What's new

Warner HV, "Rumor Has It" is first HD DVD/sd DVD hybrid title (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just in case anyone cares to know.

from video business

"Playable in standard machines and the new Toshiba HD DVD players, the Rumor Has It release will hold an HD DVD on one side of the disc and a standard-definition DVD on the other. The hybrid disc carries a $39.99 list price, which is somewhat higher than Warner’s HD DVD-only pricing."

more here.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article....html?nid=2705

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am really looking forward to this movie, despite its mixed reviews. Can't wait!

- Steve

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Here is the WB Press Release:
------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WARNER HOME VIDEO TO RELEASE FIRST
TITLE IN NEW HD DVD and DVD COMBO FORMAT
Rumor Has It Arrives May 9 on HD DVD
Day-and-Date with Standard Definition Release
Three More HD DVD Titles Also Debuting
GoodFellas and Swordfish, May 2
Training Day, May 9

Burbank, California (April 25, 2006) – Warner Home Video (WHV) has announced the release of the first title in the HD DVD and DVD Combo Format (HD DVD on one side and Standard Definition DVD on the other): Rumor Has It, which will debut May 9, day-and-date with its Standard Definition version. In addition, WHV will release three new HD DVD titles: GoodFellas and Swordfish on May 2 and Training Day on May 9.

“We are pleased to be continuing our rollout of new HD DVD titles,” said Stephen Nickerson, Senior Vice President, Market Management. “But what is really exciting is the release of the first title, Rumor Has It, in the HD DVD and DVD Combo format. Purchasing a disc now in this format is the ideal choice that gives consumers the greatest flexibility in viewing options: If they own an HD DVD player, of course, they’ll get all the benefits of HD DVD and be able to play the disc in existing DVD players. If they’re considering a future purchase of an HD DVD player, they can still enjoy the movie until they upgrade.”

GoodFellas, Swordfish and Training Day will sell for $28.99 SRP; Rumor Has It will be available at $39.99 SRP.

Rumor Has It is director Rob Reiner’s clever romantic comedy starring Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Costner, Shirley MacLaine and Mark Ruffalo; GoodFellas is Martin Scorsese’s powerful film exploration of mob life starring Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci; Swordfish is the cyber-adventure from Matrix producer Joel Silver starring John Travolta, Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman and Training Day is the gripping, action hit starring Denzel Washington, in his Oscar® -winning performance, and Ethan Hawke;. All bonus materials on the Standard Definition versions of each of the four titles will be included on the HD DVD versions.

WHV began its rollout of HD DVD titles on April 18 with The Last Samurai, The Phantom of the Opera and Million Dollar Baby. WHV expects to announce shortly additional titles to be released in May.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color in addition to beautifully crisp sound. HD DVD also provides a new level of interactivity, giving instant access to extra features with the debut of a seamless menu bar that allows viewers to enjoy features and settings without leaving or interrupting the film.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Nice idea, but the price is a little too high. Can these discs still have full capacity (dual layer) on both sides? I heard the HD side of these hybrid discs might be compromised.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
People without HD sets will never use the HD DVD side,a nd not want to pay $40. People with HD DVD palyers will not want to use the DVD side and pay $40.

Why is this a good idea?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

1) It is a concession to stores who do not want to carry multiple SKU's. That is, Walmart.

2) It is a (slight) advantage to people like me who bring DVD's over to their friends' houses for entertainment. If they do not have HD-DVD, I can flip the disc over and play the DVD.

3) It is a means for people with DVD only to future-proof their movie purchase investment, that is, if they eventually plan to get an HD-DVD player and don't mind the extra cost.

The extra cost is a slight concern... but I still want to see the movie.

- Steve

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
jesse, modern video are all compressed. there's no "uncompressed" video that we enjoy... unless you recorded to disk =).

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Jesse said "compromised" and I think his concern is that the HD DVD side is not of the same quality or capacity as a regular, "pure" HD DVD.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wait, so there is no "HD DVD only" option for this movie? Just a hybrid for more money? That's total crap!

Yeah, and it also costs more money for something you may not want.

Am I just missing that there is also an HD DVD only option for this, or is this right? Just DVD and HD DVD/DVD hybrid, no HD DVD?

Hey, if someone wants to pay more money to have both formats on one disc, more power to them. But don't make that the only option.

I certainly hope I won't be forced to pay more money for newer title releases just to get a standard definition version I don't want.

Again, as an additional option, this is fine for those who want it (not even a bad idea for some people in some situations). But there are plenty of people who have no interest in getting a SD version for extra money, so they shouldn't be forced into this if they want the movie in Hi-Def.

Grrrrr, I hope this in't going to become the annoyance it has the potential to become.

Here's to hoping I'm over-reacting and there will also be an option for HD DVD only.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Add me to those above who think this is a very poor idea that will benefit nobody. Apparently dealers will either have to stock both versions, anyhow, or to try to convince regular DVD buyers to pay an excessive price for something they may not even want. I know I don't plan to pay a premium to have a standard def version. More unrealistic thinking by the suits.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Just an excuse for the studios to get those prices back up where THEY want them again!

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I don't think too many people are going to pay close to a 75% premium to future proof their investment.

And for those of us who already own HD-DVD players, we're forced to almost pay for the DVD version to go with it. We're already paying a premium for the HD-DVD version. Now they are going to make us pay for the standard DVD version too? WB is off to a great start.

At least when Sony started packaging UMDs with DVDs, they still give people the option to just buy the DVD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i don't think this idea is going to end up having legs. I agree with Brandon, very few people are going to pay a premium to 'future proof'.
they are either happy with SD right now and don't anticipate upgrading to HD soon, or they are specifically buying for the HD version.

the only way i might see this flying is if they price a hybrid w/ no extras LESS than regular editions (both SD and HD) that did contain extras.
in that instance there would be a practrical (re: $) incentive to pick up the hybrid over either of the other two.
frankly, i'll be annoyed if something like V For Vendetta is only available in HD on a hybrid disc.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm not especially fond of the idea (flippers are so... so... laserdisc ;)), but I want to see the movie.

- Steve

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get that figure (75%)?
The MSRP is $39.99.
What would the cost be to buy the SD DVD & HD DVD of this title?
I would guess the two would have MSRP's of $19.99 (SD) & $29.99 (HD).
I would therefore guess, buying this dual SD/HD title once would save 20%, "to future proof their investment".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks