What's new

Warner Bros. CONFIRMS Cats & Dogs WILL BE PAN & SCAN ONLY!!! (1 Viewer)

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
quote: I'm just more and more nervous for The Neverending Story dvd. Will it be another P&S title?[/quote]
Unfortunately, it looks that way.
furious.gif

Sheesh.. insistence on using snapper-crapper cases, lower bit rates on some 5.1 discs, neglecting catalog and cult titles, now this Pan & Scan B.S. Warner was once the early champion of the format, but now they're heading on a fast track into the gutter.
frown.gif

[Sarcasm] By the way, WB... GREAT job with the 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND disc. Absolutely NO extras outside of a trailer. Wow! I especially LOVE how you neglected to even include the prequel cartoon shorts that were on YOUR VERY OWN WEBSITE[/Sarcasm off]
rolleyes.gif

`Carl
[Edited last by Carl C on August 15, 2001 at 03:10 PM]

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
But Jeez! I can't imagine what else they could f**k-up between now and then!
What else? How about a pan and scam-only Iron Giant SE? This has NOT been announced (I don't mean to perturb folks any further), but Warners' Cats&Dogs announcement doesn't give me hope that they'll do right by the expected SE of one of my most favourite movies. If Warner does pan'n'crap to the big metal guy, it'll be war, baby!! Cheers.
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Sean,
Don't forget to add Scooby-Doo episodes out of order to your list.
Warner Brothers truly deserve the "Worst DVD makers of the World" award!
------------------

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Um...how about a major title known as......HARRY POTTER I'm sure they are already in their stages of knowing if it's going to be P&S or not.
A week ago, I would never have believed that Warner would release a recent and high profile film in a cropped format. With the Cats & Dogs announcement, I am now resigned to the likelihood that we'll get a Pan and Scan Harry Potter disc as well.
This is a frightening trend.

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jean-Francois Masse Quotes:
I'm just more and more nervous for The Neverending Story dvd. Will it be another P&S title?
OH MY! Count me in as well! It's killing me. I love that movie and just thinking about it stressing me out! Imagine, it's barebones, 2.0 and Pan and Scam. Why can't it have both formats!!!
And a Warner DVD supporter like myself (Supporter because I bought all their anamorphic titles) is getting it in the ass, and I have done NOTHING to them, except help them make money! :angry:
------------------
Petition to make Halloween II an SE from Universal

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Warner, quoting from one of your more popular characters:
"You know this means war"
[Edited last by Jay E on August 15, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Here we go again....
Isn't it common sense that including both widescreen and pan&scan will only maximize sales, while including only p&s will alienate a portion of potential consumers?? Why do they insist on believing in their "market research"??
WB is definitely on the road to becoming the worst dvd studio.
------------------

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I for one WILL NOT EVER purchase any pan&scan discs. I've been afraid of the reprocusions of DVD going mainstream, and I think we need to raise hell to keep the J6Ps from taking over. I for one am going to call WB and voice my displeasure with what they are doing.
Not giving us even the CHOICE to buy the OAR is amazing...what a dissapointment.
------------------
Ian M. Fisher
[email protected]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Bummer. I rather liked this one.
It's a puzzling move on Warner's part, though. I mean, consider how Buena Vista, neck-and-neck with Paramount for the title of most conservative studio, seems to see having a widescreen version a priority over a cropped one, even for their high-profile franchise family titles.
I think WB may be asking the wrong questions with their market research. After "do you prefer fullscreen or widescreen?", they should be asking "would a movie being in widescreen/fullscreen keep you from purchasing the movie?" I suspect that would slant the numbers in the other direction.
Ah, well. I can do without. Pity, though.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I'm starting to cringe everytime I look for DVD news, and when I do, I get a headache like when you eat ice cream too fast.
To be honest, I had no plans to buy this title. Rent it sure and maybe I'll buy it if I like it enough. The thing is is that after the Wonka and Friends "Best Of" announcements, this new announcement shows that all hell starting to break loose in the DVD industry, and it could easily move to other studios. Like one of those damned computer viruses.
I really hope WB wakes up and realizes that their "family title" policy is pissing off half the family...
-g
p.s. My hopes for the Batman Animated Series are going down the drain, and it's a "family" title dammit!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think WB may be asking the wrong questions with their market research.
Now that you mention it, I looked at the survey card that Buena Vista put in one of their recent disney releases, and it asked you "which features are most important to you". The only choice related to aspect ratio was "widescreen and full frame formats". There was no way to choose one or the other, which is a defacto vote for including the useless full frame version. I wonder if WB conducts similarly misdirected research?
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
This is absolutely disgusting. I was looking forward to this almost as much as Shrek, and now I can't buy it. Arrrrrgh!
furious.gif

------------------
/Kimmo

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Am I shocked by this news now in the light of recent announcements or not? I just don't know frankly. Another incredible screw up from Warner.
Dan (UK)

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Warner, you gave me the final push I needed to cancel my Wonka order.
You see, I had not cancelled it because of the way I purchased it, with promo gift certificates, free-shipping and share-the-love discounts. As a result, my net savings by cancelling would be just $8.95.
I thought, just bite the bullet, buy the POS and dump it on some dumb J6P on ebay. But your unmitigated gall in continuing to butcher films gave me the push I needed to, as Spike Lee would say, "do the right thing.
Now, neither I nor the afformentioned poor J6P SOB will have your POS DVD in our collection.
If not for the upcoming Citizen Kane, I would be buying no futher Warner DVDs and will scrutinize all purchases in the future, eliminating all but the absolute necessities put out by Warner.
Thanks again.
PS. Hey Warner, maybe Richard Sharp and your "marketing" staff can get together, lord knows what great ideas that combination of "great minds" could come up with.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
This thread just took me by suprise...I don't have time at this moment to make my post longer...but for now I'll say that this utter BULLSHIT!
I won't buy it if a widescreen version isn't included.
------------------
LuvLBX

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Oh well, looks like more money to go to Fox, Buena Vista, Dreamworks, CTS, and Pararmount. These are companies that KNOW how to do DVD.
Warner has just lost it. Period.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. You've got it backwards. The WB's of the world want J6P - the guy with 5 DVDs - to buy MORE! WB already knows they've got us! Marketing is about expanding your cusotmer base. That is EXACTLY what WB is attempting here.
But Warner is not expanding their customer base, they're shifting it. Judging from the responses in the Wonka thread, and now this thread, the home theater enthusiasts will not be buying cropped Warner products. Warner doesn't have us at all.
And I don't believe Joe Sixpacks will ever buy more than 5 or so discs. Warner will not be able to sell the volume of discs to J6P that it sells to us. Therefore, it's market is going to get smaller if they continue to release cropped titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks