What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the link. I wasn't doubting you - I just mused the info you saw.I have posted a question on the Archives FB page asking if Probe (the previously released pilot) would be included in this 'complete series' release. The posting, at this time, is unclear.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Bob Gu said:
Have not all the Archive TV series releases been pressed for the last year and a half? (Except for those ordered and duplicated on DVD-R from Amazon.)Have there been exceptions where the Archive has recently released any TV series on DVD-R? I think someone at HTF said the Jimmy Stewart Show was DVD-R? But that may be a surmise, based on an intransit preorder, because the show is not on the replicated list,(yet).Have any of the Archive TV series released on pressed Discs actually gone off the replicated list, and are now only available as DVD-Rs?
My copy of The Jimmy Stewart Show was DVD-R.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David Weicker said:
Thanks for the link. I wasn't doubting you - I just mused the info you saw.I have posted a question on the Archives FB page asking if Probe (the previously released pilot) would be included in this 'complete series' release. The posting, at this time, is unclear.
And their response was;"Probe is available as a separate release - as such it was not included in order to contain costs and maximize quality."

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
False alarm on Race Street. Seems they leaked the cover art prematurely and its actual date of availability remains unknown.

wacshop_home_noir14.jpg

It'll probably be out in the near future.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
SO HAPPY ABOUT "smiling through" and "Barrets of Wimpole"! Two new best picture nominees!!!! So greatfull I sent a heartfelt message to warner archives on their Facebook page asking about "test pilot", "Disraeli", "trader Horn", and other best pic Noms. I got a generic reply, but they said "more of my favorites are on the way!"Best pic Noms aren't my favorites, I just collect them, but... I hope they do release more of them soon.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm annoyed by the months-long desert of animation releases. If these were truly among the most profitable and popular of WAC releases, you'd think we would have seen or heard something, ANYTHING by now.

They hate cartoons.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Ken ... "They hate cartoons." Isn't that going a bit overboard? They seem to go in cycles, and right now we're seeing more old classics released. I've been called out for posting "Yawn" after a dearth of films in which I was interested, and rightly so. I'd be very surprised if more cartoons aren't in the offing. Good things do come to those who wait ...

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
The films noir are all pretty good, esp. if you are a George Raft fan. Nocturne has a particularly noirish opening, reminiscent of the opening shot of Black Angel.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
Vitaphone Shorts, Warner Brothers Shorts, MGM Shorts, RKO Radio Shorts.
Unfortunantly Warner does not own the RKO shorts. They were sold off to a company named Guild Films in the 50's and were then licensed to local TV stations. Guild has been absorbed over the years and the films that are not in public domain reside in some family trust. That does not know what they own or care.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Unfortunantly Warner does not own the RKO shorts. They were sold off to a company named Guild Films in the 50's and were then licensed to local TV stations. Guild has been absorbed over the years and the films that are not in public domain reside in some family trust. That does not know what they own or care.
Thanks Allen,
That is indeed disappointing news.

RKO did make some really entertaining shorts.
They used directors such as George Stevens, Mark Sandrich and Jean Yarbrough.
Stars included Betty Grable, Ruth Etting and Tony Martin among others.
Of course the Edgar Kennedy and the Leon Errol comedies were gems.

I've a feeling that some of the Leon Errol shorts were released on DVD a while back.

Maybe the RKO Shorts will emerge at some time.
One can only hope.

Doug.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Brandon Conway said:
They've have some releases on DVD from VCI and Alpha/Gotham (as recently as November 2013), which means they are either public domain or assumed to be.

http://www.filmaf.com/search.html?has=leon+errol&rgn=us&init_form=str0_has_leon+errol*rgn_us
Thanks Brandon.

"I've a feeling that some of the Leon Errol shorts were released on DVD a while back"

You know you have too many DVDs when you forget what you already have.
A quick search found The Leon Errol Two-Reeler Comedy Collection already in my DVD collection.

Being public Domain the shorts are generally very soft with less than perfect sound.
leon2.jpg
leon1.jpg

It would be terrific if Warner Archives could obtain and release these shorts using pristine source material.

Doug.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, most of the RKO shorts that get released do so by being (presumably) PD. Unlike some other PD content most of the RKO short DVD offerings are almost always of poor quality. However, this is likely all we'll ever get barring some massive collectors' effort.

It would be great if WB managed to buy out the license holders. At least then there would be some hope of getting definitive releases of these from their source elements. But that will probably never happen.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
In the mid-'80's, Orion Television was trying to sell a syndicated family series called "THAT'S FUNNY," which was conceived around a package of RKO comedy shorts. As such, I am inclined to believe that they are now in MGM's hands.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark Edward Heuck said:
In the mid-'80's, Orion Television was trying to sell a syndicated family series called "THAT'S FUNNY," which was conceived around a package of RKO comedy shorts. As such, I am inclined to believe that they are now in MGM's hands.
I have heard that, and you are probably correct. The shorts changed many hands over the years since RKO sold them. But MGM having control is not a comforting thought.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
AHEAD OF TODAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT...

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 4/2/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0rkGgqr-C_gNmh23N0a15egxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-2-11_02_02.jpg
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_01_02_01.jpg
FREE AND EASY/ESTRELLADOS BUSTER KEATON DUAL LANGUAGE DOUBLE FEATURE(1930) It’s Buster’s Talkie debut with a special “as you’ve never heard it before” bonus! Keaton skewers Hollywood itself with the tale of a wannabe starlet (Anita Page) that arrives in Tinseltown with some extra baggage — an over-protective mother (Trixie Friganza) and an even more over-protective gas station attendant (Keaton). A coterie of star cameos make an appearance, and co-starring Robert Montgomery who plays a “Latin lover,” no less! BONUS FEATURE: Free and Easy is now paired with its Spanish language version, Estrellados (1930) complete with English captions. Rarely seen since its initial overseas release, Estrellados is a prime example of the once customary practice of “parallel production” that helped Hollywood market their fare overseas during the silent-to-sound transition. It’s a fully alternative version of the film, shot simultaneously with Free and Easy on the same sets but with Buster alongside a totally different Spanish speaking cast. ¡Viva la Comedia!
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_01_02_03.jpg
MARINE BOY: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (1966-67) Marine Boy returns for a second volume of classic ’American anime’ adventures! Operating out of the Ocean Patrol Marine Headquarters, superscientist Dr. Mariner outfits his stalwart son with all the aquatic accoutrements needed to keep the seas safe for all mankind. From Oxy-Gum and bulletproof wet suit, to flying subs and propeller shoes, Marine Boy has what it takes to face a variety of fearsome foes above and below the ocean’s surface. Dive deep into this 3-Disc, 26-Episode Collection with villains like Skwid, Stormbrane, Count Shark, Professor Beelzebub and Captain Wraith and more who must learn to beware the boomerang of Marine Boy as he cruises the sea aboard the submarine P-1 alongside little Clicli, Professor Fumble, mermaid Neptina, dolphin best friend Splasher, and Ocean Patrol agents Bullton and Piper.As the title song tells you, “he’s a very special boy!”
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_03_02_02.jpg
BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940 (1940) Norman Taurog and MGM nabbed the unpartnered Fred Astaire and paired him up with terpsichorean titaness Eleanor Powell to end up with the most sublime piece of tap ever recorded on celluloid. Astaire plays ace hoofer Johnny Brett whose best pal King Shaw (George Murphy) accidentally hones in on Johnny’s big break and gets to dance alongside Broadway star Clare Bennett (Powell). The film is iridescent with sparkling Cole Porter tunes including “Begin the Beguine’s” moment of tap transcendence. Also includes featurette“Hollywood: Begin the Beguine” and the Our Gang short “The Big Premiere”. I’LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (1951) Doris Day and Danny Thomas play Gus and Grace LeBoy Kahn in this affectionate, human and humane musical biopic about the man behind the pop songs that defined a generation. “It Had to Be You,” “Makin’ Whoopee” and “Love Me or Leave Me” are among the 23 song Kahn cavalcade that depicts Kahn’s meteoric rise to the top of the charts and his crashing fall, along with Wall Street, in 1929. Directed with the pitch-perfect precision from the great Michael Curtiz. Also includes a vintage short, The Screen Director and the Looney Tunes classic, Lovelorn Leghorn. THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY (1982) Peter Weir’s adventure romance, set against the Indonesian revolution of 1965, made a superstar out of Mel Gibson and brought the world’s attention to the astonishing talent of Linda Hunt. Gibson plays Guy Hamilton, a rather sallow and shallow foreign correspondent covering the chaos while Hunt plays his translator and guide, Billy Kwan. Kwan acts as a Virgil to Hamilton’s Dante, leading him from the hell of journalistic indifference to compassion and his Beatrice, diplomatic attache Jill Bryant (Sigourney Weaver). THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP (1982) Robin Williams proved his brilliance extended beyond improvisation with his leading dramatic role in this adaptation of the beloved John Irving classic, “The World According to Garp.” Williams plays T.S. Garp, novelist son of strident feminist Jenny Fields (Glenn Close), who must wrestle his way through a life full of gender politics, parenthood, adultery, tragedy and recovery as he searches for his place. John Lithgow’s performance as Roberta Muldoon, a transgender NFL Pro, cemented his place as one of the character greats.
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_05_02_02.jpg
Check out the 15th Annual Telluride Comedy Fest featuring an assortment of stars from our favorite comedy series OF ALL EXISTENCE, Childrens Hospital! And this year we’re punch pleased to sponsor the improv on the icy slopes! How? VIP Table tickets and assorted DVD giveaways including Childrens Hospital S4 and The Unsinkable Molly Brown will be awarded to lucky Telluride residents and visitors! As Rob Corddry (The Daily Show, Hot Tub Time Machine) said, “I will continue to attend [Telluride Comedy Festival] until I die.” And since he’s not dead, see him there along with Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Wyatt Cenac, Nick Kroll, Jamie Denbo and Jessica Chaffin aka Ronna and Beverly, Brian Huskey, Jason Mantzoukas, and Seth Morris. For info click here or tune into KOTO!
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_05_02_04.jpg
This President’s Day Weekend, we’re happy to co-sponsor Boston’s 39th annual Sci-Fi Film Festival at the Somerville Theatre that concludes 24 hour marathon of out of this world cinema — including several films you can find on Warner Archive like The World, the Flesh and the Devil and The Power. Check the site for a full schedule of events and tickets!
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_01_05_02_06.jpg
We just updated our Warner Archive Instant Roku app to include a Watch List which helps keep track of what films and TV shows among the hundreds available that you'd like to see in a very easy way. And if you use a PC/Mac or iPad, hold on — forthcoming updates will include a Watch List that will help coordinate viewing among different devices. And if you don’t have Warner Archive Instant yet, and you like the kinds of stuff in this newsletter, why don’t you try it FREE for 2 weeks and see what we’re talking about?
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_02_07.jpg
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_02_09.jpg
wac-new-release-2-11_02_07_02_12.jpg
wac-new-release-1-7-14_02_10.png
WarnerArchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Muchacho Marinero!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0204WACNRAeml&ref=EW0211A&utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EWACNR140211

---------------------------------------------------------

© 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks