What's new

**** WARNER ANNOUNCEMENT: DVD TO BLU-RAY UPGRADE PROGRAM **** (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

GET
BLU THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT GROUP LAUNCHES
DVD TO BLU-RAY UPGRADE PROGRAM

Consumers Can Exchange Their Standard Definition DVDs and See Their Favorite Films
the Way They Were Meant To Be Seen with the Absolute Best Picture and Sound

Over 50 of Warner Home Video’s Most Sought-After Titles Available to Upgrade Including “10,000 B.C.” ”Wedding Crashers” and “A Christmas Story”

Burbank, Calif., November 17, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group today launched “DVD2Blu.com,” a site that allows consumers to upgrade the movies they already own on DVD to Blu-Ray Disc, the absolute best way to watch movies at home. Consumers can select from over 50 of Warner Home Video’s most sought-after titles to upgrade including “Body of Lies,” “A Christmas Story” and “Michael Clayton.” “DVD2Blu is a great way for consumers to start or expand their Blu-ray Disc collection,” said Dorinda Marticorena, senior vice president, Worldwide Marketing and High Definition, Warner Home Video. “We’re launching the program with a wide range of titles that will appeal to a broad audience. In the coming months, we’re looking to expand the program and make additional titles available.” The DVD2Blu program debuts at a time when consumers are rapidly adopting Blu-ray Disc. According to figures compiled by the Digital Entertainment Group through the first three quarters of 2009, Blu-ray Disc set-top player sales grew 112 percent over the same period last year. This holiday season, consumers can expect to see Blu-ray player prices starting around $100, making it much easier for home audiences to see films the way they were meant to be seen on their HDTV. Through DVD2Blu, consumers can now experience their favorite movies again for the very first time in stunning 1080p picture quality and crisp, superior sound that only comes from a Blu-ray Disc. Titles such as “Training Day,” “Deliverance” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” can be upgraded for as little as $7.95 plus shipping. Consumers who place orders over $25 will receive free shipping. The process to upgrade is simple. Consumers select the titles they want to upgrade on DVD2Blu.com, mail in their standard DVDs with pre-paid postage and a short time later receive copies of the same film on Blu-ray Disc. For a complete list of titles visit DVD2Blu.com. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group is proud to be a leader in environmental stewardship and is committed to recycling the DVDs that consumers send in as part of the DVD2Blu program. The intellectual property is fully destroyed and all of the physical components are reused or recycled. For more information on Warner Bros. environmental initiatives, please visithttp://wbenvironmental.warnerbros.com/.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Wow. Even if I could upgrade all 50 titles, that would only cover 2% of my collection. I guess this program doesn't hurt anything, but it would hardly be the final straw to nudge me over the line. That being said, it's a fantastic way to suck yet even more double-dip money out of folks on titles they may never have considered upgrading. Gotta hand it to them, that's a pretty slick idea.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
DESTROYED???

Wouldn't a UPC proof of purchase return be a better way? No, wait then the consumer would have both...
Pox on it!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I don't understand why the DVDs are being destroyed either. Why don't they donate them to charities or libraries?

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Another U.S. only Warner program. These guys must still think Christopher Columbus was nuts, you do fall off the planet once you leave the United States.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, they have improved the pricing to $4.95 and $6.95 (depending on the title) for the upgrades from DVD2BLU at Warners.

Originally Posted by Simon Howson

I don't understand why the DVDs are being destroyed either. Why don't they donate them to charities or libraries?

Well I'd imagine when they destroy 'em, they have some process for separating the inked label and metallic data layers from the plastic-ey clear layer, then reuse the clear layer, or melt it and reuse the material, reuse the metallic stuff, and do who-knows-what with the label layer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Reposted from the similar thread in the blu-ray software forum area:

Just in case people didn't realize that you can send in any DVD that was commercially produced (not DVD copies, or burned DVDs, must be commercially pressed) and take part in the DVD2BLU promotion. So, if you had a title that gave you separate widescreen and fullscreen DVDs of the same title, send in the fullscreen DVD for any blu-ray title that Warner is offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks