What's new

Warner Feb. Releases including My Fair Lady, Mutiny on the Bounty, Mrs. Miniver & more (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I will probably pass on MFL only because I am satisfied between the current release and the laserdisc box set. I am all over the other announced titles, though. Thanks, WB!

Whether a transfer of a large format film is from a reduction or not is academic to me. There are more than one ways to skin a cat in making a superior low-rez video presentation, and there are a lot more noticeable things that can be wrong with a transfer than any artifact of a single generation downconversion to 35mm.

I believe Vertigo is probably the only Vistavision film that has ever been transferred from a large format source for a home video master (a windowboxed element created from the Vista to 65mm restoration), but I don't plan on boycotting other titles because they did not make a 65mm element from the VV negative for transfer. Let them make the video master however they like and I will judge it based on the results, not the method.

Regards,

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I think the real problem occurs when a film is transfered from an OLD reduction element.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Bill, thanks for the 411 on the transfer situation.

I am now more excited about this re-release (if such a thing is possible) than I was before I read your post!

Keep 'em coming WB and I'll keep putting $$$ in your coffers! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't noticed this specification heretofore: BOTH the 1940 and 1944 versions of "Gaslight" are to be included on the dual-sided disc. Not bad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks