What's new

Warner Bros. announces 10 new Catalog Titles for September 8th! (1 Viewer)

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
Yeah a rather disappointing list. Maybe The Postman for me from that list but nothing else.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hurray!! Nice to see Warner releasing such a big batch of um....classics.......pfft.

More fodder for the bargain bins. :thumbsdown: Though I might pick up Creepshow and Dead Calm if the PQ is up to snuff.........then only for under $10.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Why no love for The New World? I'm ecstatic to see it on the list, even if it is only the extended cut.

Malick in hi-def? Throw it on a BD50 and give it a healthy bitrate and TrueHD audio, and I'm there.

As for the other films . . . meh.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Didn't care much for it. The only Malick film that would make me excited is Badlands. But that's me. Though I do understand Malick has a strong following for all 4 ;) of his films.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Most of these are throw away excuses for just getting a film out on blu.

I am interested in Creepshow, and possibly Dead Calm. New World is a decent choice it has a following.

Too bad we can't get higher class catalog releases like Zabriskie Point announced for Blu so I don't have to buy the standard DVD edition next month... I have a feeling the sales for it won't be as good as could be cause some won't buy dvd they'll pass.

Other than that sort of a sorry list.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yeesh! What a bunch of shit. The only potentially saving grace here would be if these were another batch of their 'budget' priced titles. Even if that were the case, there is little there I would feel compelled to buy immediately.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H

I second that, although it would be nice to have the theatrical and extended cuts.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have Badlands in HD. It's long overdue for an improved re-issue. But I'm still thrilled to see the Extended Cut of TNW finally making it out. The theatrical version had a glimmer of greatness for me, but was problematical. I look forward to seeing how the EC alters my initial impression.
That release alone well makes up for the rest I have no interest in.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Catwoman????????????????????

I can't think of 1 movie more hated than this. I've never even seen it and all I've heard from people that have is sheer hate.

But having said that, I'm still a big Warner fan. I'm happy that catalog titles continue to get released on BD. Maybe not my favorites here, but I'm sure some will enjoy them, and I can only think that my catalog favorites will eventually get to BD.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The New World is my favorite film of the past decade, and nothing else comes anywhere close. So this is a huge announcement for me. Creepshow also sounds good.

But I'm happier for Malick on HD than any blockbuster could make me.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If they want BluRay to be more prominent in the marketplace, maybe they shouldn't brag about releasing a collection of 10 bombs all in one day.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Unbelievable selection -- for all the WRONG reasons. I honestly do not understand the strategy for the life of me. Yes I applaud Warner for mining their back catalog. Yes I'm happy THE NEW WORLD is coming.

But of all the thousands of movies they have access to, they choose CATWOMAN? SPHERE? THE POSTMAN? OVER THE TOP?

Are you KIDDING me?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Seems like good mainstream stuff that your casual movie fan will bite on.

I'm surprised people are still expecting classic titles. If classic titles on SD aren't selling I'm not sure why we're expecting them to sell on Blu.

I'll pick up FREDDY VS JASON if the price is around $15. CREEPSHOW as well if it's the extended or Special Edition that was released overseas. I enjoy OVER THE TOP in a "so horrible it's funny" way but won't be upgrading it.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Hmm. I thought Dead Calm was quite good, but I don't think I need to own it.

I haven't seen The New World, but none of the others interest me.

This is a rather odd batch from Warner.
Hey, I own a PS3 and I was on Ritalin when I was 16, but... ah nevermind. ;)

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
It looks like Warner is cutting back on its number of classic releases per year. It's very sad that they apparently expect recent crap like Catwoman to sell better than a classic like for instance Forbidden Planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks