What's new

Warner music to be sold... (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what's the market penetration of either hi-rez format's in other countries outside of the US. From what I can see, looks like SACD is succeeding more....basing that assumption on releases on SACD. If that's the case, perhaps some music labels are willing to "bet on" the more popular, in relative terms, format and save money by concentrating by marketing one format.

I sure hope the Genesis hi-rez titles are still coming...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If that's the case, perhaps some music labels are willing to "bet on" the more popular, in relative terms, format and save money by concentrating by marketing one format.
That would be good for us audiophiles that prefer Super Audio, but maybe the best solution is to have both adopted as "included standards" (like DD/DTS) on all future DVD players.

Perhaps the DVD working group will approach Sony & Philips at some point and propose this as a way for both formats to be used...

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
I respect you Lee, but man i gotta say, you're blowin a lot of air up sacd's skirt that isn't really there yet.

I think that around the world, sacd is much more accepted than dvd-a is. It's in America where labels are on the fence. I heard somewhere that Universal's head in Europe was mad that Universal in America is still releasing dvd-a.

I do prefer sacd in general over dvd-a, but sacd needs MAJOR help from labels and title selection before I believe it's as runaway a success as Lee makes it out to be.
I'm FAR more cautious about sacd's success rate than you are.

Maybe I'm in the dark about how successful it really is, but I see sacd's relative success in a VERY small niche market right now.

I think most people who buy hi-res do in fact buy it from net sales, and isn't that harder to track anyway?

It's good to see 650k pre-orders for Dylan's stuff though.

The success rate of sacd has been frustrating to me because I think that if some REALLY good titles came out for the format, it would take off. It's much more poised to take off sales wise than dvd-a is. But sacd hasn't gotten the kick yet from 2 or 3 more major titles just yet.

The Stones and Dylan got much interest from people globally, but the format needs something more.

And dvd-a? That format has detractors in its own camp. And no-one knows what Warner's gonna do. BMG, which had been 100% dvd-a has now merged with Sony, and releasing their first sacd. No one is buying that title, but the significant thing is they're putting out sacd's now.

The road is clearer for sacd's future success than it is for dvd-a's.

That's the way it seems to me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks