Warner to buy MGM rumors: if so, how will this effect DVD releases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AlanBrom, Dec 23, 2003.

1. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

There have been rumors on newswires that Warner might merge with MGM, basically taking on their 4,000 title film library. How will this effect MGM's vast production? I hope this does not mean goodbye to the Midnite Movies, World Films, Soul Cinema and other dvd lines that we so treasure.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I look at it this way.....

If Warner was put in control of the MGM library
    we would hopefully see the end of "pan and scan"
    only releases, TRUE restorations on some of their
    most classic releases, and hopefully an interest
    in doing justice to It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I'm not saying that as they stand now MGM is
    the worst DVD company out there --- but you must
    admit that they have made a lot of unpopular
    decisions regarding the release of their library
    to DVD.

Warner, on the othe other hand, has done nothing
    but put extra effort into most ALL their releases.

A merge would probably be welcomed under the right
    circumstances.

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Ron, I gotta agree there. Warner has been nothing but magnificent with their DVDs, OAR even re-issuing old MAR discs like "Vacation", etc) and those lovely 2 disc sets.

If Warner took over MGM's library, we'd definitely get every movie in OAR.

Now the only downside would be this...would Warner be caught dead releasing "Troll" and "Troll 2"? In other words, MGM has released a LOT of B grade films on DVD that most studios would likely ignore. Warner has been pretty fussy on releasing their own catalog on DVD, adding a few thousand more would create a huge backlog that might take years to get through.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Michael,

All of this is of course speculation based on
    a mere rumor.

However, let's entertain it.

I would hope that if MGM merges with
    Warner, that the video division would be expanded
    to handle the amount of releases from both
    studios.

5. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I also agree with Ron that the positives of MGM being acquired by Warner far outweigh any potential negatives. For example, Warner hasn't had an issue anamorphically enhancing their 1.66:1 releases -- MGM for some reason refuses to do so. (Note - I'm still hoping against hope that they don't release the upcoming Bergman films as 1.66:1 flat DVDs...)

Plus, Warner hasn't been using recycled LaserDisc transfers in years. MGM has been doing so even recently.

-greg

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    MGM releases films that are NC-17 or Unrated, like Paul Verhoeven's Spetters and Flesh+Blood.

Warner has a policy of NOT releasing NC-17. There are numerous films that will never see the light of day because of this.

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    If MGM is aquired by Warner, I would think that there would be far fewer releases from MGM's catalogue. But there would be far more DVD's in snappers. I would not want that. I wish they would just eraticate them.

8. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Goodbye DTS and hello annoying snap cases. Bad combination from Warner Bros. Why couldn't the New Line division pick it up instead? Same damn company! LOL [​IMG]

9. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I believe the companies would stay as separately managed entities, ala Rhino and New Line which are also Time-Warner owned but run unto themselves...Hence New Line's openness at using DTS and releasing unrated titles, something Warner will not do...

Same parent company...very different internal policies.

Though Turner's desire to own all MGM stamped titles may cause some shuffling around of titles.

As for Mad World, a reliable source (and it was not Robert Harris) reports that in striking that new 70mm print for the Cinerama dome, MGM essentially ruined the original negative making a restoration now totally impossible.

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

[​IMG]

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

I hope it's not true... if it is, whoever approved doing that should be hanged.

The negative wasn't even supposed to be in bad condition and could have been used for the restoration (unlike The Alamo...its negative is supposedly useless).

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Actually, that's not right. Both Warner and MGM refuse to do 1.66:1 anamorphic releases. See, for example, Warner's non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer on the 2-disc SE of Giant, as well as the non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers in the Stanley Kubrick collection.

DJ

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Well if Warner does come into control of the MGM library, they better not discontinue the Midnite Movie DVD line!

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

This concerns me greatly. Also I don't think that rampant mergers are a good thing -- choice is good, and MGM has been doing a lot of good work lately.

Ted

15. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

one other *possible* problem.
    sometimes when a parent company puts out big capital to buy an underling, they have to cut budgets to save up some operating cash-which could mean cutting staff and even number of releases, at either WB, MGM, or both.
    I am mostly happy with MGM, and they seem to be forging their own identity in the marketplace.....let us hope this will only enhance things for them.

Right now I rate them above Artisan and Columbia....

16. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Warner Home Video used to have distribution rights for MGM Home Video.

In fact many of the original DVDs from MGM Home Video said in the fine print, distributed by Warner Home Video.

17. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

this could go either way with warner having negative effects like censoring unrated/nc-17 titles and no DTS. It could be good becuse warner recently is taking pride in doing great eitions of catalog titles(casablanca,robin hood,etc.)

18. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Harminder and Matt_H with regards to DTS. And I believe that Warner doesn't seem to do the snap cases anymore. The Matrix Revolutions and Terminator 3 prove that to me. And I believe that the contract ran out on the snap cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

19. Chuck Halverson

Chuck Halverson Auditioning

One good thing, Lets not forget about MGM and Turner having alot of the 30's and 40's Warner Brothers Cartoons. The best ones in my book. I cant wait till they start releasing Bob Clampetts cartoons. He is my favorite Looney Tunes Director.

20. Aaron_H

Aaron_H Agent

Aaron

I would love to say the snappers are gone. But I just saw "Alex & Emma" (released 12/23/03) in the store the other day and it's in a snapper case.

I believe the only reason Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded are not in snappers is because they were 2 disc dvd sets.

But I do hope the snappers die really soon...[​IMG]