyone heard any updates about this?
Post #7 by Bob Cashill states that PORGY and BESS has been "cleared for takeoff." Knowing Mr. Cashill's background, this can be considered a fact.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
This is great news. If we're lucky perhaps the Gershwin estate can be persuaded to also stop blocking release of the Porgy and Bess soundtrack recording.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Here is WAC's response on their Facebook page concerning a question on what their plans are for the Goldwyn titles:

Warner Archive Collection

It's far too early for us to provide any specifics regarding the company's plans for the GOLDWYN library, as the deal (which includes over 70 features ) was just signed and many different ideas are under discussion. We plan to make as much ...of this fine library available to the public as possible, with the WAC focus aiming at the rarer, more collector-oriented films. More will be revealed in the coming months, and we are hopeful that film fans wlll be pleased with our efforts.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the PORGY AND BESS update. As for the soundtrack, it can be bought on some European cd labels. I bought a copy a few years back. I want to say it was the German Columbia label. Sound quality is pretty good. I still have the lp which I bought back in 1971.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
That German edition of the soundtrack to Porgy and Bess is no longer available. There is a cd of the soundtrack available that has been issued by Hallmark, but according to all the customer reviews I have read the quality is abysmal and it is best avoided.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robin9 said:
THE ADVENTURES OF MARCO POLO
ARROWSMITH
THE AWAKENING
BALL OF FIRE
BARBARY COAST
BELOVED ENEMY
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
THE BISHOP’S WIFE
BULLDOG DRUMMOND
COME AND GET IT
CONDEMNED
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY
CYNARA
CYTHEREA
DARK ANGEL
DEAD END
THE DEVIL DANCER
THE DEVIL TO PAY!
DODSWORTH
EDGE OF DOOM
ENCHANTMENT
THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES
GUYS AND DOLLS
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN
HIS SUPREME MOMENT
IN HOLLYWOOD WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
I WANT YOU
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN
THE KID FROM SPAIN
KID MILLIONS
THE LITTLE FOXES
THE MAGIC FLAME
THE MASQUERADER
MY FOOLISH HEART
NANA
THE NIGHT OF LOVE
ONE HEAVENLY NIGHT
OUR VERY OWN
PALMY DAYS
PARTNERS AGAIN, WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
POTASH AND PERLMUTTER
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE
RAFFLES
RAFFLES (1930)
THE REAL GLORY
THE RESCUE
ROMAN SCANDALS
ROSEANNA MCCOY
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
SECRETS
A SONG IS BORN
SPLENDOR
STELLA DALLAS
STELLA DALLAS (1925)
STRIKE ME PINK
TARNISH
THESE THREE
THEY GOT ME COVERED
THEY SHALL HAVE MUSIC
A THIEF IN PARADISE
THIS IS HEAVEN
TWO LOVERS
THE UNHOLY GARDEN
UP IN ARMS
WE LIVE AGAIN
THE WEDDING NIGHT
THE WESTERNER
WHOOPEE!
THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH
WOMAN CHASES MAN
WONDER MAN
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
Are these titles definitely included in the deal? It would be great to get Wuthering Heights and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod /t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd#post_3912642
Thanks for the PORGY AND BESS update. As for the soundtrack, it can be bought on some European cd labels. I bought a copy a few years back. I want to say it was the German Columbia label. Sound quality is pretty good. I still have the lp which I bought back in 1971.
I believe the one I have is from Germany. It has wonderful sound, I think.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hard to say if these will be MOD. Some big ones probably won't and there are "only" 74 titles in the library. Still, its essentially a save since MGM did nothing with this library for years.
And this means the two Eddie Cantors in the 50 Musical Films box get may finally get a sensible release, along with finally making available those long OOP HBO released titles
ahollis said:
Warner has the Samuel Goldwyn Library and Olive now has control over many Republic titles.  This is a good year.  Looking forward to the Eddie Cantor films from the WAC.  A Blu of Guys and Dolls and Best Years Of Our Lives will be welcomed if they come about. 
Yes, two saves within a month. Those two have been utterly ignored for years and probably the most glaringly so. Now we just need Hal Roach.
Here is WAC's response on their Facebook page concerning a question on what their plans are for the Goldwyn titles:
Warner Archive Collection
It's far too early for us to provide any specifics regarding the company's plans for the GOLDWYN library, as the deal (which includes over 70 features ) was just signed and many different ideas are under discussion. We plan to make as much ...of this fine library available to the public as possible, with the WAC focus aiming at the rarer, more collector-oriented films. More will be revealed in the coming months, and we are hopeful that film fans wlll be pleased with our efforts.
Makes the most sense, especially in terms of some of the most obscure silents. Hopefully Cantor gets his own long-overdue boxed set.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Here is yet another example of something you've taken for granted all of your life, which you now find out has been unavailable for years. I've still got the Porgy and Bess soundtrack LP, in excellent condition, and a few years ago I found the Columbia reel-to-reel 4-track tape in a thrift store for $1. Both original label, both gorgeous. This film was my introduction to Gershwin as a child, and half a century later I still thrill to these renditions, and more. I'll be first in line for the eventual (and hopefully deluxe Blu-ray) release.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
While a deluxe Porgy and Bess would be nice, this is the same company that put out The Magnificent Ambersons as a bare-bones bonus SD disc. I would consider adjusting expectations accordingly.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd/30#post_3912902
Here is yet another example of something you've taken for granted all of your life, which you now find out has been unavailable for years. I've still got the Porgy and Bess soundtrack LP, in excellent condition, and a few years ago I found the Columbia reel-to-reel 4-track tape in a thrift store for $1. Both original label, both gorgeous. This film was my introduction to Gershwin as a child, and half a century later I still thrill to these renditions, and more. I'll be first in line for the eventual (and hopefully deluxe Blu-ray) release.
Indeed. When I want to listen to Porgy and Bess, this recording is the one I inevitably go to rather than other recordings of the score.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Louis Letizia said:
All very informative. Mark Cuban is a smart dude.
Arent the Metromedia titles now with Fox? The Norliss Tapes, Tales From the Crypt, Chosen Survivors and they recently aired the tv movie Hurricane with Larry Hagman ON FMC.
Stevie and Zero to Sixty still seem to reside wih MGM . Funny they were both also First Artists releases -which wereusually WB
Two different Metromedias. The first one you mention is Metromedia Producers Corporation, '70's-era production/syndication outfit and owner of 7 TV stations (including my old favorite, WXIX-19 in Cincinnati) that made the movies you listed, but probably best known for producing "THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW" for years after he left CBS. The last thing MPC did was Alan Thicke's ill-fated late-night talk show "THICKE OF THE NIGHT" in conjunction with Intermedia Productions and MGM. When Barry Diller bought 20th Century-Fox, he also bought MPC and their TV stations and used that as a partial skeleton to build what became the Fox network; thus all their assets went there.
The other Metromedia was just a sort of stock and holding company owned by billionaire John Kluge; they also had TV and movie interests but no direct ties to the previous MPC. Kluge came in as Orion's savior at the 11th hour as they were going bankrupt again the '90's after a brief rebound, and merged them with Jonathan Krane's bankrupt MCEG Sterling company, with whom Kluge had invested to produce minor failed films like CHAINS OF GOLD with John Travolta and Sandra Bernhard's WITHOUT YOU I'M NOTHING. The merger with The Samuel Goldwyn Company came in '95, and lasted for about 2 years until Kluge sold all the movie assets to MGM in '97 as Allen described earlier.
As for STEVIE and ZERO TO SIXTY, I can't be certain, but I think Samuel Goldwyn inherited them from buying Atlanta-based distributor The International Picture Show, which also gave them the rights to THE BILLION DOLLAR HOBO, THEY WENT THAT-A-WAY AND THAT-A-WAY, and the infamous Ovidio Assonitis production THE VISITOR. MGM lost the latter, but retained the previous two Tim Conway movies.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Fascinating trajectory.
I would assume thru its International Picture Show aquisition MGM also owns The Magic of Lassie-curiously MIA throughout the digital disc era.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news. I've been wanting the 5 Danny Kaye Goldwyn films for awhile since I never did upgrade my Laserdiscs when these were available previously. Ball of Fire, Best Years of our Lives and Dead End are all great titles I'm interested in as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks