What's new

Warner DVD Decision 2004 - Voting Results are in! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i was hoping Greed would get out of the gate in Jan, so that it would free up the opportunity for another (batch) of silents to get released in a TCM collection (the silent i'm pining for the most is The Wind, and that doesn't look like its coming anytime soon, but at least i still have my LD).

we'll probably see a couple Von Stroheims as the TCM collection next yr- a long version of Greed and something else as a 'bonus' (Wedding March?)

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
YES! God Bless Turner Classic Movies! My impossible dream of getting a special edition of Ice Station Zebra has miraculously come true!

Oh, yes. It WILL be mine.

"Quote: For God's sake hurry. Endquote. The rest of the transmission is garbled.":D

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I like Silents more than the average film fan & you can check it out in my DVD Library Link. It was just a matter with my vote of wanting other films more than "Greed". ;)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I was hoping for "Kansas City Bomber" myself, but I can be content with "Ice Station Zebra".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Now, any more news as to Warner and MGM?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I am bummed - was praying for Shoes of the Fisherman.
I am amazed that Ice Station Zebra is so liked today. It was considered a real turkey when it opened back in 68?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Excellent! The list includes 4 of my 5 votes. Particularly pleased that we'll have The Letter, Random Harvest (two really great classics) and Ivanhoe. My only one that didn't make it was Lust for Life which I would have preferred over King Solomon's Mines.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm really disappointed in these results. I was 1/5 in my votes and the 1 that got in was the one that I was least excited about. I thought that "Greed" & "Chain Gang" were would make it hands down.

I'll admit that I haven't seen any of the 5 winners, so hopefully I'll be impressed by the specs enough to pick several of them up. In the meantime, I'll keep hoping for SEs of the other titles.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Isn't it a shame how little Paul Muni is known these days? Maybe that's one of the reasons 'Chain Gang' failed to make it. Of course the other is that the whole exercise was just a little bit of PR fluff and the results were a fait accompli anyway... ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Elections can provide surprises. ;)

Perhaps a breakdown on the age of the voters would lend a clue. ;)

I can't speak for the other voters, but I enjoy Muni's films & will buy them when released. But "Chain Gang" is not at the top of my list of favorite Muni films, & I did not vote for it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
paging Joe_Pinney, could you edit your first post to include the final results?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THESE RESULTS, except,
"ICE STATION" ???????
Don't get that one !!!!!!!!!!
I wanted "ALL FALL DOWN"

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to IVANHOE, but I'm also disappointed that GREED and I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG didn't make the cut. :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it. What is the age of the voters who would prefer Random Harvest (1942) over Greed (1924)? Nobody under 62 was even alive when they were made. I doubt very much if the TCM fans who like old black & white films differ much in age from the TCM fans who like silent films.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I was really sad that LUST FOR LIFE and CHAIN GANG didn't make it, and I thought GREED would for sure, just based on its historical importance.

That being said, I feel certain that Warner will get these to us (and in beautiful editions, thankfully sans-snappers!) before long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks