What's new

Warner Archives in 2014? Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Come on Warner Archives, I only need two of my "holy grail" shows to be completed......"KNOTS LANDING" (Seasons 3-14) and "THE DREW CAREY SHOW" (Seasons 2-9).......make 2014 the year it happens PLEASE!!!!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Haven't really had much to guess at but one thing i feel stands a real good chance for release this year is more Jonny Quest. His 50th anniversary is this year. And given WA's use of comic con the last few years, i'd say it bodes well they might do a panel in regards to JQ this year. Given Space Stars and Captain Caveman got one on SDCC and there was an Alex Toth one at NYCC, it makes complete sense to do a JQ one this year.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I freely admit that I don't know the ins and outs of music rights but I don't understand why Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are available on their streaming service but haven't yet been released for us on DVD. Should be look at this as a preview of upcoming releases on these or is it a different animal altogether? I'm curious.
As a side note, their "Best Of" releases of the 4 season of Hawaiian Eye had one interesting component. While Season 1 and 2 have only select episodes included, Season 3 is divided into 2 volumes and is complete season set.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
When I was part of the promo for the WB streaming they didn't have but select episodes for both Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. My assumption was those one's were either cleared already or didn't have the major clearance issues associated with them. Have more been included since then?

What "Best Of" release? I've never seen a reference to this. Could you include a link?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
smithbrad said:
When I was part of the promo for the WB streaming they didn't have but select episodes for both Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. My assumption was those one's were either cleared already or didn't have the major clearance issues associated with them. Have more been included since then?

What "Best Of" release? I've never seen a reference to this. Could you include a link?
I haven't checked the streaming service in a couple of months but I believe it was only select episodes as of back in the fall. Something might have changed since then, though.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
smithbrad said:

He didn't mean a DVD release, just the Archive. Here's the breakdown:

77 Sunset Strip: Best of seasons 2&3 - 11 episodes, Best of season 4 - 28 episodes, Best of seasons 5&6 - 25 episodes
Hawaiian Eye: Best of seasons 1&2 - 12 episodes, Best of season 4 - 18 episodes, season 3 - 31 episodes

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
John Hermes said:
He didn't mean a DVD release, just the Archive. Here's the breakdown:

77 Sunset Strip: Best of seasons 2&3 - 11 episodes, Best of season 4 - 28 episodes, Best of seasons 5&6 - 25 episodes
Hawaiian Eye: Best of seasons 1&2 - 12 episodes, Best of season 4 - 18 episodes, season 3 - 31 episodes
Got it. I captured a select number of them (not all) but couldn't remember how many they included and from what seasons.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
From a previous discussion, it was mentioned that 'streaming' may be lumped in with 'broadcasting', and as such, has different restrictions and rights than DVDs, which are considered purchasing.I do not know if legally that is correct, but feels like a squirrelly, hair-splitting argument, so it might be right.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but I really hope this is a precursor to a proper DVD release on these shows. I'm not big on 77 but Hawaiian Eye is definitely a grail show for me.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
My favorite of the WB detectives was the least successful of the 4 shows - Bourbon Street Beat, which lasted only one season with 39 episodes. There were no music performances like there were in Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye, but there was background music played by the band at The Old Absinthe House. I hope they can get this series cleared for release.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
David Weicker said:
From a previous discussion, it was mentioned that 'streaming' may be lumped in with 'broadcasting', and as such, has different restrictions and rights than DVDs, which are considered purchasing.I do not know if legally that is correct, but feels like a squirrelly, hair-splitting argument, so it might be right.
Yes, a streaming channel or generic legal jumping would be the same rights as in to re-run it on a tv channel. To release something for DVD, Blu or digital download however is a very much different contract. Especially for those made before home media was really a thing, or was still very early on.

However i'd be curious if precedent is ever sent if streaming ever really puts cable and tv channels in the grave. Since while yes a stream is the basic principle to make it fall it line, but given it's practice model is slightly diferent, companies may start making changes to the typical formats to accommodate the new power. However i do wonder which one pays more on licenses.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I'd be very happy if they finished some of the stuff that has stalled. Let's have some more MARINE BOY and the remaining 65 episodes of THE CENTURIONS please. It's silly that all we've got on CENTURIONS is the first "mini-series" with the rest not released. I forget when that first appeared on Archive but it was some time ago. Even MARINE BOY first release was over six months ago IIRC

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Would there be much of a chance that the remaining Flintstones shows would be released? As far as I know, all the TV specials and other related shows are out so the only things remaining in terms of original and not repackaged content would be The Flintstone Comedy Hour and The Flintstone Comedy Show. I'd also like to see the final few episodes of The Jetsons finished off with a Season 3 release since it's only 10 episodes.Even more than the Flintstones and Jetsons, I'd love to see at least some of the remaining Popeye cartoons released. Both the theatrical shorts and television versions including the 1980's show. The name of it escapes me at the moment but I remember watching reruns of it on The Family Channel on Saturday mornings way back when. Even if it were through the MOD program, I really want to see the Popeye volume series from a few years ago restarted to finish off the Famous Studios theatrical cartoons.I'd also like to see some sort of release of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy but that's evidently rather obscure even among the obscure crowd.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
The Famous Studio theatricals are on track for mass retail in 2015. There's a new Popeye movie coming out and Warner intends to use the Famous shorts as a tie-in. This is per George Feltenstein on the latest podcast.

Jerry Beck threw some hints about the Archive handling an MGM Tex Avery set in 2014. We can only hope that it's not subjected to the same limbo as Huckleberry Hound.
I'd also like to see some sort of release of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy but that's evidently rather obscure even among the obscure crowd.
The whole Quick Draw McGraw program (which Augie Doggie was a part of) is mired in music rights issues over the stock music used. Who knows what, if any progress WAC has made in resolving that, or if they're just going to dump it onto the streaming service.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ken_Martinez said:
The whole Quick Draw McGraw program (which Augie Doggie was a part of) is mired in music rights issues over the stock music used. Who knows what, if any progress WAC has made in resolving that, or if they're just going to dump it onto the streaming service.
Has Quick Draw shown up on Boomerang? I wonder if they can even stream it.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I can think of several WB/MGM shows as possibilities out of the 1960s.
No Time For Sergeants
Wendy and Me
Hank
Many Happy Returns
Mister Roberts
The Rounders
Maya
I have seen "The Rounders" on TNT some 20 years ago, so it could be a logical choice because there are remasters on hand, and the same thing for "Wendy And Me", so I gave it my best shot right here!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
JoeDoakes said:
Has Quick Draw shown up on Boomerang? I wonder if they can even stream it.
Joe, I believe Boomerang did show it, though I wouldn't say with 100% certainty. When the kids were smaller and Boomerang was still showing older material, I used to watch it with them. I'm 95% sure it was shown on there.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Joe, I believe Boomerang did show it, though I wouldn't say with 100% certainty. When the kids were smaller and Boomerang was still showing older material, I used to watch it with them. I'm 95% sure it was shown on there.
I grabbed a bunch of the early cartoons off there that don't seem to be coming out: Quick Draw McGraw, Peter Potamus, Lippy the Lion, Touche Turtle, Wally Gator, Ruff & Ready, the rest of Huckleberry Hound.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
I can think of several WB/MGM shows as possibilities out of the 1960s.
No Time For Sergeants
Wendy and Me
Hank
Many Happy Returns
Mister Roberts
The Rounders
Maya
I have seen "The Rounders" on TNT some 20 years ago, so it could be a logical choice because there are remasters on hand, and the same thing for "Wendy And Me", so I gave it my best shot right here!
Would be happy to see most of those, although I can live with the Mayas I got from TNT. They haven't really seemed to be doing much in the way of sitcoms but hopefully that will change. Wendy and Me was syndicated by Worldvision but Warner likely holds home video rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks