What's new

Warner Brother's 2-Disc Special Edition Series (1 Viewer)

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
As a proponent of Little Dorrit, it's plain to me he wasn't referring to it, since it was in fact released on laserdisc at some point.

Of course I realize it's fairly absurd to expect an SE of LD; I figured it just doesn't hurt to ask for the moon once in a while. . . .

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
It could be Nothing Lasts Forever as that was asked about by someone a while ago and was a low grossing movies from MGM/UA which GF did not choose to release on laserdisc.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
"Network" definitely needs a SE.

Paddy Chayefksy's screenplay is one of the best written in film history imo

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" :D

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
"Well, according to this link Lowry just finished a resotration of THX-1138, so we can safely pencil it in as a future 2-disc,"

I thought it was pretty much already announced this was coming in this year. Anyone else hear that?

Surprised to see it never came up on the wishlist at all.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
It could be Nothing Lasts Forever as that was asked about by someone a while ago and was a low grossing movies from MGM/UA which GF did not choose to release on laserdisc.
Highly doubtful. Not only did NOTHING LASTS FOREVER never get ANY home video release, but it barely received a theatrical release. (Midnight shows at NYC's 8TH STREET PLAYHOUSE are what I remember)...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I thought it was pretty much already announced this was coming in this year. Anyone else hear that?
Warner said it was being worked on during the chat last year for a 2004 release, which was the first news we received. Since then, we've had the Lowry Digital article and the Region 2 release date announcement for June. I would bet that the Region 1 release will come out at the same time, or at the very least very close to June.

Also, there's a good chance that the short that inspired the film, "Electronic Labyrinth (THX-1138:4EB)," will be on the set since the current short compilation disc it has been released on (here) is distributed by Warner.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't see White Heat on any of the listings; wasn't that a title Warner was supposedly working on getting out?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think those listing are for 2-disc SE's for the most part. White Heat could simply be a single disc release we don't know the details about yet (like how they kept the single disc releases of Grand Hotel or The Great Ziegfeld from being known until the press release).

Matt_P

Second Unit
Sorry if this is redundant info...

An SE of Heat (the Michael Mann film) is on the slate for Summer 2004. I know a R2 version is definately on the way in July, if that's any indication.

I'd be very happy if this was confirmed in R1. To date, I have held out on the current release in anticipation of another.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Well I would consider Any Given Sunday already to be a SE.

As part of the Oliver Stone Collection as a double dvd which I bought off of e-bay when someone broke up the set for like $10.

But I wish the packaging was a lot better and available to all not just in the box set.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't know if anyone else considers this one worthy of inclusion, but Claude Lelouch's brilliant 1995 adaptation of "Les Miserables", featuring a truly wonderful performance by Jean-Paul Belmondo, has not even been released on DVD AT ALL, much less a deluxe special edition, which I believe this film genuinely deserves.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
On the subject of what should, and should not be considered for release as a WB 2-Disc SE 'Slip Cover Series' - Looking over the current releases in this series I can not help but remember that classic Sesame Street song...

One of these things is not like the others.
One of these things, doesn't belong.
Can you tell me which is not like the others,
Before I finish this song?

Space Jam. Seriously though, all these great classics and terrific films and WB tosses in Space Jam? Granted, I have never seen this film, but the majority of reviews by far have been pretty ruthless when describing this 'movie'.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Space Jam was done for one reason: to promote Looney Tunes: Back in Action. It seems to have failed miserably at its task.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
What are the BIG Warner-owned titles not on DVD yet?
Gordy... my definition of big might differ from others but here are a few that I'd like to see:

Angels With Dirty Faces - 1938
Asphalt Jungle - 1950
Bringing Up Baby - 1938
Captains Courageous - 1937
Dial M For Murder - 1954
The Magnificent Ambersons - 1942
The Mask Of Dimitrios - 1944
Murder My Sweet - 1944
The Narrow Margin - 1952
Night Of The Iguana - 1964
Out Of The Past - 1947
The Petrified Forest - 1936
The Public Enemy - 1931
Suspicion - 1941
White Heat - 1949

Plus about 500 others... I'd much prefer to see even single disc release editions of these now and worry about upgrading titles that are already available somewhere down the road.

Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks