What's new

Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Acquires Rights To 70 Films From The Samuel Goldwyn Library (2 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm just disappointed that, except for The Best Years of Our Lives, Wyler's films are being released in SD versions only. Surely one of our greatest directors deserves a better treatment of his artistic legacy for Goldwyn (Dodsworth, These Three, Dead End, Wuthering Heights, The Little Foxes, The Westerner).

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Wuthering Heights, Dodsworth and The Little Foxes are the ones I'm most interested in coming to Blu-ray. But it certainly appears that that's not going to happen anytime soon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bruceames said:
Wuthering Heights, Dodsworth and The Little Foxes are the ones I'm most interested in coming to Blu-ray. But it certainly appears that that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Bruce - I totally agree.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Dodsworth is my favorite. What a superb film! Everything about it is flawless: Huston and Chatterton at their best; Astor lovely and understanding, and wishing she'd fall in love with me!, etc., etc. It is timeless and unforgettable, as is Huston's last line to Chatterton.
I've outgrown Wuthering Heights. I saw it last time in 1989 when it was reissued for its 50th anniversary. I took my pre- and teenaged children (ages 10-13) to see it so they could appreciate the beautiful B&W cinematography in 35mm. Also so they could watch the legendary Olivier in one of his iconic roles. When the screening ended I said nothing, just waited for their comments. They were blown away by the cinematography, calling it the most beautiful B&W movie they'd ever seen. As for the acting, they thought the best performance was given by Geraldine Fitzgerald. I was amazed, because on re-watching the movie, I absolutely agreed. I thought Olivier was a bit hammy, still learning how to act in front of the camera; I've never really liked Oberon, the weakest link in the cast; and Fitzgerald as Isabella was heartbreaking without being maudlin. At any rate, Bunuel's Mexican version, Abismos de Pasion, is not as refined around the edges; it is rawer and much more haunting; more like the novel; more amour fou than romantic swooning. I still would buy a BD of Wyler's version.
I've seen a TV version of The Little Foxes with Greer Garson. I think that she captured the "charm" of the Southern lady without overplaying her hand, as Davis did. Davis was just too steely and evil. The whole point of Regina is that she is rotten to the core but her charm hides it. I understand that Wyler and Davis disagreed on the interpretation of the part, and that Davis prevailed. They never worked as a team on another project. I'd also buy a BD of Wyler's version.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Nobody is making any sense in this thread.
bruceames said:
Very disappointing that Warner would release Wuthering Heights on DVD only, and not only that, as a pressed disc! This is one of those few movies that was totally neglected on DVD (MGM released it early in the format's life, but has long been OOP), and yet is highly deserving to get released on Blu-ray. This is THE definitive version of the book and like the 1940 Pride and Prejudice (also much deserving a BD release), is vastly under-appreciated.
I thought pressed discs were good things?
bujaki said:
I've outgrown Wuthering Heights. I saw it last time in 1989 when it was reissued for its 50th anniversary. I took my pre- and teenaged children (ages 10-13) to see it so they could appreciate the beautiful B&W cinematography in 35mm. Also so they could watch the legendary Olivier in one of his iconic roles. When the screening ended I said nothing, just waited for their comments. They were blown away by the cinematography, calling it the most beautiful B&W movie they'd ever seen. As for the acting, they thought the best performance was given by Geraldine Fitzgerald. I was amazed, because on re-watching the movie, I absolutely agreed. I thought Olivier was a bit hammy, still learning how to act in front of the camera; I've never really liked Oberon, the weakest link in the cast; and Fitzgerald as Isabella was heartbreaking without being maudlin. At any rate, Bunuel's Mexican version, Abismos de Pasion, is not as refined around the edges; it is rawer and much more haunting; more like the novel; more amour fou than romantic swooning. I still would buy a BD of Wyler's version.
What do you mean you've "outgrown" Wuthering Heights? Everything you say after that sentence is high praise of the film!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Mark,
It's just that it's not as high in my estimation as it used to be. It's still one of the great films of 1939, and Bunuel's film nails it better (with all its faults such as a low budget, actors of lesser caliber, etc., but Bunuel's vision overrides all).

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Mark-P said:
Nobody is making any sense in this thread.
I thought pressed discs were good things?
I meant if they're going through the trouble of pressing discs and that potential sales justify the amount they need to press, then they could have released it on Blu-ray. Practically every new-to-DVD catalog they do these days goes through their Archive program.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
I meant if they're going through the trouble of pressing discs and that potential sales justify the amount they need to press, then they could have released it on Blu-ray. Practically every new-to-DVD catalog they do these days goes through their Archive program.
Different manufacturing processes between DVD and BD. More expensive to manufactured for the latter.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Robert Crawford said:
Different manufacturing processes between DVD and BD. More expensive to manufactured for the latter.
Which by this point in time shouldn't be enough of a difference to matter, especially when the decision is not to release it on the "next gen" format at all. Makes me wonder if HD DVD would be facing the same limitations today of no burned discs and too high a manufacture difference to justify putting it on an 8 year old format. Seems too many unnecessary factors are throttling output.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
bujaki said:
...Wuthering Heights. I saw it last time in 1989 when it was reissued for its 50th anniversary. I took my pre- and teenaged children (ages 10-13) to see it so they could appreciate the beautiful B&W cinematography in 35mm.
Wow, that brings up great memories of the summer of 1989 and the 50th anniversary 1939 films that played in my hometown. WUTHERING HEIGHTS was accompanied by a personal appearance by Douglas Fairbanks Jr and I got to meet and speak with him. What a memory! Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Which by this point in time shouldn't be enough of a difference to matter, especially when the decision is not to release it on the "next gen" format at all. Makes me wonder if HD DVD would be facing the same limitations today of no burned discs and too high a manufacture difference to justify putting it on an 8 year old format. Seems too many unnecessary factors are throttling output.
Quite frankly, I think few of us know enough about the actual costs associated with the manufacturing processes at these BD replication plants.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Wuthering Heights has a special place in me because along with Pride and Prejudice (1940), they were the first movies that got me addicted to the classics when I started buying VHS in the late 1980's. I was very impressed with Olivier's performance in both of those movies. And he owned in Wuthering Heights. He has such charisma and is a powerful presence on screen. Sure his acting has traces of staginess in them, but remember he had done over a dozen films by then and his talent totally overshadows it. He's also a joy to watch in Pride and Prejudice (and Rebecca of course), with his effortless mannerisms and reserve.

Just a shame that it won't be coming to Blu-ray. Maybe I'll have to just give it up and buy the DVD that come out a while back.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow. This thread is two years old. It's really not clear where this acquisition is going. The blus released so far definitely are not my favorite from this library. I understand WHV releasing Best Years of Our LIves, but it seems like most of the other top titles in the library have been ignored. My theory is this, I think that WHV has a particularly oppressive managerial accounting system that really disincentivises incurring any costs to release anything. My guess is also that this system does not fully apply in the case of the archive.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Warner has been a grand disappointment for collectors hoping to raid their vast closet of goodies from Hollywood's golden age in hi-def. The trickle of their product is very disappointing. While we can commend them for the stuff they've put out thus far - the Blu-ray's via their archive program of Gypsy, The Americanization of Emily, Greystoke, Jumbo look spectacular - we can't get all that excited that more of the MGM, Warner, RKO and Samuel Goldwyn catalogue remain buried and out of print except in substandard archive MOD DVD renditions.

I'm not entirely certain what the hold up is and Warner isn't really being forthright with collectors when they say there is NO market for classic movies on Blu-ray. Fox has found a model that works with third party distribution of titles to Twilight Time. Criterion has licensed some snazzy classics from Columbia too. And Region 2 is flooded with quality releases we can only salivate over in Region 1 - unless, of course, they're region free. Somehow, all of the aforementioned (to say nothing of Olive stamping out substandard quality transfers in hi-def) have made classic movies on Blu-ray marketable. By the way, I'm not suggesting Olive's model is the one to emulate. Merely, pointing out that if it wasn't a model that was making them money the steady stream of B-grade releases would have dried up a long time ago.

So Warner really is the odd man out, here. I cannot understand their marketing philosophy and I'm not even going to try. It's disappointing. Frankly, it's staggering we're in 2014 and still have no Blu-ray releases of Seven Brides for Seven Brother, The Band Wagon, all of the Astaire/Rogers confections, Marie Antoinette, Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939), Ryan's Daughter, and scores of other high profile titles. What Warner is thinking or waiting for is beyond me. Whatever it is, one fact is irrefutable: the camera negatives to these aforementioned movies, and thousands like them, are not getting any younger.

More needs to be done or we are in danger of losing a whole history and cultural heritage on film for future generations to appreciate and explore. Badly done on Warner's part. Very badly done, indeed!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Warner needs to step up their catalog game, especially via their Archives Collection outlet for the more obscure titles...the bigger-selling titles I can understand them wanting to release through their usual retail channels, but BD has been out there for nearly 8 years and they're falling behind in the perception game among collectors, as indicated by all the posts on this thread...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
If Fox can release everything from "Laura" and "Ghost and Mrs Muir" to "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" and "Desk Set", then Warners can start ramping up their catalogue output. Its rather depressing.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
The people that would like to buy these classics aren't getting any younger. Warners claims that there is no market for these gems but the longer they hold out, the fewer collectors will be around to enjoy them. They should put these films out there for posterity and let new fans discover them on their own terms. I know Warners corporation needs to make money but their legacy is slowly disappearing.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The WHV department is definitely catering more to the casual buyer vs the collector. They're still hanging in there, but it seems more obvious that most of their HD material is going to their new streaming site.

Can we safely say there has been a major shift in this policy since George Feltenstein left the retail division to the Warner Archive division?

I agree that WB should consider sublicensing its library but we all know that is never going to happen, at least for a very very long time. They're just like Disney in that regard.

As for the Golwyn library, my primary hopes and expectations lie in some of the more obscure films that MGM never bothered to release are released through the Warner Archive.
Nick*Z said:
So Warner really is the odd man out, here. I cannot understand their marketing philosophy and I'm not even going to try. It's disappointing. Frankly, it's staggering we're in 2014 and still have no Blu-ray releases of Seven Brides for Seven Brother, The Band Wagon, all of the Astaire/Rogers confections, Marie Antoinette, Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939), Ryan's Daughter, and scores of other high profile titles. What Warner is thinking or waiting for is beyond me. Whatever it is, one fact is irrefutable: the camera negatives to these aforementioned movies, and thousands like them, are not getting any younger.
Who's to say those films aren't getting restored as we speak? Whether we like it or not, some of these classics need a lot of work in order to even get a quality HD scan and this can take years. I agree that WB needs to step up their game, but its not like all these films are in pristine condition and ready for a meticulous HD remaster. The same is true for all the majors.

Many of these films have also gotten HD treatment--they've just haven't bothered releasing them on blu-ray. There's hundreds on their streaming service in HD right now. Less blu-rays doesn't always mean the film elements are being neglected, and in WB's case it's certainly not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks