What's new

Warner Archives in 2014? Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'd sure go for "Cain's Hundred", starring Mark Richman, as Nicholas Cain, a former gangland attorney, who turns the tables on the mobsters and brings those organized criminals for justice. What could possibly hold back such a DVD release could be music clearance issues, which is something WB would have to iron out to make the product available.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
oldtvshowbuff said:
I'd sure go for "Cain's Hundred", starring Mark Richman, as Nicholas Cain, a former gangland attorney, who turns the tables on the mobsters and brings those organized criminals for justice. What could possibly hold back such a DVD release could be music clearance issues, which is something WB would have to iron out to make the product available.
Series like this would be perfect for the WA channel, yet instead they seem intent on offering a lot of shows that have already been released through the DVD-R archive. I just signed up for three months at only $5 a month and was disappointed to see how little they've added to the channel since I last had it. I believe they are holding back a lot of material because they don't think it's HD worthy and that's a mistake because many of the vintage film and TV fans are not so fussy if something is rare and it's relatively watchable. I'm sure they're nervous over everyone complaining about paying for unremastered material, but I think they would get more subscribers if they just opened the floodgates, HD be damned.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
..."I'm sure they're nervous over everyone complaining about paying for unremastered material, but I think they would get more subscribers if they just opened the floodgates, HD be damned."

That is so true !

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think its more of them trying to balance the DVD sales and the Streaming service. I think they don't want to put DVD releases up for streaming too soon after they are released on DVD. They do have a lot of material that is not available on DVD and so far is only available to Stream so it seems they are trying to balance the two. There are a few shows I would like to purchase that are only available for streaming. More material is always nice for streaming. It seems they have added more over the last 6 months then they did in the first year plus.
Professor Echo said:
Series like this would be perfect for the WA channel, yet instead they seem intent on offering a lot of shows that have already been released through the DVD-R archive. I just signed up for three months at only $5 a month and was disappointed to see how little they've added to the channel since I last had it. I believe they are holding back a lot of material because they don't think it's HD worthy and that's a mistake because many of the vintage film and TV fans are not so fussy if something is rare and it's relatively watchable. I'm sure they're nervous over everyone complaining about paying for unremastered material, but I think they would get more subscribers if they just opened the floodgates, HD be damned.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
No, Randy, I wasn't saying I wanted MORE titles on the channel that they've already released on DVD or regularly shown on TCM, I want LESS. I was trying to convey that I would like them to tap into their vast library, both for film and TV, and stream more rare titles which may never prove feasible for a physical media release. My contention is that they are too cautious with their selection because of concerns over picture quality. I believe they could offer so much more than they currently are if they stopped being so worried about everything being HD friendly.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Professor Echo said:
I was trying to convey that I would like them to tap into their vast library, both for film and TV, and stream more rare titles which may never prove feasible for a physical media release.
However, this still causes the dilemma of dealing with clearances. I would imagine that the same amount of legal research and paperwork is involved whether an item is streamed or released on physical media as digital rights still have to be obtained and paid for.

I agree that the substandard way in which LCD/LED/Plasma TV's attempt to handle standard definition material has created a monster when it comes to decisions about the use of elements, and drives the HD frenzy which excludes the potential use of perfectly good 1" transfers of rarer/obscure programs for streaming.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
There are different legalities involved in broadcasting vs physical media, but not sure how they apply to streaming. Right now the channel is showing select episodes of WB detective shows with the music/songs intact. Whether or not it's because the licensing is different or if these represent specific shows they have already cleared, I don't know. Perhaps someone more knowledgable can weigh in on this.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Loopy De Loop was released today so yes they are still doing classic HB but it has been awhile. This will be my first animated reIease that I purchashed from them this year. I still have hopes for a couple more 60-70's titles by the end of November.
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
I hope they don't stop doing any more Hanna-Barbera "Classic Collection" DVDs.

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No they have not given up on any series so far but they have a lot on their plate to release so they tend to go through cycles of different shows. I would expect to see another season before the end of their release year, which is Thanksgiving.
HugeBensonFan said:
Have they given up on Alice? I sure hope not.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Based on when the sixth season of The F.B.I. was released last year by the Warner Archive (checked TVShowsOnDVD's listing page for the TV series The F.B.I.), and if they plan to release it, then I'm guessing that the ninth (and final) season of the show may get released in about a month's time.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Since we have less than 12 hours before wb archives release for the week comes out, any last minutes guesses?The Banana Splits?James

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I keep hoping that I'll see YOUNG MAVERICK, especially after how closely MAVERICK season 5 and the complete series of BRET MAVERICK were released.

But my hopes are dimming.....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It will be released but I don't think it will be released until next year.
bretmaverick2 said:
I keep hoping that I'll see YOUNG MAVERICK, especially after how closely MAVERICK season 5 and the complete series of BRET MAVERICK were released.

But my hopes are dimming.....

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Shirt Tales? Well. That was a pleasant surprise. Wasn't Nancy Cartright (pre Simpsons) on it? Have faith everyone. Patience and waiting just make delayed gratification better.James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks