What's new

Warner to buy MGM rumors: if so, how will this effect DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
There have been rumors on newswires that Warner might merge with MGM, basically taking on their 4,000 title film library. How will this effect MGM's vast production? I hope this does not mean goodbye to the Midnite Movies, World Films, Soul Cinema and other dvd lines that we so treasure.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I look at it this way.....

If Warner was put in control of the MGM library
we would hopefully see the end of "pan and scan"
only releases, TRUE restorations on some of their
most classic releases, and hopefully an interest
in doing justice to It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I'm not saying that as they stand now MGM is
the worst DVD company out there --- but you must
admit that they have made a lot of unpopular
decisions regarding the release of their library
to DVD.

Warner, on the othe other hand, has done nothing
but put extra effort into most ALL their releases.

A merge would probably be welcomed under the right
circumstances.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron, I gotta agree there. Warner has been nothing but magnificent with their DVDs, OAR even re-issuing old MAR discs like "Vacation", etc) and those lovely 2 disc sets.

If Warner took over MGM's library, we'd definitely get every movie in OAR.

Now the only downside would be this...would Warner be caught dead releasing "Troll" and "Troll 2"? In other words, MGM has released a LOT of B grade films on DVD that most studios would likely ignore. Warner has been pretty fussy on releasing their own catalog on DVD, adding a few thousand more would create a huge backlog that might take years to get through.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

All of this is of course speculation based on
a mere rumor.

However, let's entertain it.

I would hope that if MGM merges with
Warner, that the video division would be expanded
to handle the amount of releases from both
studios.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I also agree with Ron that the positives of MGM being acquired by Warner far outweigh any potential negatives. For example, Warner hasn't had an issue anamorphically enhancing their 1.66:1 releases -- MGM for some reason refuses to do so. (Note - I'm still hoping against hope that they don't release the upcoming Bergman films as 1.66:1 flat DVDs...)

Plus, Warner hasn't been using recycled LaserDisc transfers in years. MGM has been doing so even recently.

-greg

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
MGM releases films that are NC-17 or Unrated, like Paul Verhoeven's Spetters and Flesh+Blood.

Warner has a policy of NOT releasing NC-17. There are numerous films that will never see the light of day because of this.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
If MGM is aquired by Warner, I would think that there would be far fewer releases from MGM's catalogue. But there would be far more DVD's in snappers. I would not want that. I wish they would just eraticate them.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Goodbye DTS and hello annoying snap cases. Bad combination from Warner Bros. Why couldn't the New Line division pick it up instead? Same damn company! LOL :D

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I believe the companies would stay as separately managed entities, ala Rhino and New Line which are also Time-Warner owned but run unto themselves...Hence New Line's openness at using DTS and releasing unrated titles, something Warner will not do...

Same parent company...very different internal policies.

Though Turner's desire to own all MGM stamped titles may cause some shuffling around of titles.

As for Mad World, a reliable source (and it was not Robert Harris) reports that in striking that new 70mm print for the Cinerama dome, MGM essentially ruined the original negative making a restoration now totally impossible.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I hope it's not true... if it is, whoever approved doing that should be hanged.

The negative wasn't even supposed to be in bad condition and could have been used for the restoration (unlike The Alamo...its negative is supposedly useless).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Actually, that's not right. Both Warner and MGM refuse to do 1.66:1 anamorphic releases. See, for example, Warner's non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer on the 2-disc SE of Giant, as well as the non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers in the Stanley Kubrick collection.

DJ

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Well if Warner does come into control of the MGM library, they better not discontinue the Midnite Movie DVD line!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
This concerns me greatly. Also I don't think that rampant mergers are a good thing -- choice is good, and MGM has been doing a lot of good work lately.

Ted

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
one other *possible* problem.
sometimes when a parent company puts out big capital to buy an underling, they have to cut budgets to save up some operating cash-which could mean cutting staff and even number of releases, at either WB, MGM, or both.
I am mostly happy with MGM, and they seem to be forging their own identity in the marketplace.....let us hope this will only enhance things for them.

Right now I rate them above Artisan and Columbia....

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Warner Home Video used to have distribution rights for MGM Home Video.

In fact many of the original DVDs from MGM Home Video said in the fine print, distributed by Warner Home Video.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
this could go either way with warner having negative effects like censoring unrated/nc-17 titles and no DTS. It could be good becuse warner recently is taking pride in doing great eitions of catalog titles(casablanca,robin hood,etc.)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Harminder and Matt_H with regards to DTS. And I believe that Warner doesn't seem to do the snap cases anymore. The Matrix Revolutions and Terminator 3 prove that to me. And I believe that the contract ran out on the snap cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Chuck Halverson

Auditioning
One good thing, Lets not forget about MGM and Turner having alot of the 30's and 40's Warner Brothers Cartoons. The best ones in my book. I cant wait till they start releasing Bob Clampetts cartoons. He is my favorite Looney Tunes Director.

Aaron_H

Agent
Real Name
Aaron

I would love to say the snappers are gone. But I just saw "Alex & Emma" (released 12/23/03) in the store the other day and it's in a snapper case.

I believe the only reason Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded are not in snappers is because they were 2 disc dvd sets.

But I do hope the snappers die really soon...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks